HS Lacrosse Player Log

Monday Jan 28 2019

Bench-

5’s week

115x5, 130x5, 150x11

115x5x5 (FSL Sets)

Bench Assistance-

chin-ups w/BW (8 reps on 1st set) & db rows w/45’s (17 reps on 1st set) 100 total reps

db bench w/45’s 50 total reps (12 reps of 1st set)

Decent session today. Didn’t do any skill work today cause I had a lacrosse camp yesterday. Happy I got 11 reps on my PR set, although my form was kinda off today so I probably could’ve gotten 1 or 2 more if I had kept my form cleaner. Felt weak on chin ups today (probably cause I was a little bloated from junk food yesterday), so I had to switch to db rows pretty early. Form was also kinda off on db bench.

Tuesday Jan 29 2019

Squat-

190x5, 220x5, 250x9

145x10x5 (BBB sets)

Ok session today. Weather was bad so couldn’t do sprints. I guess I could have still done jumps and throws I just didn’t think of that. Couldn’t to power cleans either because of a scab that I had opened from deadlifting last week. So everytime I tried to clean I got an intense pain on that scab. I’ll try bandaging it when I do snatches and deadlifts this week. Satisfied with 9 reps on my PR set. I decided to try the Boring But Big Assistance, and although it’s a proven assistance template for mass, I didn’t enjoy the lack of variation as much. I’m going to go back to Triumvirate or maybe the dave tate periodization template in the 531 book.

So I’m back to logging here again! I actually have been logging consistently, just on my phone notes rather than here. My summer season has just kicked off so I thought this would be a good time to show my in-season training. I only plan to log my TRAINING sessions, and not my practices, skill work, etc. So here’s my inseason template:

MONDAY: Upper (Accessories Only)-

• Upper Body Warmup/Mobility
  • Supplemental Press Variation
  • Back/Upper Back Superset
  • Biceps/Triceps Superset

TUESDAY: ME Lower-

• Lower Body Warmup/Mobility
  • Jump Variation
  • Heavy Squat Variation
  • Unilateral Quad-Dom.
  • Posterior Chain
  • Core

THURSDAY: ME Upper

• Upper Body Warmup/Mobility
  • Throw/Explosive Pushup Variation
  • Heavy Bench Variation
  • Back/Upper Back Superset
  • Shoulders
  • Core

As some of you may have noticed, I’m following defranco’s style of training. I also plan to do extra mobility work every day.

1 Like

In Season Training, Monday, June 3, 2019: Accessory Upper

1. Agile 8 2.0 Mobility
  2. Palms-In DB Bench- 3x12,10,6 w/55s
    3A. BB Rows- 3x12,10,8 115lbs
    3B. Band Pull Aparts- 3x15,12,10 w/blue band
    4A. EZbar Tricep Extensions- 3x12,10,8 60lbs
    4B. EZbar Strict Curls- 3x10,12,8 60lbs

Defranco’s training is fun, enjoy it. You don’t need to vary exercise selection as much in-season as that introduces unnecessary DOMs.

How’s your team looking this year?

Yeah I really like Defrancos style always find myself coming back to it. I think my team is gonna be awesome this year. Lot of good players on the roster.

In Season Training, Wednesday, June 5, 2019

1. Agile 8
  2. Box Jumps- 3x3
  3. Barbell Back Squats- 2x3 @80% (315lbs)
  4. 45 degree Back Extensions- 3x15 55lbs
  5. Barbell Bench Press- 2x3 @80% (190lbs)
    6A. Pull ups- 3x8,8,7 Bodyweight
    6B. Band Pull Aparts- 3x20 w/blue band

So due to practice and game scheduling, I slightly adjusted my previous template. It will be full body twice a week now. Similar to the workout above but each Max Effort lift will be on separate days instead of on the same day like it is here, I just had to do it this way today cause I already did DB bench on Monday. Here it is:

Tuesday: Full Body 1

1. Mobility
  2. ME Upper Lift
  3. Unilateral Quad-Dom.
    4A. Row Variation
    4B. Rear Delt/Upper Back
  4. Shoulders
  5. Core

Thursday: Full Body 2

1. Mobility
  2. Jump Variation
  3. ME Lower Lift
    4A. DB Bench/Pushup Variation
    4B. Posterior Chain
    5A. Pull Up Variation
    5B. Rear Delt/Upper Back
  4. Core

So Im back and the summer season is over. Had a great season personally and a pretty good season as a team. Now I will be logging some offseason training between now and the start of the fall season. Main goals right now are body composition, speed, and conditioning, but of course will still be striving to get stronger. Hope anyone who follows enjoys. Here is the weekly template:

Sunday- Speed Day

Monday- Repetition Effort Upper

Tuesday- Max Effort Lower

Wednesday- Skill Training

Thursday- Max Effort Upper

Friday- Conditioning Day

Saturday- OFF

As you can see it is basically WS4SB 2 with some slight changes. Although I will log the skill training on Wednesday, I probably wont log any extra wall ball I do because that would just get repetitive. I also plan to do the Agile 8 and Simple 6 by Joe defranco everyday because my flexibility really needs some work. Feel free to ask any questions!

7/23/19: Max Effort Lower

Agile 8

Box Jumps- 3x3

Back Squats- 135x5, 225x5, 275x5, 295x5, 315x5

BB Elevated Reverse Lunges- 155x10,8

Hyperextensions (w/3sec ecc.)- 55x15x2

Plate Pinch Holds- 35x1min, 25x1min

Good first session. Was supposed to do 3 sets of lunges, but after the first 2 sets my head started aching badly, so I cut it there before it got unbearable. I think it was because I didn’t hydrate properly today. 55lb dumbells are the heaviest I have to do hyperextensions with, but that was still pretty light so I did them with a 3 second eccentric and did up to 15 reps. I will eventually have to get heavier dumbells if I want to progress on these. I don’t really want to go any higher than 15 reps.

1 Like

Could do these

Yeah I’ve tried those but the range of motion ends up being too short even if I use 25lb plates. Thanks for the suggestion though!

7/25/19: Max Effort Upper

Simple 6

Bench Press- 95x5, 135x5, 155x5, 175x5, 185x5

DB Incline Bench- 55sx10,10,7

Bent Over BB Row- 115x12,12,9
s/s
Band Pull Aparts- blue bandx15,15,9

BB Curls- 65x10,8,6

Weighted Sit-Ups (Arms Extended)- 35x12, 45x12x2

Ok session today. Although bench went well after the last set my head started aching again. I was able to push through and finish the workout though so not a big loss. I was decently hydrated today so I’m not sure what is causing the aches. If it happens again, I’ll get it checked out.

7/26/19: Conditioning Day

Movement-Based Warmup

150yd Shuttles (25yds down back x3)- 4 reps w/1min rest inbetween reps

Sled Drags (alternating between fwd/bwd)- 4x25yds 380lbs

Trap Bar Carries- 4x50yds 185lbs

Tough but good session today. I might decide to do longer/faster sled drags instead of heavy short ones next week. We’ll see though.

7/28/19: Speed Day

Movement-Based Warmup

Pushup Start Sprints- 5x20yds

Falling Start Sprints- 4x30yds

Lateral Broad Jumps- 4x3, farthest set = 24ft

MB Chest Pass- 10 total throws, farthest = 36ft

Good session today. Felt fast and explosive.

Looking good!
Are you playing at all in the off-season?

Thanks! No I’m not playing much right now. I have 2 events mid-late August, so when those get closer I might temporarily replace my speed and conditioning days to more skill work to prepare for the events. But after those events, I’ll probably just stick to one “hard” individual practice a week as I outlined in my template, while doing light stuff like wall ball and such almost everyday. In terms of team practices, probably won’t be until the start of the Fall season which is the start of October I think.

7/29/19: Repetition Effort Upper

Simple 6

Weighted Neutral-Grip Pushups- BW+15lbsx20,13,7

Lying BB Extensions- 65x8, 55x8,6

Chin Ups- BWx8,6,4,4

DB Lateral Raises- 15sx12,12,8,7

BW Ab Circuit- Situps, Twisters, Reverse Crunches x20 each exercise 2 rounds

Good session today, but will make a few changes next week. One, I tried the assistance template from WS4SB 1, but it is not as time efficient as WS4SB 2, so I’ll go back to that. Two, instead of doing a pushup or db bench variation as my repetition exercises, I’ll do the barbell exercise for the next 3 week max effort rotation. So if I plan to do lets say incline bench for my next 3 week max effort rotation, I’ll do Incline bench as my repetition lift during my current 3 week rotation now. This will allow extra practice on each lift. Hopefully that made sense :slight_smile:

If you’re going to go that route, I would suggest keeping pushups somewhere else in your program. They’re a great exercise and important for shoulder health.

And don’t worry about switching your speed work for skill work leading up to your August event … that’s only weeks away. You won’t get rusty in such a short time frame, especially playing wall-ball. And any valuable skill improvements will take longer than 2-3 weeks anyways.

Yeah now that you mention it you’re probably right. I still might change the conditioning day to skill work just before the second event, and that’s it. It will just help me feel confident going in to it. The first “event” is just a tryout for next season so I’m not worried about that, but the second one has to do with college recruiting. But I’ll keep the speed days speed days even the week before the second event.

About the pushups, I’ll probably incorporate them as my second exercise on Max Upper Day sometimes.

UPDATE: I think I’m actually going to just stick with pushup variations for my repetition exercise. Don’t wanna complicate things to much.