T Nation

Human Body 1 Pound of Muscle Gain Per Week?! wtf!

is this a load of crap or legit?

Well, according to CT, it is only possible to gain 2 pounds of lean muscle per month. The resto wolud be water and glycogen if not fat.

crap.

Don’t Care. That is out of my control. I just focus on things that are in my control like intensity, consistancy, routine and food intake.

Getting caught up in shit like that is the perfect way to fail.

Funny to notice that Zach Even-Esh has commented the “program”, if you scroll down a bit…

[quote]eaboadar wrote:
Well, according to CT, it is only possible to gain 2 pounds of lean muscle per month. The resto wolud be water and glycogen if not fat.[/quote]

not trying to disprove CT or anything, but last summer i had to bulk up for football and i gained 55 pounds between may and august. It was mainly a clean bulk, because i still had some form of abs post bulk

[quote]tommytoughnuts wrote:
eaboadar wrote:
Well, according to CT, it is only possible to gain 2 pounds of lean muscle per month. The resto wolud be water and glycogen if not fat.

not trying to disprove CT or anything, but last summer i had to bulk up for football and i gained 55 pounds between may and august. It was mainly a clean bulk, because i still had some form of abs post bulk[/quote]

I think it very dependent on what stage your at, someone who has been training solid for around 5 years would prob only look to gain around the 2 pound/month but someone only a year or two in would be different. Tho im not CT I would put money that he didnt mean that its ONLY possible to gain 2 pound/month standard.

It’s not crap, for this guy at least. All the muscle he gained was muscle he previously had, like muscle memory.

Eating tons of proteins, causing big tissue damages (5/5 tempo, sets taken to failure) and letting enough time to overcompensate…It could work…for a month or two. Muscle memory helps.

The general consensus around is that there is no set limit for muscle gain/time and thinking that you can only cain X amount of pounds is stupid and is setting mind limits that will result in failure.

CT is right, the body has a limited capacity for protein synthesis and manufacturing muscle tissue. But recovery and muscle synthesis is not linear. Ive seen various growth spurts for miself and with people I know that weight train. This happens specially when you change your routine or when you change your diet.

With this is mind, CT stated that if everything is done PERFECTLY the AVERAGE trainee will build around 3lbs of LBM per month. It doenst seem much by i will tell you, it is a LOT and it is HARD as hell. Gaining 36lbs of LBM in a year is REALLY hard, but the entire point of this is to challenge yourself and go for it. Again, it is not impossible to gain 25 pounds of LBM in 6 months, people shouldn’t be reading so much into articles.

This is simply taking the maximum advantage of newbie gains for untrained people + muscle memory. Which is pretty much what the shitty Colorado experiment was.

Comment by ‘Kristina’:

[quote]anonym wrote:
Comment by ‘Kristina’:

you are obviously happy with your results, and that is what matters most. But, here is the opinion of one female reader: you looked better and cuter before :> And not at all geeky. Before you had a toned, nice soccer-player-type body. Now you have a slightly freaky and excessively buff meat-head-football-player-type body. I?m sure many women would disagee with me. But, it?s not a bad thing if you slide back toward self-proclaimed geekiness or if you land somewhere in the middle of freak and geek.[/quote]

I bet she is fat. Just sayin’

[quote]Beerguy wrote:
anonym wrote:
Comment by ‘Kristina’:

you are obviously happy with your results, and that is what matters most. But, here is the opinion of one female reader: you looked better and cuter before :> And not at all geeky. Before you had a toned, nice soccer-player-type body. Now you have a slightly freaky and excessively buff meat-head-football-player-type body. I?m sure many women would disagee with me. But, it?s not a bad thing if you slide back toward self-proclaimed geekiness or if you land somewhere in the middle of freak and geek.

I bet she is fat. Just sayin’

[/quote]

I would have to agree…at the very least, she is probably 7+ points away from being a dime-piece.

Muscle memory is true. I vouch for it.

AND he’s back!

Like what’s been mentioned before I believe this rule is for purely glycogen-depleted, dehydrated muscle, which 95% of the population really doesn’t have to worry about. In reality, most people are more interested in lean body mass gains, which, by definition, includes glycogen and water weight, along with everything else that’s not fat. Well, at least that’s all I’M interested in, I don’t know about yall.

That was done with four hours in the gym.

I put in four training hours by wednesday.

four hours each day it said.