Hunger Games

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
I enjoyed the first book and I am half way through the second. Well written engaging fun read. [/quote]

I’m gonna pick up the next 2 books, tomorrow.

[/quote]

I have a nook and I was able to buy the trilogy for like $17 so wasnt bad.

Not what I expected honestly.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
I enjoyed the first book and I am half way through the second. Well written engaging fun read. [/quote]

I’m gonna pick up the next 2 books, tomorrow.

[/quote]

I have a nook and I was able to buy the trilogy for like $17 so wasnt bad.

Not what I expected honestly.[/quote]

Good deal

mmmm… forbidden donut…

Wife told me I should read them, so I did. I really liked them. Lots of information to squeeze into 1hr40mins, but I enjoyed it. Hate being that guy, “Read the books first,man!” But I do think they help.

Was VERY disappointed with the movie. Don’t wanna throw any spoilers out there though.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
Was VERY disappointed with the movie. Don’t wanna throw any spoilers out there though. [/quote]

So what were you disappointed in?

Acting?

Did they get away from the book?

To childish?

I liked the hunger games movie but i liked the movie that it was ripped off from more

check out battle royal with english subs, unless your fluent in japanese

^prety sure the movie came out in japan a little after columbine thats why it isnt that well known until more recently

Was VERY disappointed with the movie. Don’t wanna throw any spoilers out there though. [/quote]

Off-topic but… You asked for comments on the racism/lack therof in the military thing in the first Trayvon Martin thread, I responded in the second… But that one is huge now, probably got lost in the shuffle. Just in case you still want to discuss that topic. And again, congrats on getting married. The high frequency approach works great in regards to doing stuff with the wife as it does in strength training, right? :slight_smile:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Acting?

To childish?[/quote]

Well the most accurate would be too childish. Like I said, don’t wanna spoil. The books may be better, haven’t read them.

I hated how they basically never forced the main characters to make any difficult moral decisions…there was always a convenient “other way”. Hard to explain, but if you watch it with that in mind you should see what I mean.

[quote]Blackaggar wrote:
I liked the hunger games movie but i liked the movie that it was ripped off from more

^prety sure the movie came out in japan a little after columbine thats why it isnt that well known until more recently[/quote]

For some reason I really don’t like the japanese live-action stuff… The manga and such were better.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Acting?

To childish?[/quote]

Well the most accurate would be too childish. Like I said, don’t wanna spoil. The books may be better, haven’t read them.

I hated how they basically never forced the main characters to make any difficult moral decisions…there was always a convenient “other way”. Hard to explain, but if you watch it with that in mind you should see what I mean. [/quote]

The books are not childish, I went into reading them thinking that actually but it was pretty graphic. There were moral decisions in the book, the decisions she made in the first book set up for the repercussions in the second book.

Sad to hear. I left you a post in the meet push thread.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

Off-topic but… You asked for comments on the racism/lack therof in the military thing in the first Trayvon Martin thread, I responded in the second… But that one is huge now, probably got lost in the shuffle. Just in case you still want to discuss that topic. And again, congrats on getting married. The high frequency approach works great in regards to doing stuff with the wife as it does in strength training, right? :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Good heavens I know, that/those thread(s) have blown up, can’t avoid seeing it on the news here if I watch for more than 5 minutes. Interesting to see the new details coming out, hopefully time will tell just how much is accurate and how much is a smokescreen.

And yes, the wifey does like HFT very much, makes for a happy couple haha. Sadly she’s in the hospital overnight, due to a minor surgery, but she should be fine. Any surgery can be scary to the people involved.

Sorry, I do believe I missed your response in the flood, not to mention I haven’t been checking back on that thread TOO much recently. I think much of the issue is simply lack of familiarity with people of other races. With “forced” integration and day-to-day involvement, you really don’t even see race anymore, but just culture. As in, I look at a black guy dressed all thuggish with his pants down below his ass, all sorts of useless cheap bling, etc, my first impression is that of a low-life thug. If he was white, asian, hispanic, indian, whatever, I’d think the exact same thoughts, because of his dress and mannerisms, not the color of his skin. Of course I also have some friends that dress/act like that, though admittedly few. I find most people who decide to emulate that culture, I just don’t have much in common with. Except lifting sometimes, haha. Doesn’t mean I’m rude to someone with that appearance though, but it’s usually a safe stereotype IME. Stereotypes exist for a reason…because often, they’re true.

[quote]Blackaggar wrote:

^prety sure the movie came out in japan a little after columbine thats why it isnt that well known until more recently[/quote]

For some reason I really don’t like the japanese live-action stuff… The manga and such were better.

[/quote]

There is a manga for Battle royal i think its 25 issues and the content is a lot more extreme in terms of violence etc then the movie

[/quote]

Good heavens I know, that/those thread(s) have blown up, can’t avoid seeing it on the news here if I watch for more than 5 minutes. Interesting to see the new details coming out, hopefully time will tell just how much is accurate and how much is a smokescreen.

And yes, the wifey does like HFT very much, makes for a happy couple haha. Sadly she’s in the hospital overnight, due to a minor surgery, but she should be fine. Any surgery can be scary to the people involved.

Sorry, I do believe I missed your response in the flood, not to mention I haven’t been checking back on that thread TOO much recently. I think much of the issue is simply lack of familiarity with people of other races. With “forced” integration and day-to-day involvement, you really don’t even see race anymore, but just culture. As in, I look at a black guy dressed all thuggish with his pants down below his ass, all sorts of useless cheap bling, etc, my first impression is that of a low-life thug. If he was white, asian, hispanic, indian, whatever, I’d think the exact same thoughts, because of his dress and mannerisms, not the color of his skin. Of course I also have some friends that dress/act like that, though admittedly few. I find most people who decide to emulate that culture, I just don’t have much in common with. Except lifting sometimes, haha. Doesn’t mean I’m rude to someone with that appearance though, but it’s usually a safe stereotype IME. Stereotypes exist for a reason…because often, they’re true. [/quote]

Hey, I don’t remember if I still have your e-mail… If you have 5 minutes, shoot me a mail (check profile details), I don’t want to derail this thread too much… Thought of some more stuff apart from my original response too.

[quote]Blackaggar wrote:

[quote]Blackaggar wrote:

[/quote]

There is a manga for Battle royal i think its 25 issues and the content is a lot more extreme in terms of violence etc then the movie[/quote]

There is also a second battle royale manga, but that one has a completely different/weird graphical style etc that I wasn’t too fond of…

The original manga is pretty good though. Well, apart from some of the big bad’s scenes, you’ll know it if you read it.

Hey, I don’t remember if I still have your e-mail… If you have 5 minutes, shoot me a mail (check profile details), I don’t want to derail this thread too much… Thought of some more stuff apart from my original response too.

[/quote]

True, derailing is never in fashion.

So you can’t even receive PMs? Cuz your profile is appearing all weird to me, like there’s something wrong with the link…never seen a hub do that before.

[/quote]

True, derailing is never in fashion.

So you can’t even receive PMs? Cuz your profile is appearing all weird to me, like there’s something wrong with the link…never seen a hub do that before. [/quote]

Huh.

Shit. Lessee…

In the meantime, I can enable pm’s and receive them, but not answer. So I keep them disabled.

Try now? Check under the annoyingly large profile pic.

I dunno man it shows a frame with the ‘loading’ wheel in the middle, like it’s trying to load a picture, and therefore I can’t click on anything else. And PMing you isn’t appearing as an option in the drop-down :confused:

I dunno man it shows a frame with the ‘loading’ wheel in the middle, like it’s trying to load a picture, and therefore I can’t click on anything else. And PMing you isn’t appearing as an option in the drop-down :confused:
[/quote]

Dammit. Let’s make a thread about the topic instead, I guess. I wanted to catch up with you on other stuff too, but whatever. Alternatively… There is a terminal ballistics thread in the combat subforum… Not too much traffic, so you we could chat a bit there… Besides, you could comment on the other topics being discussed there and terminal ballistics in general if you’re interested. We only have one other marine commenting so far.