T Nation

Huge Thanks to Dayoff

[quote]Umbrata Fortis wrote:

[quote]Mad Martigan wrote:
Wut? So, the other guys’ numbers don’t matter cause it was just in training, but your # will matter, even though its just in training, too? That is bizzare, self-serving rationalization.

You don’t need to be the absolute best at something to be proud of an accomplishment. This is a fallacy that is driven into your teenage head by Nike, et al. Like I said above, you should be very proud because you are incredibly strong and will only get stronger as you get old.

But a little humility can go a long way. Work hard, and there’s a good chance you’ll break meaningful records like Flipcollar alluded to.[/quote]

If i sounded cocky, I didn’t mean to I know that there are kids stronger than mean, and I’m a dumb peice of shit when it comes down to it, Ive gotten to where I am due to over training and improper bench for for a long time. That is what I ment to say. Also I don’t really care about breaking records because I have no way to make them offical, no federations are close by so I just train to be as strong as I can, its just hella nice to say I’ve broken some record somewhere.[/quote]

I don’t think he was saying you were cocky, but rather hypocritical.

Not bad, by the way. However I do agree that your genetics aren’t that good. Before yesterday I would’ve said the opposite, but I saw some kid at my trainer’s yesterday that was our age but looked like he played in the NFL. THAT’s good genetics… sorry.

[quote]Umbrata Fortis wrote:

[quote]Mad Martigan wrote:
Wut? So, the other guys’ numbers don’t matter cause it was just in training, but your # will matter, even though its just in training, too? That is bizzare, self-serving rationalization.

You don’t need to be the absolute best at something to be proud of an accomplishment. This is a fallacy that is driven into your teenage head by Nike, et al. Like I said above, you should be very proud because you are incredibly strong and will only get stronger as you get old.

But a little humility can go a long way. Work hard, and there’s a good chance you’ll break meaningful records like Flipcollar alluded to.[/quote]

If i sounded cocky, I didn’t mean to I know that there are kids stronger than mean, and I’m a dumb peice of shit when it comes down to it, Ive gotten to where I am due to over training and improper bench for for a long time. That is what I ment to say. Also I don’t really care about breaking records because I have no way to make them offical, no federations are close by so I just train to be as strong as I can, its just hella nice to say I’ve broken some record somewhere.[/quote]

I don’t think he was saying you were cocky, but rather hypocritical.

Not bad, by the way. However I do agree that your genetics aren’t that good. Before yesterday I would’ve said the opposite, but I saw some kid at my trainer’s yesterday that was our age but looked like he played in the NFL. THAT’s good genetics… sorry.

[quote]bhssophomore wrote:
Not bad, by the way. However I do agree that your genetics aren’t that good. Before yesterday I would’ve said the opposite, but I saw some kid at my trainer’s yesterday that was our age but looked like he played in the NFL. THAT’s good genetics… sorry.[/quote]
You don’t know what the hell you’re talking about. People these days have youtube and sites like tnation and lift and elite and so on and you are inundated with ridiculous feats of strength and it desensitizes you to just how rare certain things are. 300+ bench press before age 16 is fucking good genetics whether you choose to believe so or not.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]bhssophomore wrote:
Not bad, by the way. However I do agree that your genetics aren’t that good. Before yesterday I would’ve said the opposite, but I saw some kid at my trainer’s yesterday that was our age but looked like he played in the NFL. THAT’s good genetics… sorry.[/quote]
You don’t know what the hell you’re talking about. People these days have youtube and sites like tnation and lift and elite and so on and you are inundated with ridiculous feats of strength and it desensitizes you to just how rare certain things are. 300+ bench press before age 16 is fucking good genetics whether you choose to believe so or not.[/quote]

Agreed. I was just thinking about this today. Only 100 years ago, most people only knew who the strongest guy was in their town, if at all, (and the prettiest girl, too, but I digress…). Forget TV and magazine, youtube, etc. just opens the chanels to such a greater sample. Our notion of what is strong is distorted.

Although, Americans, on average, are likely much weaker than their counterparts 100 years ago, owing in no small part to the internet.

Anyway, I take no stance on your genetic gifts, UF. All I know is, you are a strong 16yo and you have the potential to be a very strong man. Good work.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]bhssophomore wrote:
Not bad, by the way. However I do agree that your genetics aren’t that good. Before yesterday I would’ve said the opposite, but I saw some kid at my trainer’s yesterday that was our age but looked like he played in the NFL. THAT’s good genetics… sorry.[/quote]
You don’t know what the hell you’re talking about. People these days have youtube and sites like tnation and lift and elite and so on and you are inundated with ridiculous feats of strength and it desensitizes you to just how rare certain things are. 300+ bench press before age 16 is fucking good genetics whether you choose to believe so or not.[/quote]

Before 16? Hell yes that’s genetically gifted. 16 going on 17? I disagree. Maybe I am desensitized as to how rare certain things are, but that’s just my opinion.

Not trying to bash on him or anything, it’s a good lift. What I meant was that his genetics, while still good and will give him a decided advantage, aren’t ultimately superior or “awesome”.

I do feel like a dick now though. Sorry man.

[quote]bhssophomore wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]bhssophomore wrote:
Not bad, by the way. However I do agree that your genetics aren’t that good. Before yesterday I would’ve said the opposite, but I saw some kid at my trainer’s yesterday that was our age but looked like he played in the NFL. THAT’s good genetics… sorry.[/quote]
You don’t know what the hell you’re talking about. People these days have youtube and sites like tnation and lift and elite and so on and you are inundated with ridiculous feats of strength and it desensitizes you to just how rare certain things are. 300+ bench press before age 16 is fucking good genetics whether you choose to believe so or not.[/quote]

Before 16? Hell yes that’s genetically gifted. 16 going on 17? I disagree. Maybe I am desensitized as to how rare certain things are, but that’s just my opinion.

Not trying to bash on him or anything, it’s a good lift. What I meant was that his genetics, while still good and will give him a decided advantage, aren’t ultimately superior or “awesome”.

I do feel like a dick now though. Sorry man. [/quote]
The reason you think this is because you dont konw what I’ve delt wiht in traing. For an entire year of my training, I was in a Highschool weight room for 30 mins a day doing little to nothing, then i decided to get serious so i started hitting an actual gym, no supplements and little protien in my diet. Then i finally kicked it in, and started getting in body weight grams in protien eating well, and getting decent workouts in. That was the past year about. I also started at benching 115, so from 315 to 115 that isn’t to bad people like geroge leeman pete rubish started lifting earlier in there life and that is who I would be compared to when it comes to ages and lifting.

[quote]Umbrata Fortis wrote:

[quote]bhssophomore wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]bhssophomore wrote:
Not bad, by the way. However I do agree that your genetics aren’t that good. Before yesterday I would’ve said the opposite, but I saw some kid at my trainer’s yesterday that was our age but looked like he played in the NFL. THAT’s good genetics… sorry.[/quote]
You don’t know what the hell you’re talking about. People these days have youtube and sites like tnation and lift and elite and so on and you are inundated with ridiculous feats of strength and it desensitizes you to just how rare certain things are. 300+ bench press before age 16 is fucking good genetics whether you choose to believe so or not.[/quote]

Before 16? Hell yes that’s genetically gifted. 16 going on 17? I disagree. Maybe I am desensitized as to how rare certain things are, but that’s just my opinion.

Not trying to bash on him or anything, it’s a good lift. What I meant was that his genetics, while still good and will give him a decided advantage, aren’t ultimately superior or “awesome”.

I do feel like a dick now though. Sorry man. [/quote]
The reason you think this is because you dont konw what I’ve delt wiht in traing. For an entire year of my training, I was in a Highschool weight room for 30 mins a day doing little to nothing, then i decided to get serious so i started hitting an actual gym, no supplements and little protien in my diet. Then i finally kicked it in, and started getting in body weight grams in protien eating well, and getting decent workouts in. That was the past year about. I also started at benching 115, so from 315 to 115 that isn’t to bad people like geroge leeman pete rubish started lifting earlier in there life and that is who I would be compared to when it comes to ages and lifting.[/quote]

I’m in the same situation as you man. Freshman year I weighed 145 and could barely bench 95 lbs. Basically the same progression as you in my lifting thanks to my football coaches. And now at the end of my junior year I’m 210 benching 335 lbs. To me I don’t have “awesome” genetics.