Huge Improvements in Max-Rep-Set after Ratchet

Hi Coach

I noticed something very interesting. Within the I, BB program we do very little high rep sets. None besides the occasional max rep sets after a normal ramp or a ratchet.
But it’s those sets where I make almost unbelievable progress.

Example:

3 weeks ago I did a set of single-leg leg extension with 170 (pounds or whatever unit that’s supposted to be on the weight stack. Doesn’t matter for the example.) max rep style after a ratched. I did 7 reps.
Last week I did 11 resp with the same weight.
Yesterday I did a full 22 rep with the exact same weight on the same leg extension machine.

Same thing for bench press.
I improved from 1 rep with 407 pounds (October 6th 2009) to 2 reps with 429 pounds (this week).

But my back-of set (max reps) went from 7 x 316 after 7 sets of force spectrum ramping to 15 x 330!

I have no explanation why I progress so much on high rep work.

Can this be explained? Is it something you observed as well?

Cheers,
Para

[quote]ParagonA wrote:
Hi Coach

I noticed something very interesting. Within the I, BB program we do very little high rep sets. None besides the occasional max rep sets after a normal ramp or a ratchet.
But it’s those sets where I make almost unbelievable progress.

Example:

3 weeks ago I did a set of single-leg leg extension with 170 (pounds or whatever unit that’s supposted to be on the weight stack. Doesn’t matter for the example.) max rep style after a ratched. I did 7 reps.
Last week I did 11 resp with the same weight.
Yesterday I did a full 22 rep with the exact same weight on the same leg extension machine.

Same thing for bench press.
I improved from 1 rep with 407 pounds (October 6th 2009) to 2 reps with 429 pounds (this week).

But my back-of set (max reps) went from 7 x 316 after 7 sets of force spectrum ramping to 15 x 330!

I have no explanation why I progress so much on high rep work.

Can this be explained? Is it something you observed as well?

Cheers,
Para

[/quote]

First of all FANTASTIC PROGRESS. Seriously, those are amazing numbers.

Second PLEASE POST THIS IN THE ANACONDA USER FORUM… even if you are only using the training methods, it needs to be mentioned.

Third, it is not an unusual phenomenon. While I have rarely seen an improvement of this magnitude the phenomenon itself is a common theme. This is most likely due to a profound activation of the nervous system and a much fuller recover from session to session.

I DO use the full Anaconda protocol and will post it again in the correct forum (“Your Progress”).

I thought it could be due to nervous system activation and a completely altered rate of recovery. I use the Anaconda protocol since Feb 4th. Before that I used the old protocol (FINiBARS, SWF, SR, Grow!).
I truly believe that what you wrote about nervous system activation and the perfect rep is the most valuable information I ever read.

October to December I was catching up to old personal bests. 2010 I’ve been hitting PB after PB.

What’s been happening the past 4 months or so is still a bit unreal to me. Like a dream where I see myself gaining so damn much strengh and size/weight, too, but I can’t really understand/capture it.
I’m even more enthusiastic about it since I’m not new to weight liftig. I’ve been lifting weights for 20 years.

I gained 3 pounds of clean muscle mass within I month, which at my age or level of development (I’m certainly not a muscle monster, not by any stretch of the imagination. But as an all-time natural bodybuilder I’m pretty happy with my strenght levels and also my overall mass) is a pretty sick number.

I’ll compete again end of this year and plan to be in my best shape ever.

Thank you very much for all you do for our beloved sport/way of living!

I’ve noticed this quite a bit as well. I’m not on the full protocol, but the strength gains I’m seeing are awesome! Even after blasting myself through that last ramping set my max reps sets are increasing at least as steadily as the ramping sets!! Great stuff Thibs!