T Nation

Hunting Season 2012

Football has more than a few threads, as it should. I think we need at least one thread for the sport that goes back to the dawn of time.

So who else is going out to kill Bambi, Bullwinkle or any of his furry woodland friends this year?


Just got this baby a few weeks ago. Bow season starts in my part of the great state of VA, right about now. I hope to get out this evening.

I’ve been out a couple times this year for archery. Haven’t seen anything. After this rain passes through, I will be in a tree!


here is my bow’s sister!

I only hunt nude, but I will cover myself in mud, as that’s part of nature, and will only kill with a stick I have sharpened with my own teeth. I believe in keeping The Hunt (indeed capital T, capital H) as real as can be.

I haven’t caught much in all the years I’ve been doing this other than an elk that I must assume was quite elderly or infirm or in some way diseased.

Because of my job I only get about 1-2 weekends off in the fall/early winter.
I always schedule one of them during the rifle season. When it rolls around I will be leaving either late Thursday night or early Friday morning and hopefully won’t be home until Sunday night!
The zone I hunt in only allows for 1 tag per hunter this year, but since I find being out in the woods for a weekend so therapeutic, I may just stay the whole weekend even if I get one on the first day.
Just got a brad new Savage .308 this year, can’t wait to try her out…


My 12 year old with his buddy and bambi’s mom.

Spike buck my 17 year old shot.

We hunt in a shed with my buddy using his crossbows. It’s like catching fish in a bucket.

Any of you fellahs sausage makers? I was smoking some venison pepperoni and burnt the shit out of it unfortunately.

[quote]Sharp4850 wrote:
Because of my job I only get about 1-2 weekends off in the fall/early winter.
I always schedule one of them during the rifle season. When it rolls around I will be leaving either late Thursday night or early Friday morning and hopefully won’t be home until Sunday night!
The zone I hunt in only allows for 1 tag per hunter this year, but since I find being out in the woods for a weekend so therapeutic, I may just stay the whole weekend even if I get one on the first day.
Just got a brad new Savage .308 this year, can’t wait to try her out…[/quote]

Are you in Michigan?

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]Sharp4850 wrote:
Because of my job I only get about 1-2 weekends off in the fall/early winter.
I always schedule one of them during the rifle season. When it rolls around I will be leaving either late Thursday night or early Friday morning and hopefully won’t be home until Sunday night!
The zone I hunt in only allows for 1 tag per hunter this year, but since I find being out in the woods for a weekend so therapeutic, I may just stay the whole weekend even if I get one on the first day.
Just got a brad new Savage .308 this year, can’t wait to try her out…[/quote]

Are you in Michigan?
[/quote]
Minnesota actually. Are they switching to hunter’s choice in MI as well?
I wasn’t sure if the tagging change in my zone this year was because of the droughtlike conditions all summer or if our zone had just been overhunted last season.

[quote]Sharp4850 wrote:

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]Sharp4850 wrote:
Because of my job I only get about 1-2 weekends off in the fall/early winter.
I always schedule one of them during the rifle season. When it rolls around I will be leaving either late Thursday night or early Friday morning and hopefully won’t be home until Sunday night!
The zone I hunt in only allows for 1 tag per hunter this year, but since I find being out in the woods for a weekend so therapeutic, I may just stay the whole weekend even if I get one on the first day.
Just got a brad new Savage .308 this year, can’t wait to try her out…[/quote]

Are you in Michigan?
[/quote]
Minnesota actually. Are they switching to hunter’s choice in MI as well?
I wasn’t sure if the tagging change in my zone this year was because of the droughtlike conditions all summer or if our zone had just been overhunted last season.[/quote]

Not hunters choice but they are limiting antlerless permits in the north. I just asked because our season opens on the 15th and you talked of different zones.

Speaking of drought we have been hit with Epizootic hemorrhagic disease that is carried by midges that have been prolific breeders due to the excessively dry season.

I’ll be out there shooting at bambi.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
This Saturday, opening day, my GF and I will be hunting wapiti and deer horseback and side by side right out the back door of my house. I live a few feet from a national forest.[/quote]

Are you allowed to feed them? In Maryland we can. My buddy spends about $450 a year on corn. We took out 17 deer between about 10 guys.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]Sharp4850 wrote:

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]Sharp4850 wrote:
Because of my job I only get about 1-2 weekends off in the fall/early winter.
I always schedule one of them during the rifle season. When it rolls around I will be leaving either late Thursday night or early Friday morning and hopefully won’t be home until Sunday night!
The zone I hunt in only allows for 1 tag per hunter this year, but since I find being out in the woods for a weekend so therapeutic, I may just stay the whole weekend even if I get one on the first day.
Just got a brad new Savage .308 this year, can’t wait to try her out…[/quote]

Are you in Michigan?
[/quote]
Minnesota actually. Are they switching to hunter’s choice in MI as well?
I wasn’t sure if the tagging change in my zone this year was because of the droughtlike conditions all summer or if our zone had just been overhunted last season.[/quote]

Not hunters choice but they are limiting antlerless permits in the north. I just asked because our season opens on the 15th and you talked of different zones.

Speaking of drought we have been hit with Epizootic hemorrhagic disease that is carried by midges that have been prolific breeders due to the excessively dry season.[/quote]
That’s really a shame. I haven’t heard anything about EHD in MN, but I know that they were discovering some cases in southern WI. I’m not sure how well midges will spread as it starts to get colder, but hopefully if it does come to MN from WI it will be in the south (I hunt up north).
Also, is your opener the 15th this month or next month? We open November 3rd, but I won’t be able to hunt until the weekend of the 10th. I’m getting antsy!

[quote]pushharder wrote:
This Saturday, opening day, my GF and I will be hunting wapiti and deer horseback and side by side right out the back door of my house. I live a few feet from a national forest.[/quote]
This is seriously cool. How many can you tag?

On a related note, does anyone here hunt wolf? They’re opening a wolf season here this year, I had been considering getting a permit, but I have zero experience hunting them. Might be too late to purchase the permit at this point anyway, but it’s not that expensive and a wolf pelt would be a pretty cool trophy.

Already took a bear last month and actually just got back from a moose hunt, my roommate won a tag. Now I am just waiting for deer season to open up, only a couple weeks.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.