T Nation

Hungry in the Morning... Not

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any good recipies or know how to deal with “not-hungry” in the morning? It feels like I’ve tried everything, it takes few hours before my apetite awakens and I can eat good amounts of food during the day, but in the morning - it is just not possible.

It feels like I’m going to throw up after 2 eggs and a slice of bread, I manage to down it with some milk and protein powder and a fruit, but I love real food and hate drinking powder especially in the morning - sets bad frame for the entire day.

Are there any way to activate hunger or maybe some recipe that is easy to down and has great nutritional content? I’m ever bulking and there more calories the better.

Any help and suggestions are greatly appriciated.

Thank you.

What are you eating the night before?

Casein protein shake? Cottage cheese?

Some people stay full from their meal the night before.

It’s usually shake consisting of whey and cottage cheese, but I tried to remove it for a couple of weeks with no luck. The only time I’m hungry in the morning is when I eat like once the day before and that hunger gets shut down pretty quickly too, few eggs fix it.

The only thing I can eat a lot of in the morning is pizza. I’ve no idea why.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
What are you eating the night before?

Casein protein shake? Cottage cheese?

Some people stay full from their meal the night before. [/quote]

+1 to this question

Shows that your bedtime nurition is working, at least.

On a more serious note, chew gum as soon as you wake up. The sensation of “eating” can prompt your body into feeling hungry quicker.

I’ll try that gum “trick”, thanks Dave.

I’m very seldom hungry upon waking myself. I have found that blending my breakfast works very well and it’s easy to consume. If you are interested in some ideas, send me a P.M.

I’m def interested in some ideas!

Just going to throw it out there, when blending oats - i get gassy few hours later and it’s just gases. Otherwise I would blend like a maniac. I can eat oats just fine non-blended. This is probably the onyl food that gets my gassy too. Stupid mornings! :slight_smile:

about 2yrs ago i got fucking SICK of eating eggs and toast every morning. i had been doing it for about 12wks the same way. 1/2cup egg whites, 1 egg, turkey bacon and toast.

i just couldn’t eat it.

so i fixed that by just having a big ole’ shake instead.

milk, whey, oats. quick, easy, tastey…and most importantly NOT eggs.

well if you get gassy just have some whey in a shaker with some WHOLE milk and a cup of oats on the side.

that’s about 700 calories right there.
-1.5C whole milk
-2 scoop whey
-1 cup oats

I could be wrong but I think this could be a symptom of a sluggish metabolism. I suffered from this when I was on a high calorie/low carb phase. I was literally feeling sick looking at the giant ham and mushroom omlette I used to prepare in the mornings.

When I upped my workout frequency my appetite picked up and I now look forward to my breakfast, regardless of how much I have eaten before bed the night before.

how many hours of sleep do you get per night?

For me, sleep less.

I was getting about 9 hours of sleep a night and waking up with zero hunger. My appetite would climb up to normal levels a few hours later, but that meant I could only eat a shake and peanut butter for breakfast, and I hate doing that, I feel like my workouts are much better later that day when I get solid protein and fats in me first thing.

At night I would eat a huge bowl of cottage cheese and Bulgarian yogurt and then head to bed.

At first I thought that I was still “full” from the cheese, as was mentioned, but after experimenting with that, there is little chance that something you ate 8-9 hours ago is still being felt.

I tried sleeping 7 hours a night, getting a little less sleep raises leptin, which increases your appetite. This works really well.

Even with my gym workloads, since my job doesn’t involve physical activity beyond walking, I found that 7 hours is still easily sufficient most of the time.

After especially hard workouts you need more sleep and you should account for that, but don’t always just think “I need exactly 8 hours of sleep or I will not grow”.

Recovery should be variable based on your training, dont just hit it with a “one fits all”, you wouldn’t do it with nutrition why do you do it with rest ?

I’ll take a stab at your oat farts.

When you said ‘just gas’, I am assuming no scent; this happens to me all the time when I have carbonation, due to Co2 in it’s gas form.

Relating it to your shake, does the shake volumize a lot when you make it (1 cup oats and 1 cup milk = 3 cups somehow), if so you may be blending air into your shake, which is a great trick for people NOT in your position who are hungry, as it fills them up; but the intake of air has to leave somehow.

[quote]Quadforce wrote:
The only thing I can eat a lot of in the morning is pizza. I’ve no idea why.[/quote]

Are you experiencing anxiety in the morning? Pizza is a common comfort food and may provide a sense of relief when eaten in the midst of anxiety. The anxiety may bring upon nausea and nervousness. Force-feeding yourself is not easy under these conditions, so foods such as pizza may be easier consumed. Do you have any other comfort foods that are better nutritional choices than pizza you could eat for breakfast?

Or, do you want a more satiating meal for breakfast? You could try eating non-breakfast meals in place of eggs, toast, shakes, or whatever. Prepare ‘dinner meals’ ahead of time to quickly warm up in the morning for breakfast. Diced chicken/steak + diced red potatoes with hot sauce added for flavor is not much different in terms of macros than, say, eggs/whey + oats.

You need to find what works for you and gets you eating within a reasonable time frame upon waking.

Thanks for the repleys everyone! Really appriciated!

[quote]E99_Curt wrote:
how many hours of sleep do you get per night?[/quote]

Always, just a little bit over 8 hours.

[quote]JamesBrawn007 wrote:
I could be wrong but I think this could be a symptom of a sluggish metabolism. I suffered from this when I was on a high calorie/low carb phase. I was literally feeling sick looking at the giant ham and mushroom omlette I used to prepare in the mornings.

When I upped my workout frequency my appetite picked up and I now look forward to my breakfast, regardless of how much I have eaten before bed the night before.[/quote]

I’ve very hard time putting on weight and very easy to drop it. Always been a skinny bastard and I’m a student so my NEPA is pretty low.

[quote]Westclock wrote:
For me, sleep less.

I was getting about 9 hours of sleep a night and waking up with zero hunger. My appetite would climb up to normal levels a few hours later, but that meant I could only eat a shake and peanut butter for breakfast, and I hate doing that, I feel like my workouts are much better later that day when I get solid protein and fats in me first thing.

At night I would eat a huge bowl of cottage cheese and Bulgarian yogurt and then head to bed.

At first I thought that I was still “full” from the cheese, as was mentioned, but after experimenting with that, there is little chance that something you ate 8-9 hours ago is still being felt.

I tried sleeping 7 hours a night, getting a little less sleep raises leptin, which increases your appetite. This works really well.

Even with my gym workloads, since my job doesn’t involve physical activity beyond walking, I found that 7 hours is still easily sufficient most of the time.

After especially hard workouts you need more sleep and you should account for that, but don’t always just think “I need exactly 8 hours of sleep or I will not grow”.

Recovery should be variable based on your training, dont just hit it with a “one fits all”, you wouldn’t do it with nutrition why do you do it with rest ?[/quote]

I’ve not noticed any difference, tried to experiment with this one too. Sometimes I wake up hungry in the middle of the night though, but it only happens like once / monthly. Thanks for the idea though!

[quote]silverhydra wrote:
I’ll take a stab at your oat farts.

When you said ‘just gas’, I am assuming no scent; this happens to me all the time when I have carbonation, due to Co2 in it’s gas form.

Relating it to your shake, does the shake volumize a lot when you make it (1 cup oats and 1 cup milk = 3 cups somehow), if so you may be blending air into your shake, which is a great trick for people NOT in your position who are hungry, as it fills them up; but the intake of air has to leave somehow.[/quote]

Yes, it gets pretty big! How do I avoid this? Any tips =) ? You would be my hero if you could solve this mystery for me! So many doors would open right up!

[quote]kylec72 wrote:
Quadforce wrote:
The only thing I can eat a lot of in the morning is pizza. I’ve no idea why.

Are you experiencing anxiety in the morning? Pizza is a common comfort food and may provide a sense of relief when eaten in the midst of anxiety. The anxiety may bring upon nausea and nervousness. Force-feeding yourself is not easy under these conditions, so foods such as pizza may be easier consumed. Do you have any other comfort foods that are better nutritional choices than pizza you could eat for breakfast?

Or, do you want a more satiating meal for breakfast? You could try eating non-breakfast meals in place of eggs, toast, shakes, or whatever. Prepare ‘dinner meals’ ahead of time to quickly warm up in the morning for breakfast. Diced chicken/steak + diced red potatoes with hot sauce added for flavor is not much different in terms of macros than, say, eggs/whey + oats.

You need to find what works for you and gets you eating within a reasonable time frame upon waking.[/quote]

WOW MAN! That was deep and it could make some sense. I always been not-hungry-morning guy and I moved from Russia to Sweden when I was 16, before that I never had any pizza. I barely ate anything. Yes, I def have some nausea in the morning and some guy said that I might have morning-anorexia, but having a diagnos without a plan to cure it like having a barbell without weights. Everything except for the shakes a hard to get, even cookies, actually. Pancakaes are okay, I’ll be loading those during the bulk now. I don’t think I’ve any stressors in my life right now, everything seems smooth and usually I’m pretty effective a coping with those. Don’t know.

Hard to try and solve the shake problem without knowing what the blender looks like, but I’ll take some random stabs at it:

• If you blend, always have a lid on so only a finite amount of O2 can enter the shake

• Try different speeds, maybe a slower speed would be less volatile thus consume less O2

• After shaking, try stirring with a spoon or letting it sit so some O2 can leave, I doubt any bonds would occur that would physically trap the O2, so it must just be physically impaired from leaving the mixture