Huge Problems Eating Enough

I have recently had a huge problem eating enough calories. The story goes like this. I’m fairly young. i’m 16. over the past 2 years i went from weighing 140 lbs at 6’ to 190 lbs at 6’ and maintaining the same body fat percentage.

6 months ago I broke 5 vertebraes in a snowboarding accident. I have recieved spinal fusion and i just finished my therapy and I’m ready to lift again. After surgery I dropped to an anorexic 150lbs and was just mentally incapable of handling what i went through. I finally got my shit together and just ate ate ate. I finally got back past 170 lbs.
I also started doing light weights about a month
ago. Starting a couple weeks ago and getting worse and worse was my bodies reaction to food. I feel as if my body rejects all the food I put into it. Everythig I eat gives me an upset stomach and usually results in diahrea. Not only am I getting an insufficient amount of calories but I can’t get nearly half the amount of protein my body needs and even most of that goes out in waste. My back is ready to get back into lifting but my stomach just says no.

Ive been to the doctor and he has no idea whats wrong with me. Ive had multiple tests done on this. Ive tried restircting my diet by reducing fats and sugars but nothing has worked. Has anyone had this problem. Is there anything I can do. All I want to do is get back to the way I was but not being able to eat puts me at an absolute disadvantage. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me.

im not an expert or anything (obviously) but have you tried increasing your intake by a few hundred calories every few weeks instead of all at once.

I have at first. everything was alright. I was eating a lot, gaining weight, everything was perfect. All of a sudden everything started going downhill

What have you been tested for? I dont wana scare you by listing anything that is probably not the problem.

1. Are you taking in a lot of caffeine?

2. Are you eating a processed food that might have changed its formula? Protein powder counts!

3. Have you tried eliminating obvious allergens like milk, eggs, soy and gluten?

4. Are you eating lots of acidic foods like tomatoes or oranges?

5. Did you start taking vitamin-C?

6. Are you under a lot of stress from school?

I’m not exactly sure what I have been tested for but the doc said there seems to be nothing wrong with me. There is no bacteria or anything unusual in m stomach. I have tried altering my diet in all those ways. I don’t take caffeine and I am not over stressed.

The only thing I can think of is I might be lacking vitamin C. I don’t take it regularly and my intake went lower since I have tried eliminating acidic foods such as oranges which contain a lot of it. Can vitamin C have such a profound effect on me?

[quote]hokejka wrote:
I have recently had a huge problem eating enough calories. The story goes like this. I’m fairly young. i’m 16. over the past 2 years i went from weighing 140 lbs at 6’ to 190 lbs at 6’ and maintaining the same body fat percentage.

6 months ago I broke 5 vertebraes in a snowboarding accident. I have recieved spinal fusion and i just finished my therapy and I’m ready to lift again. After surgery I dropped to an anorexic 150lbs and was just mentally incapable of handling what i went through. I finally got my shit together and just ate ate ate. I finally got back past 170 lbs.
I also started doing light weights about a month
ago. Starting a couple weeks ago and getting worse and worse was my bodies reaction to food. I feel as if my body rejects all the food I put into it. Everythig I eat gives me an upset stomach and usually results in diahrea. Not only am I getting an insufficient amount of calories but I can’t get nearly half the amount of protein my body needs and even most of that goes out in waste. My back is ready to get back into lifting but my stomach just says no.

Ive been to the doctor and he has no idea whats wrong with me. Ive had multiple tests done on this. Ive tried restircting my diet by reducing fats and sugars but nothing has worked. Has anyone had this problem. Is there anything I can do. All I want to do is get back to the way I was but not being able to eat puts me at an absolute disadvantage. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me.[/quote]

You ever tried digestive enzymes?? That might help with the upset stomach. You might want to consider HCL supplementation as well. Poliquin’s always ranting about how HCL deficient everyone is, even younger dudes like yourself.

I guess I’m confused as to whether you’ve got a big appetite and your stomach just gets queazy when you eat or if you have no appetite and you’re having to force-feed yourself.

you see the difference??

You said you started working out light about a month ago. How hard are you working out now? Just working harder in the gym and throwing some cardio in 3-4 times a week should get your appetite up. Just hitting heavy weights 4x a week for 60 minutes makes me very hungry.

I’m definately going to reserach HCL in depth. I’ve been on acidophilus for the past week. It seems to have made a small difference but not much. The difference might be also because I’m so careful with my diet.

My appetite is large but there were points where I did force feed. But since Ive been getting this problem I stopped the force feeding and have been paying a huge attention to my diet.

I’m going to try to get a food allergy test and see if I might be allergic to some basic food I eat regularly