Huge, Strong, Powerful Legs

I want my legs to be huge, powerful, and strong as hell. That’s my primary goal right now with my training. Not only do my other workouts/lifts progress better when I focus on legs (no shit right?) but I think powerful legs are the most intimidating and awesome thing out there. Can I get away with a 5 day split doing legs m/w/f? I’m thinking
Mon: Squat (heavy)
Tue: Push
Wed: Squat (lighter)
Fri: Pull
Sat: Squat (heavy)

or should I go 4 days and go
Wed: Pull
Fri: Squat (reps)

Anything helps, whatever is gonna help my legs get stronger and bigger I’m willing to do(even if it’s 3/wk 20 rep squats :P)

6’3" 183
Squat 265 for 3 yesterday.

google ‘smolov’

I once read that Tom Platz got his legs from a year+ of 20 rep squats. Not sure if it’s true.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
I once read that Tom Platz got his legs from a year+ of 20 rep squats. Not sure if it’s true.[/quote]

Could be (although you and I both know that it was 20 rep squats plus a gallon a day of steroids over the course of multiple years lol). That’ll make your legs big, but it’s far from the most efficient way to make them “strong as hell” like the OP said.

x2 on smolov

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:
I once read that Tom Platz got his legs from a year+ of 20 rep squats. Not sure if it’s true.[/quote]

Could be (although you and I both know that it was 20 rep squats plus a gallon a day of steroids over the course of multiple years lol). That’ll make your legs big, but it’s far from the most efficient way to make them “strong as hell” like the OP said.

x2 on smolov[/quote]

x3 on smolov… at least from what I know about it.

I would leave the 20 rep squats for things like working on willpower/intensity, and stimulating hormonal production. Which is why I’m really doing it.

Csulli- I think I understand the statement that 20 Rep squats are not the best way to get strong but at the same time Tom plats squatting 500lbs for 23 reps in my book is God damn powerful huge and insanely strong.

Where does deadlift fit in that split?

[quote]Reed wrote:
Csulli- I think I understand the statement that 20 Rep squats are not the best way to get strong but at the same time Tom plats squatting 500lbs for 23 reps in my book is God damn powerful huge and insanely strong. [/quote]

Pretty crazy isn’t it? I believe that was in his contest with Fred Hatfield (Dr. Squat). They did a max and then a rep contest. Platz completely smoked Fred in the rep contest (I think Dr. Squat got like 12). But in the max, Platz hit 765 and Hatfield got an 865 or something.

Anyway, Tom Platz was had crazy strong legs, but unless you are willing to take a bunch of steroids daily for years, there are better ways to improve your squat strength. And even if you aren’t natural, despite how insanely powerful Platz’s legs were, there were guys like Hatfield and Kaz and Dave Waddington who could squat yet more insane weights using their own different methods!

True but I find plats more impressive not taking anything at all from the other guys in that meet seeing as my Max is not even a light warmup for them lol. But Plats physique and training I prefer. I love right Rep squatting I do enough of it really but its insane. And a shit load of steroids aday doesn’t bother me lol I just don’t know a good source to get them. Other wise a 500lbs squat for 23 reps would be my goal lol.

[quote]Andrewdwatters1 wrote:
Can I get away with a 5 day split doing legs m/w/f? I’m thinking
Wed: Squat (lighter)
Fri: Pull
Sat: Squat (heavy)

or should I go 4 days and go
Wed: Pull
Fri: Squat (reps) [/quote]
There’s more to leg training than just squats. They’re a foundation, for sure, but factoring in deadlifts/deadlift variations and single-leg work will play a big role in building size.

You might be better off following a specifically-designed leg program for a while, rather than trying to cobble your own together just yet.
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_cure_for_ostrich_legs

[quote]whatever is gonna help my legs get stronger and bigger I’m willing to do(even if it’s 3/wk 20 rep squats :P)

6’3" 183[/quote]
Intimidatingly-bigger legs won’t happen for another 20-30 pounds or so.

[quote]Reed wrote:
Other wise a 500lbs squat for 23 reps would be my goal lol.[/quote]

I am almost throwing up in my mouth just thinking about it. I think I remember him talking about how when you feel like you can’t even struggle out one more rep, you have to find a way to do ten more. Very mental doing that as well as physical.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

x2 on smolov[/quote]

x3 on smolov… at least from what I know about it.

I would leave the 20 rep squats for things like working on willpower/intensity, and stimulating hormonal production. Which is why I’m really doing it.[/quote]

they are jolly good fun

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
google ‘smolov’[/quote]

fuck. that sounds… effective but painful as hell

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
google ‘smolov’[/quote]

[/quote]

Well… do you want huge, strong, powerful legs or not?!

[quote]whatever is gonna help my legs get stronger and bigger I’m willing to do(even if it’s 3/wk 20 rep squats :P)

6’3" 183[/quote]
Intimidatingly-bigger legs won’t happen for another 20-30 pounds or so.[/quote]

noted, but that’s the ultimate plan so no worries.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
google ‘smolov’[/quote]

[/quote]

Well… do you want huge, strong, powerful legs or not?![/quote]

fair enough

alright then. starting Smolov Monday, gonna do the 2 week intro cycle and the first 4 week base mesocycle and see where I’m at after that. 275 for 3 is current PR, ready to beat it.

alright then. starting Smolov Monday, gonna do the 2 week intro cycle and the first 4 week base mesocycle and see where I’m at after that. 275 for 3 is current PR, ready to beat it.
[/quote]

If you can do 275 for 3 you probably don’t need to do the intro cycle unless it’s been like several weeks since you’ve done a squat.

If you’re running Smolov with a 600+ squat, it’s a safe bet your legs will be legit.