T Nation

Hunger on Low-Carb Days

I am thinking of setting up a simple carb rotation to drop a couple pounds of bodyfat. I was going to start with something simple like this:
http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=54347&tid=140

I am about 225 and my BF is probably in the low to mid teens. I am scheduled to get it checked professionally in a couple of weeks. I play sports recreationally and I just feel I am carrying around too much bodyfat right now. Before I got to my current size, I was always lean and athletic.

My question is, how do you guys control the hunger pains on low carb days? If I don’t eat carbs often, I feel hungry and rundown and emaciated. Maybe it is all in my head, but I don’t like the feeling.

By the way, I am doing a 3 day per week 5x5 routine. I am currently in a 3x3 phase.

[quote]Dre Cappa wrote:

My question is, how do you guys control the hunger pains on low carb days? [/quote]

Vegetables, sugar free jello, carbonated water, anything to make my stomach feel full until my body adjusts.

[quote]Dre Cappa wrote:
I am thinking of setting up a simple carb rotation to drop a couple pounds of bodyfat. I was going to start with something simple like this:
http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=54347&tid=140

I am about 225 and my BF is probably in the low to mid teens. I am scheduled to get it checked professionally in a couple of weeks. I play sports recreationally and I just feel I am carrying around too much bodyfat right now. Before I got to my current size, I was always lean and athletic.

My question is, how do you guys control the hunger pains on low carb days? If I don’t eat carbs often, I feel hungry and rundown and emaciated. Maybe it is all in my head, but I don’t like the feeling.

By the way, I am doing a 3 day per week 5x5 routine. I am currently in a 3x3 phase.
[/quote]

Dre,

Unfortunately it’s all a part of the game mate. The tendency is to feel most hungry after a high-carbohydrate day when you’ve ingested a whack of calories. The best tricks include:

• Focus on whole foods rather than shakes
  • Drink lots of water
  • Drink fizzy diet drinks
  • Chew sugar-free gum
  • Sugar-free jello (Ideally without sugar alcohols if possible)
  • Keep your protein high

Usually by your third low-carb day you won’t feel as hungry but your energy levels will suck.

One thing to try and keep in mind is that on your low-carb days you’ll feel depleted and start freaking out about losing muscle. Just remember that it’s simply because your muscles are flat and not necessarily breaking down. It’s been shown that it takes over 3 days to fully deplete the body of carbohydrates and move into ketosis so muscle breakdown is unlikely if your protein levels are high. The best thing to do is organise your heaviest days on the moderate and high carb days and your off days/cardio days on the low ones.

Hope that helps but shoot back with any questions.

Cheers,

Sasha

Shit . . . I thought you were following Dave Tate’s carb cycling approach (I should have clicked on the link).

Anyway, what he does is very effective as his is organised like this:

Day one: Low CHO day
Day two: Low CHO day
Day three: Low CHO day
Day four: High CHO day
Day five: Moderate CHO day
Day six: Moderate CHO day
Day seven: Moderate CHO day

For Dave he rotates between 150, 300 and 800 grams of CHO at approximately 250 lbs.

Good luck mate.

Sasha

IMO its as simple as TONS of dam,n veggies TONS green low impact veggies and water. Have your fats as well

Phill

Im trying something akin to this but more for gaining, Its HIGH on training days four days a week and Low on Off days three days a week going well and really Im leaning out a bit and having to up intake.

My low days are pretty low though around 40-50 g carbs. Then High Is damn high like his. low fat etc. Kind of fun as well. LOL been a bit since I tweeked diet.

Phill

[quote]SashaG wrote:
Shit . . . I thought you were following Dave Tate’s carb cycling approach (I should have clicked on the link).

Anyway, what he does is very effective as his is organised like this:

Day one: Low CHO day
Day two: Low CHO day
Day three: Low CHO day
Day four: High CHO day
Day five: Moderate CHO day
Day six: Moderate CHO day
Day seven: Moderate CHO day

For Dave he rotates between 150, 300 and 800 grams of CHO at approximately 250 lbs.

Good luck mate.

Sasha
[/quote]

Increase your saturated fat intake.

I definitely will be using this strategies. I figure with the PWO nutrition you are getting alot of carbs, so it makes sense to save training days for the moderate to high carb days.

I was thinking of using Saturday or Sunday to have a big cheat meal, then drop down to moderate carbs on Monday for the first workout of the week. I am not very good about counting carbs though, so that is where I get sidetracked.

Is a whey/casein mix shake before bed with some olive oil mixed in ok for the lower carb days?

[quote]SashaG wrote:

The best thing to do is organise your heaviest days on the moderate and high carb days and your off days/cardio days on the low ones.

Cheers,

Sasha

[/quote]

[quote]Dre Cappa wrote:
I definitely will be using this strategies. I figure with the PWO nutrition you are getting alot of carbs, so it makes sense to save training days for the moderate to high carb days.

I was thinking of using Saturday or Sunday to have a big cheat meal, then drop down to moderate carbs on Monday for the first workout of the week. I am not very good about counting carbs though, so that is where I get sidetracked.

Is a whey/casein mix shake before bed with some olive oil mixed in ok for the lower carb days?

SashaG wrote:

The best thing to do is organise your heaviest days on the moderate and high carb days and your off days/cardio days on the low ones.

Cheers,

Sasha

[/quote]

Yup . . . whey/casein blend is perfect pre-bed and that little bit of fat with olive oil will help to natural slow absorption. I personally prefer a probiotic yogurt for my fats as it improves your body’s natural digestive ability.

Just on your point though, if you are looking to drop BF% quite low I would limit yourself one high carb day on your heaviest training day and only one cheat day for cheat meal(s) - starting with a half days worth and eventually dropping it down to one meal’s worth. That’s all based on how you’re doing.

Good luck mate.

Sasha

I am not trying to get my BF extremely low. I want to try to get around 9-10% and see how I look and feel from there. I am currently strength training so I don’t want to drop too low. On that Elite article, Justin Harris said it is possible to still gain strength while leaning out a bit. Increased strength and leanness is what I am shooting for.

By the way, I was only going to do One cheat meal day a week. I was going to try Sunday so I am all carbed up for Monday’s workout. Plus Sunday is when I usually have dinner at my parents’ house. Mom’s cooking isn’t always the healthiest lol. I’ll eat my normal stuff for the first half of the day, then pig out for the rest of it.

[quote]SashaG wrote:
Dre Cappa wrote:

SashaG wrote:

Cheers,

Sasha

Yup . . . whey/casein blend is perfect pre-bed and that little bit of fat with olive oil will help to natural slow absorption. I personally prefer a probiotic yogurt for my fats as it improves your body’s natural digestive ability.

Just on your point though, if you are looking to drop BF% quite low I would limit yourself one high carb day on your heaviest training day and only one cheat day for cheat meal(s) - starting with a half days worth and eventually dropping it down to one meal’s worth. That’s all based on how you’re doing.

Good luck mate.

Sasha
[/quote]

[quote]Shoebolt wrote:
Increase your saturated fat intake.[/quote]

Agreed. If the carbs go down, the fats must go up. They are inversely related.

Most people that get all crazy and irritable on low carbs, probably are skimping on the fats. Fat is your friend, keeps you satisfied and it tastes good.

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
Shoebolt wrote:

Most people that get all crazy and irritable on low carbs, probably are skimping on the fats. Fat is your friend, keeps you satisfied and it tastes good.[/quote]

AS well not only do fats go down but many short them selves on sats first when cutting to Much so. You aint gotta go crazy with them but keep them up with others

Phill

Phill, what are some good fat sources? I know about olive oil, nuts, natural PB. What are some good saturated ones to have?

[quote]Phill wrote:
greekdawg wrote:
Shoebolt wrote:

Most people that get all crazy and irritable on low carbs, probably are skimping on the fats. Fat is your friend, keeps you satisfied and it tastes good.

AS well not only do fats go down but many short them selves on sats first when cutting to Much so. You aint gotta go crazy with them but keep them up with others

Phill

[/quote]

red meat.

Eat more fat and you won’t feel hungry actually quiet the opposite.

[quote]Dre Cappa wrote:
Phill, what are some good fat sources? I know about olive oil, nuts, natural PB. What are some good saturated ones to have?

Phill wrote:
greekdawg wrote:
Shoebolt wrote:

Phill

[/quote]

Yes like below said Red meat, eggs, pork, fattier poultry. One thing to remember that many by pass or ignore, red meat, eggs etc are actually usually higher in the PUFA’s and MUFA"s then Sats but they are a good source.

Full fat dairy, whip cream. I personally like coconut the shredded non sweetened kind Or coconut milk. Man mix Coconut milk with a Metabolic Drive shake PURE gold. and coconut has many health benefits and will give you just peachy skin and hair LOL

Hope that helps,

Phill

I’m cutting weight right now, low carb. I have found that eating raw almonds throughout the day helps.

[quote]jit07 wrote:
I’m cutting weight right now, low carb. I have found that eating raw almonds throughout the day helps.[/quote]

Same here jit07. I find if I eat a handful at a time a few times a day, it curbs my appetite.

Thanks, fellas. It’ll be a struggle but well worth it in the end. For breakfast I might do eggs, and some bacon or sausage. I’m not a big fan of almonds, but I can bite the bullet on those if I have to. I just have to drink plenty of water with them.

I can also do hamburgers with no bun, or steaks. I also eat alot of tuna. Hopefully once I get into a groove it will get easier. My problem is avoiding the damn vending machines at work, those things are the devil.

Cook with Organic Butter plus the sources you already mentioned.

I think there were a bunch of studies where saturated fat utilisation for energy was a lot higher when carb intake was lower. Whether this is possible for ‘carb-off’ days or long term carb restriction is something I don’t know however.