Hugh Jackman DLs 400lbs

Wasn’t he recently diagnosed with cancer or something like that too?

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Wasn’t he recently diagnosed with cancer or something like that too?[/quote]

I didn’t know about that, but I just looked it up. Apparently his second bout with skin cancer.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Yeah and apparently the acting doesn’t even begin to cover his medical bills so he’s been running a car wash to make ends meet.

[quote]twojarslave wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

I didn’t know about that, but I just looked it up. Apparently his second bout with skin cancer.

[/quote]

Ha, I thought it was a joke about how he looks like Walter White in the vid.

[quote]Diddy Ryder wrote:

[quote]twojarslave wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

Ha, I thought it was a joke about how he looks like Walter White in the vid.[/quote]

I can’t tell you how many times my cancer, rape, holocaust and downs syndrome jokes have backfired. What’s important is that you get back up and try again.

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
Am I the only one not so impressed with a 400 Lb DL? I mean, I did that shit in high school… And everyone else on the football team could too… I don’t think something that an average high school athlete can achieve is a big deal for a grown man with access to personal chefs, personal trainers and who’s been making a living by his physique for the past ten years… 400 Lbs? Whoopty fucking doo…[/quote]

See the “ben affleck is jacked” thread

there was a TN article a few years ago stating that any healthy full grown male should be able to pull 405 within 2yrs of training.

But to the AVG person, you’re talking about PICKING UP FOUR HUNDRED POUNDS!!!

He can purportedly Bench press 315 pounds. That’s pretty good, if it’s true.

[quote]csulli wrote:
Come on guys; no need to shit on someone deadlifting. He did 400 for 4 or 5 reps, that’s really not bad even if it was touch and go. I’m happy to see anyone deadlifting. It makes us look like bitter elitists to harp on how average it is in “our community”.[/quote]

This x 1000. No wonder everyone thinks people who take bodybuilding/powerlifting seriously are douche bags.

[quote][quote]Silyak wrote:
Last time this came around there were suspicions that this picture was shopped. I tend to agree. It’s actually quite difficult to get your upper arms to be that much bigger than your thighs. I don’t expect him to have body builder legs, but deadlifting 400+ is going to leave you with some hamstring mass and that picture has essentially no leg mass. [/quote]
Lol no. It’s incredibly common to get a 400+ pull with virtually no leg mass. Happens all the time.

[/quote]

I can’t comment on the leg mass/deadlift ratio, but I clearly remember the picture was photoshopped. I’m not sure if the one posted in this thread was the shopped version or the original, though. But there were definitely 2 versions floating around.

[quote]csulli wrote:
Come on guys; no need to shit on someone deadlifting. He did 400 for 4 or 5 reps, that’s really not bad even if it was touch and go. I’m happy to see anyone deadlifting. It makes us look like bitter elitists to harp on how average it is in “our community”.

I did that shit in high school… And everyone else on the football team could too… I don’t think something that an average high school athlete can achieve is a big deal for a grown man with access to personal chefs, personal trainers and who’s been making a living by his physique for the past ten years[/quote]

This doesn’t change your point at all, but let me assure you that times have changed. I train at a gym with a massive number of high school athletes from around the county. Even amongst football players I almost never see one of them pulling 4 plates. I don’t know how different it was back in the day, but they’re weak now.[/quote]

I wholeheartedly agree with csulli on point #1. The strength community has this nasty habit of shitting on lifts that are quite good for the “general population.” Deadlifting 400 pounds isn’t going to win anyone a trophy in a powerlifting meet, but on any given day in many gyms in the country (those not dedicated to training PL’s and OL’s), it WOULD probably be the biggest lift of the day. Not everyone is trying to be a competitive powerlifter.

Re: point #2, on “what can average high school athletes” lift, I find this fascinating and worthy of a brief discussion, if anyone cares to join.

I think there has been an “industry-wide” shift in HS football training even within the last decade (pertinent background info: I’m 28 years old, played college football from 2004-07, and was fortunate to attend a HS that had a decent strength coach who was so cutting edge that we did POWER CLEANS…laugh all you want, but I got to college and 75 percent of the kids on my team did not know how to perform a clean).

A lot of HS kids from my area hire some rather expensive private trainers, and they do a lot less truly “heavy” lifting than I was directed to in high school. These trainers are all about box jumps, plyometrics, lunges, weird stuff on a slideboard, etc. The movement towards “functional” fitness has made old-school heavy bench, squat, and deadlift seem too arcane and old-school to draw high-paying clients, who are basically parents that want to be wowed by the trainer and believe that their kid is getting some secret elite-level training. They don’t really want to be told that for most kids, doing some heavy box squats, power cleans, and one good pressing movement ought to be the main focus and everything else is gravy. They want to see kids running with parachutes and jumping with resistance bands and all kinds of fancy stuff (which DOES have its place, don’t get me wrong; I’m all for that stuff as a supplement to a good, solid lifting program).

Point is, HS football players probably do less heavy lifting than they used to, and in a weird way I don’t think they’re really that much “weaker” - but they never BOTHER to do those heavy deadlift days. If some of those kids devoted 8 weeks to improving their deadlift, they probably would pull 405, easily, but it just isn’t something they’re directed to do.

[quote]csulli wrote:
Come on guys; no need to shit on someone deadlifting. He did 400 for 4 or 5 reps, that’s really not bad even if it was touch and go. I’m happy to see anyone deadlifting. It makes us look like bitter elitists to harp on how average it is in “our community”.
[/quote]

Well said!

Just google image ‘Hugh Jackman legs’ or something. There are pics of him at the beach that show his legs are more proportioned than the pics in this thread. In all honesty it just looks like he probably hits upper body a little (which makes sense given his roles) and kind of has shitty high quad insertions.

I actually am a bit impressed by the 405 for reps deadlift. I really like that a mainstream actor is pulling some weight. My guess is a good deal of readers of the article never even heard of the movement.

As an almost 40 year old (making me younger) of the same height (if Jackman is 6’ 2") who has been lifting less than two years I still have not hit 405 for 1 rep. Call me weak (and I would not disagree) if you will but I look at 405 as my current goal to hit by the end of 2014. And if I am able to progress beyond this afterward I would not be dismissive of the weight.

Indeed, I find it counter-productive within our community to be dismissive of lifts less than ‘X’ - with X usually being a high number. We should be reinforcing realistic short term goals and continual progression. Doing so encourages beginners to be happy with their progression. Wanting the big numbers is natural - but without the short term satisfaction of hitting interim realistic goals the dissatisfaction of being too weak to hit the big numbers can be detrimental. This is a game of years and to label something like a 405 deadlift as trivial does strike me as elitist.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:
[/quote]

Well said!
[/quote]

Can’t be repeated enough!

Btw, lots of “normal” folk weigh less than 200 lbs, making that pitiful 400 deadlift greater than 2x bodyweight -plenty strong enough for most athletic needs.

edit to add: Jackman seems like one of the good dudes in Hollywood, definitely no reason to diss the man for any reason

Whatever…

Am I the only one not so impressed with a 400 Lb DL? I mean, I did that shit in high school… And everyone else on the football team could too… I don’t think something that an average high school athlete can achieve is a big deal for a grown man with access to personal chefs, personal trainers and who’s been making a living by his physique for the past ten years… 400 Lbs? Whoopty fucking doo…[/quote]

So which is it? Is it impressive or not? I’d like to really know hahaha

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

I did that shit in high school… And everyone else on the football team could too… I don’t think something that an average high school athlete can achieve is a big deal for a grown man with access to personal chefs, personal trainers and who’s been making a living by his physique for the past ten years[/quote]

This doesn’t change your point at all, but let me assure you that times have changed. I train at a gym with a massive number of high school athletes from around the county. Even amongst football players I almost never see one of them pulling 4 plates. I don’t know how different it was back in the day, but they’re weak now.[/quote]

I wholeheartedly agree with csulli on point #1. The strength community has this nasty habit of shitting on lifts that are quite good for the “general population.” Deadlifting 400 pounds isn’t going to win anyone a trophy in a powerlifting meet, but on any given day in many gyms in the country (those not dedicated to training PL’s and OL’s), it WOULD probably be the biggest lift of the day. Not everyone is trying to be a competitive powerlifter.

Re: point #2, on “what can average high school athletes” lift, I find this fascinating and worthy of a brief discussion, if anyone cares to join.

I think there has been an “industry-wide” shift in HS football training even within the last decade (pertinent background info: I’m 28 years old, played college football from 2004-07, and was fortunate to attend a HS that had a decent strength coach who was so cutting edge that we did POWER CLEANS…laugh all you want, but I got to college and 75 percent of the kids on my team did not know how to perform a clean).

A lot of HS kids from my area hire some rather expensive private trainers, and they do a lot less truly “heavy” lifting than I was directed to in high school. These trainers are all about box jumps, plyometrics, lunges, weird stuff on a slideboard, etc. The movement towards “functional” fitness has made old-school heavy bench, squat, and deadlift seem too arcane and old-school to draw high-paying clients, who are basically parents that want to be wowed by the trainer and believe that their kid is getting some secret elite-level training. They don’t really want to be told that for most kids, doing some heavy box squats, power cleans, and one good pressing movement ought to be the main focus and everything else is gravy. They want to see kids running with parachutes and jumping with resistance bands and all kinds of fancy stuff (which DOES have its place, don’t get me wrong; I’m all for that stuff as a supplement to a good, solid lifting program).

Point is, HS football players probably do less heavy lifting than they used to, and in a weird way I don’t think they’re really that much “weaker” - but they never BOTHER to do those heavy deadlift days. If some of those kids devoted 8 weeks to improving their deadlift, they probably would pull 405, easily, but it just isn’t something they’re directed to do.[/quote]

When I was in HS (88-92) I played football, wrestling and lacrosse. As an athlete, I had access to the weight room year round (even when I was in trouble or suspended, my coaches always let me in after school let out). I had some really good “Old School” coaches. MY wrestling coach actually had a pair of brass balls on his desk as a paperweight. The weight room was old, sweaty and had about eight flat benches, six squat racks, eight rubber mats that you were supposed to DL/Power Clean on, a neck machine and an old pec dec. My Junior year they got a few other things like a hack squat machine and a preacher curl station with a curl bar. And more olympic weights and bars than you know what to do with. It had a chalk board with the Power Club members names, numbers, total, and RANK. It was pretty competitive. You don’t see that type of shit now. My son’s gym at his school is fucking joke.

We did the Bigger, Faster, Stronger program: Squat, Bench, DL, Power Clean. If you got a total of 1200 lbs between all 4 lifts, you were considered a member of the “Power Club” and got a tee shirt that was different from the “regular” gym tee shirts. You could also make the Power Club by BW percentage, so we had several smaller guys that were strong for their size, but had less than a 1200 total. I got my shirt in my Junior year after two and half years of lifting based on a 1200 total.

Also in my Junior year they introduced the “Hex Bar DL” to the program. Back then I was pulling sumo style, so I didn’t really care for that bar very much. Since the school only bought two of the new Hex Bars, I just stuck with a traditional DL style. Now that I’m older, I DL with a conventional stance - it’s easier on my hips.

Now call me an elitist, but there were over a hundred guys in my school that could DL 405… It was a hard core, old school, 4 lift based weight room that blasted either heavy metal or hard core rap. If you didn’t put your weights back on the rack when you were done, you lost gym privileges for a week. If you didn’t break parallel on your squat, IT DIDN’T COUNT and you were called a pussy. If you were caught curling in the squat rack you were publicly shamed (seriously, not a T Nation joke). And you were only allowed to do other exercises AFTER you had completed your workout. If you did something unsafe, or had a bad attitude, coach made you run a stop sign (when you had to run from the gym to the stop sign at the top of the road and back - about 3/4 mile) and if you did it in less than 5 min, you had to do it again.

My high school produced a lot of state championship teams and athletes. It was a big deal to have a varsity jacket and it was a big deal to letter in more than one sport. I lettered in three. Does that make me an elitist? I don’t think so. I was fortunate enough to have a good set of coaches and a competitive environment that pushed me to kick ass… It’s too bad that you won’t find that kind of environment in many places any more.

EDIT: It also had CHALK. A big old fucking tub of CHALK in the middle of the room.

We did the Bigger, Faster, Stronger program: Squat, Bench, DL, Power Clean

there were over a hundred guys in my school that could DL 405… It was a hard core, old school, 4 lift based weight room that blasted either heavy metal or hard core rap. If you didn’t put your weights back on the rack when you were done, you lost gym privileges for a week. If you didn’t break parallel on your squat, IT DIDN’T COUNT and you were called a pussy.[/quote]
Damn dude; I don’t even know where to begin to describe how different things are now. I mean maybe you see it at your son’s school, but everything is literally the opposite. Tons of bullshit, not a focus on the main lifts. Squats are always done ridiculously high; you’re lucky to even see one half squat. Fucking everything counts, regardless of how bullshit the lift was. Guys throw on the fucking shoulder saver on the bench to cut 2" off the ROM, then bounce the bar off their chest and have their back spotter deadlift it off of them. Good lift; that was all you bro. No one puts their weights away.

Csulli makes a lot of good points. Just the other day I saw a guy (in his mid 20s) post a video of himself deadlifting 300 lbs on Facebook. This was met with about 50 “likes” and hoards of people congratulating him. Thats all fine and good, because honestly, good for that guy for actually deadlifting and getting stronger, even if his “stronger” is still pretty weak. But what bothered me were the multiple comments from people saying “wow, thats insane!” and even worse “I don’t see the point in lifting that much weight.” People have no frame of reference for what a strong deadlift is, and a lot of them apparently don’t “get” wanting to be strong in the first place. Maybe if they see more handsome, rich actors moving somewhat respectable weights that will change.

[quote]TrevorLPT wrote:
But what bothered me were the multiple comments from people saying “wow, thats insane!” and even worse “I don’t see the point in lifting that much weight.” People have no frame of reference for what a strong deadlift is, and a lot of them apparently don’t “get” wanting to be strong in the first place.[/quote]

I agree with this.

When you have no frame of reference for what the average human body, your human body, ACTUALLY can do, then there’s simply no way for people to actually place things into… perspective.