Human Equivalent of Dog Food?

everybody want to be a BBer no body want to cook and eat the food

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
This thread is depressing. Cooking and eating can be one of the great joys of life and it can help performance at the same time. Each to his own, I guess. [/quote]

x100

Its def depressing that so many are so deeply entrenched in the rat race of this modern era and cannot even find time to enjoy our most basic pursuits/needs.

Even one generation ago, things were not this way…

why don’t you just eat actual dog food… I agree that this thread is a little depressing. I can sympathize to a degree b/c I know sometimes I eat stuff and don’t really enjoy it, i finish meals even when i’m full and sometimes when I have nothing else I eat raw tuna or a burger w/ no bun b/c I forgot to pick some up at the grocery store… but when I have the money I take the time to make my meals taste good. I mean honestly it doesn’t take that much to at least make them palatable. Do you really wanna eat slop all day long, or some meal replacement shake that taste like sweet and salty chalk? I mean idk what your metabolism is, or what kinda macros work for you, but you can make anything from a salad to a casserole taste halfway decent w/ minimal effort if you use your brain a little.

Set it at night. You now have food for days.

Brown rice and ground beef/pork/chicken/turkey. Add any veggies you might want and cook it all in a giant pot. I like it with hotsauce. Could live off that no problem.

Missing out on life if you don’t enjoy your food. Not hard at all to eat healthy and tasty at the same time.

[quote]chillain wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
This thread is depressing. Cooking and eating can be one of the great joys of life and it can help performance at the same time. Each to his own, I guess. [/quote]

x100

Its def depressing that so many are so deeply entrenched in the rat race of this modern era and cannot even find time to enjoy our most basic pursuits/needs.

Even one generation ago, things were not this way…

[/quote]

It has nothing to do with “rat race” lol. There are just a ton of things I find way more enjoyable than eating food. Eating food is kind of boring.

[quote]Severiano wrote:
Missing out on life if you don’t enjoy your food. Not hard at all to eat healthy and tasty at the same time. [/quote]

So says you! Not everyone is enamored with enjoying food. Food is tasty; I love food. I enjoy eating food as well, but there are other things that I enjoy way more lol. The less time I have to spend acquiring, preparing, cooking, and eating food, the more time I can spend having fun doing the things I really enjoy.

Dude, if someone else cooked for you, you would chow down.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Dude, if someone else cooked for you, you would chow down.[/quote]

Ya but most girls only do that for about a year before they get tired of it lol.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Dude, if someone else cooked for you, you would chow down.[/quote]

Ya but most girls only do that for about a year before they get tired of it lol.[/quote]

Get a new girl every year?

[quote]alkemyst wrote:
I think some people are missing the fact that many of us can barely find time for workouts, yet alone extra cooking, cleaning, etc that goes with it.[/quote]
If someone can “barely” find time to workout, they need a better plan. People need to eat, people who train need to eat more (generally speaking). People don’t need to train 4-5 hours per week every week.

As I said earlier, training on a regular basis comes with other time commitments bundled with it (commute to/from gym, washing/folding extra laundry, mental time/energy figuring out routines, etc.) It’s a fact of the lifting life that you just have to buckle down and factor in those variables and find a way to fit them into your life.

The idea of cooking in bulk that you suggested earlier is a very solid option, but I got the impression that even that was too much for the OP.

On a somewhat-related note, I’m so glad to see that folks are still reading the articles here. Dan John’s piece from four days ago talked exactly about this idea:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
everybody want to be a BBer no body want to cook and eat the food[/quote]

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

everybody want to be a BBer no body want to cook and eat the food[/quote]
[/quote]

glad someone caught that. It’s true that. For a long time after I dieted down years ago, I would tell myself I want to gain weight again. But in reality it just wasn’t a priority nor did I have the desire to spend extra time/money/effort eating/buying more food.

People need to realize there’s no free lunch, if you want something you have to sacrifice something in return.

These days people just expect that they should achieve their goals with the least amount of effort possible.

One option:

12oz half and half
2 whole raw omega 3 eggs
1 serving of whatever flavor protein powder

Shake it all up in a blender bottle, drink. I take some Betaine HCL capsules with this, to help digestion. As well as anything else; fish oil, etc.

~750 calories, 46g fat, 54g protein, 20g carbs

I do, however, agree with the sentiment that eating should be enjoyable. I sit down and enjoy several meals… just not all of them.

Another option. Make a huge pot of gumbo or hungarian-style goulash. Eat throughout the week.

Excellent gumbo recipe: Simple Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
Very important technique page: Creole/Cajun: Know Your Ingredients

Excellent goulash recipe: http://homepage.interaccess.com/~june4/goulash.html

For both of those, make sure they have lots of time on the stove so the flavors develop and meats break down. Minimum of 3 hours of cook time for the gumbo, and I think it was upwards of 6 for the goulash before it tasted awesome.

No real work during that time, just letting it sit on the stove. But damn, they’re good.

[quote]alternate wrote:
…because you have to wait for them to cool down after microwaving them.
[/quote]

…you youngsters and the troubles you deal with daily.

…if you want something you have to sacrifice something in return.

These days people just expect that they should achieve their goals with the least amount of effort possible.[/quote]

Eating is a fundamental part of the process.
If you don’t have the discipline to refuel the body, I suspect you are falling short of the ‘minimum standard’ throughout your routine. The path of least resistance is how water finds its way downhill, not the manner in which a man should lead his life!

Whole milk. The only naturally occurring food with respectable amounts of carbs, fat, protein and other micronutrients. But if you’re lactose intolerant, then out of luck.

[quote]MrMuzik wrote:
Whole milk. The only naturally occurring food with respectable amounts of carbs, fat, protein and other micronutrients. But if you’re lactose intolerant, then out of luck.[/quote]

I lived off of this for several months. I did fine. But lifting-wise, I’ve done better switching away from whole milk to half-and-half. More calories per unit of volume, and blends well with protein powder and other stuff. The fats are higher, carbs are lower, and it’s generally been better for me.

But if you can tolerate dairy, by all means use it.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]MrMuzik wrote:
Whole milk. The only naturally occurring food with respectable amounts of carbs, fat, protein and other micronutrients. But if you’re lactose intolerant, then out of luck.[/quote]

I lived off of this for several months. I did fine. But lifting-wise, I’ve done better switching away from whole milk to half-and-half. More calories per unit of volume, and blends well with protein powder and other stuff. The fats are higher, carbs are lower, and it’s generally been better for me.

But if you can tolerate dairy, by all means use it.[/quote]

Are you talking about the majority of your calories from half and half? OP was asking about quick foods that don’t need to be cooked or heated. Why would you want lower carb and protein but higher fat? Fat is important for hormones, but by itself is not a major anabolic nutrient. Even whole milk is about 50% calories from fat. Dropping some of the fat for more carbs and protein would be beneficial, IMO.