Huge, Huge Fight!

Now im not sure of the date, but apparently Mayweather v De la Hoya is a done deal. Its happening in Vegas!

Predictions please…

Im saying Mayweathers going to be too fast and sharp for De la Hoya…

So Mayweather in 12

IMO DE Lahoya is done he hasnt had a thing left the love the passion to fight for some time. Not that he’s not skilled just lost the heart the drive.

we’ll see if he can fix that I think NOT.

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
IMO DE Lahoya is done he hasnt had a thing left the love the passion to fight for some time. Not that he’s not skilled just lost the heart the drive.

we’ll see if he can fix that I think NOT.

Phill[/quote]

What do you base your assesment on? Did Delahoya say anything publically to make you believe this?

I think Delahoya will have a tough time but will win.

Mayweather with another boring decision that he calls a masterpiece in the post fight interview

Just ever since his first loss and him his dad getting into it he has not seemed like the same fighter IMO. Just doesnt seem to be into it.

Again just my opinion
Phill

The fight is in May 2007 I believe…

you see how they made it for so far away usually it would be like 2 months but they r trying to get it huge i hear delahoya is getting 25 mill!!!

Does anyone know the weight difference between De la Hoya and Mayweather?

Does anyone know how old Oscar is? Why is he coming out of retirement for this? What is he trying to prove?

I think he won’t be able to hang unless he gets that left hook in!

[quote]Zeppelin795 wrote:
Does anyone know how old Oscar is? Why is he coming out of retirement for this? What is he trying to prove?

I think he won’t be able to hang unless he gets that left hook in![/quote]

Cinco de Mayo is the fight day. I would love to see Oscar win but…

[quote]vbm537 wrote:
Zeppelin795 wrote:

I think he won’t be able to hang unless he gets that left hook in!

Cinco de Mayo is the fight day. I would love to see Oscar win but…[/quote]

…he wont

[quote]Dave.P wrote:
Mayweather with another boring decision that he calls a masterpiece in the post fight interview[/quote]

I know what your saying about boring wins. The Baldomir fight was not a great spectacle, but you’ve still gotta hand it to Mayweather…every round on 2 out of the 3 judges scorecards.

Basically i reckon Mayweather feels that if he wins, he’s done enough. I see where he’s coming from. If you want a long AND healthy career in a sport as tough as boxing, doing just enough to win is a good strategy. Getting drawn into wars and throwing more punches and getting hit with more punches than you need to in order to win is probably not that clever!

Mayweather plays to his strengths…his unbelievable reflexes make him similar in some ways to Bernard Hopkins. ie he rarely gets hit. He knows he hasnt got immense power…so counter punching is his best strategy…even if its not the most entertaining. Def the best their is in boxing, at the moment tho

[quote]vision1 wrote:
Does anyone know the weight difference between De la Hoya and Mayweather?[/quote]

The fight will be at 154, I would be shocked if Mayweather weighs more than 150 for it. De La Hoya, I assume, will probably have 15-20 pounds on Floyd when he walks into the ring. That’s what truly makes this fight compelling. I have a feeling it will be just like Baldy-Floyd, though. A boring wide UD. Mayweather can’t crack an egg at 147 and he doesn’t want to test the waters with Oscar’s power.

Mayweather - the best boxer in the world IMHO, but not enough brains, charm, whatever to actually transcend the ring.

Look at fighters like Gatty who continue to reap the big fights and paydays even after Mayweather demolishes them. People like Gatty.

Same with De la Hoya - at the tail end if not end of his career and coming back for another huge payday while Mayweather will play the bad guy yet again for far less money.

Oh boy - well Mayweather over De la hoya.

But when will boxing promoters give us the fight we really want to see which is Mayweather-Hatton.

troop

[quote]atroopan wrote:
But when will boxing promoters give us the fight we really want to see which is Mayweather-Hatton.

troop
[/quote]

Or Calzaghe-Kessler, or a HW Champ vs a HW Champ, or etc etc. There are so many good fights out there that just aren’t made anymore.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
atroopan wrote:

troop

Or Calzaghe-Kessler, or a HW Champ vs a HW Champ, or etc etc. There are so many good fights out there that just aren’t made anymore.[/quote]

A year ago i thought Mayweather Hatton was THE fight as well, but i doubt it’ll happen now. At welterweight against Collazo, Hatton looked poor and could of easily lost. He’s too easy to hit, so despite his awesome work rate i reckon Mayweather would sit back and pick him off, especially at welterwieght

Mayweather’s been a bit of a yawner in his last two as well - although I guess we couldn’t have asked of him the same thrashing of Judah as for Gatti.

These two have to drop back down to their ‘natural’ bodyweights and have a go at it.

Still I too think Mayweather would demolish Hatton at the lower weight, but would still love to see it.

Mayweather is just trying to maximize his earnings though at this point and a Mayweather-Hatton fight is still not gonna bring as much candy as a fight with de la Hoya. Especially since Hatton already has two fights lined - why should Mayweather sit around and wait for him.

If these two do fight though - for boxing fans I think it would be the biggest thing in years.

troop

This is more of a money fight. Those two will get paid alot for this.
Mayweather is an amazing boxer. I do not like the way he chooses fights. He should fight Margarito. If Mayweather is going to fight one of the big name veterans I would prefer Mosley over Oscar. I think Mosley would have a better chance.
Mayweather wants the safe fights and declare himself the greatest and then retire. Fine, whatever, hurry up and retire.
They need a boxing league, no sanctioning bodies and one title for every weight class. That way no ducking fights if you wanted to be champ.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Just ever since his first loss and him his dad getting into it he has not seemed like the same fighter IMO. Just doesnt seem to be into it.

Again just my opinion
Phill[/quote]

I agree entirely. I’ve always been a big Oscar fan. I used to love watching him fight, but he’s not the same fighter anymore. It could be that he lost some of his speed as he moved up in weightclass, or it could be that he lost something less quantifiable. Either way, he’s not the same.

He’s had an amazing career and he’ll always be remembered as one of the greats, but it’s time to retire.

[quote]taylorsj wrote:
Phill wrote:

Again just my opinion
Phill

I agree entirely. I’ve always been a big Oscar fan. I used to love watching him fight, but he’s not the same fighter anymore. It could be that he lost some of his speed as he moved up in weightclass, or it could be that he lost something less quantifiable. Either way, he’s not the same.

He’s had an amazing career and he’ll always be remembered as one of the greats, but it’s time to retire. [/quote]

Considering Oscar’s losses are to Trinidad, Mosley and Hopkins, he has nothing to be ashamed of. Three great fighters.