Hunger Games

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
I dunno man it shows a frame with the ‘loading’ wheel in the middle, like it’s trying to load a picture, and therefore I can’t click on anything else. And PMing you isn’t appearing as an option in the drop-down :confused:

[/quote]

Dammit. Let’s make a thread about the topic instead, I guess. I wanted to catch up with you on other stuff too, but whatever. Alternatively… There is a terminal ballistics thread in the combat subforum… Not too much traffic, so you we could chat a bit there… Besides, you could comment on the other topics being discussed there and terminal ballistics in general if you’re interested. We only have one other marine commenting so far.

[/quote]

K I’ll check that thread out, sounds like a good idea.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Was VERY disappointed with the movie. Don’t wanna throw any spoilers out there though. [/quote]

So what were you disappointed in?

Acting?

Did they get away from the book?

To childish?[/quote]

Well the most accurate would be too childish. Like I said, don’t wanna spoil. The books may be better, haven’t read them.

I hated how they basically never forced the main characters to make any difficult moral decisions…there was always a convenient “other way”. Hard to explain, but if you watch it with that in mind you should see what I mean. [/quote]

The books are not childish, I went into reading them thinking that actually but it was pretty graphic. There were moral decisions in the book, the decisions she made in the first book set up for the repercussions in the second book.

Sad to hear. I left you a post in the meet push thread.
[/quote]

Agreed. that sucks they went pg-13 then

I’ve heard it being billed as the new “Lord of the Flies”. BULLSHIT!

on another note…

I hate calling “ripoff” but I agree it’s hard to ignore the similarities to Battle Royale.

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Was VERY disappointed with the movie. Don’t wanna throw any spoilers out there though. [/quote]

Acting?

To childish?[/quote]

Well the most accurate would be too childish. Like I said, don’t wanna spoil. The books may be better, haven’t read them.

I hated how they basically never forced the main characters to make any difficult moral decisions…there was always a convenient “other way”. Hard to explain, but if you watch it with that in mind you should see what I mean. [/quote]

The books are not childish, I went into reading them thinking that actually but it was pretty graphic. There were moral decisions in the book, the decisions she made in the first book set up for the repercussions in the second book.

[/quote]

Agreed. that sucks they went pg-13 then[/quote]

When I saw some of the trailers I actually feared this. I do not believe they have enough good actors or screen writers that can pull off the sheer volume of depression that this society was in.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Acting?

To childish?[/quote]

[/quote]

When I saw some of the trailers I actually feared this. I do not believe they have enough good actors or screen writers that can pull off the sheer volume of depression that this society was in. [/quote]

I was thinking the same. Also, in the trailers it does not seem they do some of the charaters justice. I saw ‘Cato’, and Thresh I believe. They were nowhere near the physical specimens I had in my mind

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Acting?

To childish?[/quote]

[/quote]

When I saw some of the trailers I actually feared this. I do not believe they have enough good actors or screen writers that can pull off the sheer volume of depression that this society was in. [/quote]

I was thinking the same. Also, in the trailers it does not seem they do some of the charaters justice. I saw ‘Cato’, and Thresh I believe. They were nowhere near the physical specimens I had in my mind[/quote]

Oh God great more hollywood fucking skinny as 5’5" guys who are supposed to be 6’5" guys from the books. FUCK

I read the books and thought they were pretty decent, the first one being better than the sequels. Written for teens but pretty good overall anyways.
haven’t seen the movie.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Acting?

To childish?[/quote]

[/quote]

I was thinking the same. Also, in the trailers it does not seem they do some of the charaters justice. I saw ‘Cato’, and Thresh I believe. They were nowhere near the physical specimens I had in my mind[/quote]

Oh God great more hollywood fucking skinny as 5’5" guys who are supposed to be 6’5" guys from the books. FUCK[/quote]

I’m afraid so. I mean I can understand some of them could be smaller because they don’t have food really. But, my mental picture of Thresh is a f’n beast. And he barley says a paragraph in the book.

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Acting?

To childish?[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh God great more hollywood fucking skinny as 5’5" guys who are supposed to be 6’5" guys from the books. FUCK[/quote]

I’m afraid so. I mean I can understand some of them could be smaller because they don’t have food really. But, my mental picture of Thresh is a f’n beast. And he barley says a paragraph in the book.[/quote]

Yea but those guys were from districts that train and prepare them for the games, so it makes sense they could be that size. I will watch this movie when it hits netflix probably. I just have heard to many mixed reviews

[quote]zenontheterrible wrote:
I read the books and thought they were pretty decent, the first one being better than the sequels. Written for teens but pretty good overall anyways.
haven’t seen the movie.
[/quote]

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Acting?

To childish?[/quote]

[/quote]

I’m afraid so. I mean I can understand some of them could be smaller because they don’t have food really. But, my mental picture of Thresh is a f’n beast. And he barley says a paragraph in the book.[/quote]

Yea but those guys were from districts that train and prepare them for the games, so it makes sense they could be that size. I will watch this movie when it hits netflix probably. I just have heard to many mixed reviews[/quote]

Yup. I might go see it this weekend.

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Acting?

To childish?[/quote]

[/quote]

Yea but those guys were from districts that train and prepare them for the games, so it makes sense they could be that size. I will watch this movie when it hits netflix probably. I just have heard to many mixed reviews[/quote]

Yup. I might go see it this weekend.
[/quote]

Cool, let us know what you think, you might change my mind.

Will do.

Late to the game, but I thought this was funny.

[quote]waldo21212 wrote:
Late to the game, but I thought this was funny.[/quote]

Funny

OP is that a geological map of Texas you have as your avi?

I give another thumbs up for the books.

First book was really good. Second pretty good (repetition combined with giving more time to the things I didn’t like about the first book), third is just ok.

I enjoyed the movie. Didn’t fuck it up too much. But I would have wanted to see Cato vs Thresh

[quote]Dr.Matt581 wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:
i fell into the hype, and baught and read ‘Hunger Games’ from wally word (only 6.29) Anyways, maybe I’ve missed it, but I’m supprised this hasn’t had any threads about it. Anyone one else read it? I think there could be a lot of good discussions about a lot of the situations in the book. [/quote]

From what I gather, this is a story about a futuristic dystopian society that forces people to compete to the death in a game for the amusement of others. Isn’t that the general plot from Death Race 2000?[/quote]

Wasn’t that also the plot to Arnold movie The Running Man, which was based on one of Stephen King’s Richard Bachman stories?

Come to think of it, it was also kind of the plot to a James Caan movie called Rollerball. That’s an early 1970s movie about this fatal roller derby-type sport that takes place in a future dystopian society. Actually a pretty good movie from what I recall.

Come to think of it some more, it was also the premise of a original series Star Trek episode called The Gamesters of Triskelion.

Maybe it’s just a really old science fiction story device that was originally borrowed from the coliseum circuses of ancient Rome and it works so well that people keep redoing it.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Acting?

To childish?[/quote]

The book is the same way. It’s a bullshit teeny bopper romance novel.