HT's What The Hell Am I Doing Part II

Michael,
Hope you don’t mind if we continue your thread

They should give this thread a waiver for maximum length. With Mike, you, and Barry posting here and the videos posted this has got to be one of the most motivational and high quality threads on this site.

thanks guys!!!

all the vids i posted on the old thread are on my t-page, jfyi

been on vacation to the mountains with the gf and our kids, back now, and ready to start again hard. ill post again tonight.

moments ago…

deadlift deload 5 x 5 160kg, 100% raw

hang high pulls 5x5x90kg

ghr 4x5

done!

not sure what i was doing today, sort of strayed from the 5/3/1 template, decided to work up on both bench and overhead stuff.

1. military 70kgx5, 80kgx3, 90kgx2,2

2. bench press 80kgx5, 90kgx3, 100kgx2

3. chins 4x6xbw

done.

squats today,

1. box squat 160kgx5, 170kgx5, 180kgx5. last set was tough, i remember 180kg x 6 being pretty easy last time, so this was discouraging. left knee (possible torn meniscus) is not feeling too good. last week i dropped my box height about an inch, and it was a mistake, still not fully recovered from that. i am considering dropping squats all together and for low body work just doing deadlifts, ghr and sled/prowler.

2. ghr 2x10

3. roman chair abds 2x10

done.

[video]1309[/video]

today-

gonna do pc with 5/3/1 template.

so my 3 lifts i am doing with 5/3/1 is deadlift, pc, and squat(for now, might drop squatting at some point, depends on my knee)

1. power cleans, 70kgx5, 80kgx5, 90kgx5.

2. dips 5x10xbw

3. dumbbell rows 5x10

4. prowler 2 trips.

Greetings from the Missouri Mule. Training is frustrating at best. artsy fartsy gym. most workouts aren’t worth posting. Monday was the best for a while.
CG 135x10,205X8,255X5X3,275X5X2
pulldowns 250X10,270X8,290X6
pullups bwX5X2,X4
DL off 4X4" blocks 315X10,405X6X2,495X6 overhand with straps
Dl from def 315X10 standing on quarters
pullover 115X10,185X10X3
seated preacher curl 115X10,135X10,155X6X2
pressdowns90X12,100X12,110X10
ab roller
foam roller
A great week to all.

Real glad to hear from you Barry. Training might be fustrating but you are still one strong mofo, for an old guy that is.

barry, good stuff as usual, please post all you want.

second cycle of 5/3/1 with sq and deadlift starts today after a deload of sorts last week.

squats started a few days ago but i am going to start over with new loads adjusted down, as i feel my first week session was a bit too heavy to make progress over the next few weeks.

1. deadlift 365x5, 400x5, 420x8

2. ghr, 5x10,6,5,5,5,

3. roman chair abds 2x15

4. barbell curs 5x10

[video]1310[/video]

i am in terrible shape. noticed this, that other guys doing 5/3/1 that are pulling less or the same as me for 1 rep are doing MANY more reps than I on the lower percents. i need to make conditioning a part of EVERY day.

oh, and i am FAT.

oh, and my surgical elbow is really bad lately. and my “good” elbow is starting to hurt like my bad one was before the injury. so ANY heavy pressing is out. 50-100 reps on all pressing from now on(5x10, 10x10, 3x33, 5x20 etc.,)

yesterday. A1 chins, 5x5
A2 blast strap pushups with 2 chains 5x10

conditioning: barbell complex (40kg)x10 2 rounds of:

curls
cleans
pendaley rows
deads
front squats
presses

done!

1. box squat, 310x5, 330x5, 370x8

2. ghr 5 x 7

3. roman chair abds, 1 x 20

4. barbell curls 5 sets

pushups with 1 chain on neck, 50 reps, (20, 10, 10, 10)

HT, you’re to strong for your joints to handle. Hope the elbows and knee feel better. Have you noticed all the strong, good looking guys on this forum are bald with goatees?

HT,
I am always impressed with how you work around injuries…
and your form is always PERFECT.
nice work, who cares what the other kids are doing. :slight_smile:

kmc

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
HT, you’re to strong for your joints to handle. Hope the elbows and knee feel better. Have you noticed all the strong, good looking guys on this forum are bald with goatees?[/quote]

seems that way to me too. if i strain too hard under a weight, i usually tear something. if i dont get it quick and clean, i usually dont get it at all. i bail out on anything i have to grind through.

oh, and yes, we ARE handsome devils aren’t we?

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:
HT,

kmc[/quote]

thanks lots!

since i am always injured, i had to learn or quit training!

[quote]heavythrower wrote:
kmcnyc wrote:
HT,

kmc

thanks lots!

since i am always injured, i had to learn or quit training![/quote]

KMC makes a great point. You don’t piss and moan about injuries. You just re-evaluate the situation and adjust your training. More people (including myself) should follow your example.

thanks again, here is some perspective:

when i was in my early 20’s, i benched 385 x 2 touch and go, and paused 390 RAW.

i benched 325 5 x 5 RAW, all reps paused

i close grip benched 335x3

incline CLOSE grip bench 335x1

seated shoulder pressed 275 x 5 FULL ROM with no elbow wraps.

i have squatted 540lbs DEEP RAW and did 600 of a low box with briefs and belt, and 680 of a box full gear just a few years ago.

NOW, if i can do 10 bw dips i feel good. if i can do 30 pushups i think it is a good day. a good squat day is 400 for some reps off a HIGH box. if i think about how little i can do in relation to what i have done when young and healthy, i would just fucking quit and take up golf or fishing.

an ex girlfriend of mine had a very severely handicapped son, at 11 years old he had the fine motor and gross motor function of a 6month old. over the course of 2 years, that kid taught me to focus on your abilities not on your disabilities. i lift to feel good and to challenge myself, i a 400lb bench is no longer an option, then i will try to see how heavy i can do rows or chins with, or how fast i can do 100 pushups, etc.

do the best you can with what cards your delt with. i have pretty much only one good elbow and one good knee, and one good shoulder now. well, fuck it… just work as hard as you can with what you have, and be happy.

just minutes ago:

1. pendaley rows: 100kgx5, 110kgx5, 120kgx4, 130kgx3

2. barbell clean and press(from hang) 10x10x40kg

done.

thanks again, here is some perspective:

when i was in my early 20’s, i benched 385 x 2 touch and go, and paused 390 RAW.

i benched 325 5 x 5 RAW, all reps paused

i close grip benched 335x3

incline CLOSE grip bench 335x1

seated shoulder pressed 275 x 5 FULL ROM with no elbow wraps.

i have squatted 540lbs DEEP RAW and did 600 of a low box with briefs and belt, and 680 of a box full gear just a few years ago.

NOW, if i can do 10 bw dips i feel good. if i can do 30 pushups i think it is a good day. a good squat day is 400 for some reps off a HIGH box. if i think about how little i can do in relation to what i have done when young and healthy, i would just fucking quit and take up golf or fishing.

an ex girlfriend of mine had a very severely handicapped son, at 11 years old he had the fine motor and gross motor function of a 6month old. over the course of 2 years, that kid taught me to focus on your abilities not on your disabilities. i lift to feel good and to challenge myself, i a 400lb bench is no longer an option, then i will try to see how heavy i can do rows or chins with, or how fast i can do 100 pushups, etc.

do the best you can with what cards your delt with. i have pretty much only one good elbow and one good knee, and one good shoulder now. well, fuck it… just work as hard as you can with what you have, and be happy.

just minutes ago. ANY heavy pushing/pressing is out for a long time. so i am trying to push up my deadlift and all my pulling movements. rows, chins, cleans, deadlifts, and trying to just maintain with my squats off a high box(see above video).

1. pendaley rows: 100kgx5, 110kgx5, 120kgx4, 130kgx3

2. barbell clean and press(from hang) 10x10x40kg

done.

it was 743 degrees in the garage today. jfyi.

a1 deadlift, 420x3, 440x3, 470x6

b1 ghr 5x7
b2 barbell curls 5x5x60kg
b3 ghr abds 5x6

[video]1320[/video]