T Nation

Humanity in the Face of Crisis

I will keep this simple: in the face of Katrina’s aftermath, the devastation is almost beyond comprehension. There have been a lot of stories about looters, random shootings in the streets, local/state/federal government failings, families displaced and so on. Personally, it breaks my heart every time I hear about it.

I guess that’s why I keep scouring the news for stories of hope and humanity, to find a shred of decency in the face of all this. I thought I would start up a thread to try to show some of the good amidst all of the tragedy. This isn’t to lose focus on the steps that must be taken to fix all of this mess… just to show that some good will occur in the face of utter tragedy.

I saw this article on Curt Schilling of the Boston Red Sox putting up a family of 9 for a year, so I wanted to share it with all. Always nice to see athletes putting those millions towards doing some good.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/09/06/schilling_family_is_hosting_nine_from_new_orleans/

Kuz

• Return with honor.

If I lived in the US I’d be offering space in my home…

I think you will find many stories of good… and many untold stories of simple decency that will never make the news.

The day everyone appreciates the small things, and gives them proper billing, is the day the world becomes a better place.

Thanks for putting this up to show that there are still many great people out there with open arms and open hearts…Just remember that there are TONS of NON-celebrities doing the same thing and they should also be acknowledged.

I think we as a country are doing a lot of good in the aftermath of Katrina. I am in the Florida/Alabama gulf coast region and even though we were affected by Katrina, we were not devasted (like we were with Ivan). At any rate, we are taking in refugees daily. Our state park is being used as a shelter as well as local churches. Yesterday at the gym, I saw 2 refugees from New Orleans getting a pass while they were here as well as a family of four at the local drug store buying up baby supplies. I think the story is the same everywhere in the South. People helping and opening their communities to take in those who were displaced.

[quote]lostinthought wrote:
Thanks for putting this up to show that there are still many great people out there with open arms and open hearts…Just remember that there are TONS of NON-celebrities doing the same thing and they should also be acknowledged. [/quote]

Absolutely - the celebs will get the publicity, but the real stars are those people who do this kind of thing completely under the radar and who really have nothing to gain from it all.

[quote]AC1 wrote:
I think we as a country are doing a lot of good in the aftermath of Katrina. I am in the Florida/Alabama gulf coast region and even though we were affected by Katrina, we were not devasted (like we were with Ivan). At any rate, we are taking in refugees daily. Our state park is being used as a shelter as well as local churches. Yesterday at the gym, I saw 2 refugees from New Orleans getting a pass while they were here as well as a family of four at the local drug store buying up baby supplies. I think the story is the same everywhere in the South. People helping and opening their communities to take in those who were displaced.[/quote]

Excellent news! Keep it coming.