Huh? What's It All About?

I thought this place was about healthy nutrition, strength, personal accomplishment… and just plain lifting heavy shit.

Now I see it is all about glorifying diet and fake tans. Yay anorexia!

I stay out of the Rate My Physique and Bodybuilding forums.

Therefore, I have no idea what you are talking about.

When you feel in doubt, check the Olympic Lift Numbers/Log or the Westside/Pling threads. These threads are great examples of camaraderie between lifters and the willingness to help others out.

I refer to the current PI and the trend of MWA.

[quote]sic wrote:
I refer to the current PI and the trend of MWA. [/quote]

She gets a pass because she has big boobs.

[quote]sic wrote:
I refer to the current PI and the trend of MWA.[/quote]

MWA seems to be a very controversial subject here, not as much attitude as they were hoping I guess. Although that is a problem on the male side of things as well.

See, that’s what pisses me off. There is too much A(ttitude) in MWA and too little M(uscle).

“Powerful Images” like this just underline the diet trend.

Sure we don’t all have the same goals blah blah blah, but what are we really promoting here? Dieting until there is no visible muscle and possible health problems arise?

I’d love to see camraderie like Chewie mentioned… but that’s not enough. Patting each other on the back doesn’t do crap when everyone is hyper-focused on losing fat and “toning” instead of actually being strong and healthy.

[quote]sic wrote:
See, that’s what pisses me off. There is too much A(ttitude) in MWA and too little M(uscle).

Sure we don’t all have the same goals blah blah blah, but what are we really promoting here? Dieting until there is no visible muscle and possible health problems arise?

I’d love to see camraderie like Chewie mentioned… but that’s not enough. Patting each other on the back doesn’t do crap when everyone is hyper-focused on losing fat and “toning” instead of actually being strong and healthy.[/quote]

I’m all for trying to get more females on these boards and into weightlifting, but I completely agree with you that there is too much focus on losing weight and toning.

Obviously Biotest/T-Nation isn’t going to say anything as it would likely hurt business, but this sight is supposed (my understanding) to be geared towards bodybuilding and strength sports, not getting skinny with little muscle development. There are plenty of sights around for general fitness/weight loss. This is not one of them, which is what makes it unique.

If a male were to come on this sight and diet down to that state and be a vegetarian to boot, they would get ripped to shreds.

I’ve read this site for quite a few years now and I guess this is the growth market they have to cater for? The editors themselves pointed out the “hardcore” market is getting smaller and smaller.

I’m not going to pretend to have studied it in great detail, but MWA seems to be aimed at aspiring figure competitors only, is that what you meant?

[quote]Scott M wrote:
sic wrote:

MWA seems to be a very controversial subject here, not as much attitude as they were hoping I guess. Although that is a problem on the male side of things as well. [/quote]

Not that it’s controversial, it’s just that there is no place for strength athletes in MWA, it’s all about the figure girls.

Besides, a bench shirt or a squat suit don’t show as much tits and ass as a posing suit and high heels.

Ah, having read tedro’s post, I see.

[quote]sic wrote:

I’d love to see camraderie like Chewie mentioned… but that’s not enough. Patting each other on the back doesn’t do crap when everyone is hyper-focused on losing fat and “toning” instead of actually being strong and healthy.[/quote]

I hear ya, like the recent thread moaning about “if you don’t have anything nice to say, then don’t say anything”.

Suppose that why many great male and female posters left…

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:

Besides, a bench shirt or a squat suit don’t show as much tits and ass as a posing suit and high heels.

[/quote]

But I’ll be damned if it isn’t just as hot.

I meant controversial as in some of the long time members(like some of the women posting here) don’t agree with the direction the site is going in. The sorority used to be littered with some tough women that happened to be beautiful, now it’s more beauty and less tough you know?

[quote]Scott M wrote:
The sorority used to be littered with some tough women that happened to be beautiful, now it’s more beauty and less tough you know?[/quote]

sort of like the men’s side at T-Nation.

Exactly. Except, ruggedly handsome right? :wink:

I mentioned in my first post this is a both sex problem, fortunately they haven’t(yet) created a sub site for the male equivalent of this. Some of the figure competitors are fantastic and still fit in the T-vixen mold, some are pretty women who went on a diet. I feel like I’m going to dig myself a hole so I’ll hopefully leave it at this post.

[quote]tedro wrote:
sic wrote:

She gets a pass because she has big boobs.[/quote]

Sir, you have been around here long enough to know that this kind of statement requires photographic evidence.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
tedro wrote:
sic wrote:

She gets a pass because she has big boobs.

Sir, you have been around here long enough to know that this kind of statement requires photographic evidence.[/quote]

Just look on the right side of your screen.

Ya, no offense to Denise, perhaps it’s simply a bad picture. But, she does look a wee bit thin with not much muscle.

I mean, I’d hit it. But for the PI section… after being graced with beauties like Jen heath, Jamie Eason, and impressive physiques like caveman, I don’t see Denise on the same level I suppose.

The fake-factor of the fitness/figure industry doesn’t really promote healthful living. To me, it constitutes a questionable cultural practice that hides disordered eating and lifestyle habits under the guise of words like “fitness”.
I completely respect each person’s right to their own path, I just have some personal reservations about the strategic avoidance of discussions regarding the honest truth.

It takes a lot of work and dedication to achieve any kind of goal (strength or physique related) but l haven’t personally found the kind of inspiration or information that helps me as an athlete on MWA. I train and eat for performance and health and (as I’ve mentioned before) I’ll be damned if the most impressive thing about me is ever my appearance!

I’m trying to avoid engaging with current discourse on “figure as a sport” but let’s face it, this space is starting to become a bit polarized and as a female athlete, even I’m beginning to feel marginalized in all this talk of bikinis, heels and spray-tans. But then again, I’m brown, so what do I need to know about fake tans?

[quote]MsFit wrote:
sic wrote:
I thought this place was about healthy nutrition, strength, personal accomplishment… and just plain lifting heavy shit.

Whine, whine, whine. If you have such a problem with the topics being discussed why don’t you start some that you want to participate in rather than whine about what others want to talk about. Or is it that you’re jealous that you’ve never been a PI? I’ve seen this argument on this site before and its always the same people complaining but yet I never see them try to change things. If you want changes than make them your self and don’t wait for others to do it.[/quote]

Sic, in the video on your profile, how much are you DL’ing? Looks to be 225 and 5’s or is it 10’s for a set of 5?

I won’t speak for Sic but that’s a woman who trains hard.

[quote]MsFit wrote:
sic wrote:

Whine, whine, whine. If you have such a problem with the topics being discussed why don’t you start some that you want to participate in rather than whine about what others want to talk about. Or is it that you’re jealous that you’ve never been a PI? I’ve seen this argument on this site before and its always the same people complaining but yet I never see them try to change things. If you want changes than make them your self and don’t wait for others to do it.[/quote]

If the same situation here happened with guys then not only would alot of people leave the forums but a shit load of people would be “whineing”. Sure people dont have to read a thread that annoys them and sure they dont have to post mean things but people come to T-Nation for more than just the Articles and information, there is a atmosphere and stuff like this destroys it.

We got threads on this site with people posting pictures from bodybuilding.com to laugh at 150lb kids who think they are special for makeing some visible progress. Mean while we got a T-Nation site with the same thing happening and someone says something and the response is “whine whine whine”

Something is off here…