HS Lacrosse Player Log

I will be running the juggernaut method 2.0 to increase strength, size, speed, and conditioning. I plan to run it every other day, but as the fall season pick up, this may have to decrease a little bit. Basically, I’m gonna get a workout in whenever I can. I will also be logging my sport specific drills. Below are my lifts and there training maxes. These are based off what done within the last 2 Weeks:

Bench Press: 185x1. Training Max: 170
Box Squat: 295x7. Training Max: 325
Overhead Press: 100x5. Training Max: 110
Trap Bar DL(Low Handle): 375x5. Training Max: 380

Good luck with your training.
I like the looks of the Juggernaut program. You might want to lower your training maxes slightly, especially the overhead press. The lower your start, the longer you’ll be able to make progress on the program, the more you’ll improve on your technique, and the fresher you’ll feel for lacrosse. Even if the weight feels too light in the early weeks, you’ll still be able to focus on the concentric speed of the lifts and also going heavy on the assistance exercises.

10/6/18, Saturday: MB Throws/Military&Assistance

Warmup
Overhead Fowards MB Throw: 10 throws: 20lb
Military Press: 10x5@60%: 65lbs
Chin Ups: 5x8,6,5,4,4: Bodyweight(175lbs)
S/S
Dips: 5x10,10,8,8,8: Bodyweight(175lbs)
S/S
Band Face Pulls: 5x30,30,25,20,25: ?

Good quick session today. Didn’t do aerobic capacity work because I had to do this workout late at night. I don’t know how much resistance my band is. It just an elastic rubber thingy that I found at my house, but if I tie it to my power rack it works great for face pulls.

What does S/S stand for?

Super Set

10/11/18, Thursday: Aerobic Capacity

Warmup
Bodyweight Circuit: 3 rounds:
Pushupsx10
Switch Lungesx20
Twisting Sit Upsx10
Neutral Grip Chin upsx4-5
Run Up Stairsx16steps

Ok session today. I tried a jump rope tempo workout as illustrated in the juggernaut method 2.0, and it felt like more of a arm workout than a cardio one(I was using a slightly weighted rope). So I improvised and tried just doing a bunch of bodyweight stuff over and over again with no rest. It work pretty well. The key is to stay FAR from failure on the exercises themselves but never stop “working”. That way you really challenge your aerobic system without going lactic. And the exercises that use the same muscles are set away from each other to prevent going lactic. For instance, lunges and stair runs are NOT placed back to back. Just started off with 3 rounds today. I will probably retry the tempo stuff next workout because I ordered a heart rate monitor that I will recieve tomorrow.

Does the Juggernaut method have any guide as to how long the Aerobic Capacity workout should take? I would think 3 rounds of the above circuit would be too quick to help with aerobic capacity. It’s a good idea for a workout but you could probably add more low intensity exercises: jumping jacks, mountain climbers, bear crawls, light farmer’s walks, etc. Even dynamic stretches could be mixed in to keep your heart rate in the proper range with the added benefit of mobility improvements.

Definitely look into getting a new jump rope. I switched from using a weighted leather jump rope to a speed rope and now I’m no longer limited by shoulder muscle endurance. A common aerobic workout that I do is 10 minute sets of varying movements with no rest in between. Usually jump rope, biking, rowing, and running are the staples. 4-9 sets total with the option of light calisthenics between sets. Always keeping the intensity low. What do the tempo workouts look like? I’m guessing they’re designed similarly to Charlie Francis’.

I don’t know much about training to build lactic capacity … I see you’ve modified the program to split up the workout into two sessions. Dividing the volume by two and doubling the frequency can have a completely different training effect. It might be worthwhile to confirm this modification will still help train lactic capacity.

1. Yes the juggernaut method 2.0 does have I guide on tempo work. Basically, you want to be working in a 60-75% range for tempo work. Yes, this was popularized by Charlie Francis. He used tempo runs with his athletes(because they were track athletes), but you can do it with an airdine bike, sled, calisthenics, prowler, jump rope, swimming, etc. And as you stated, mobility circuits are also a good option.

2. Thanks for the advice on the lighter rope. However, I think I’m going to opt for running or sled dragging as my tempo work. I would love to do swimming because it really challenges your cardio and it’s easy on the joints. But I don’t have access to a pool that readily. Once I get my hands on a quality heart rate monitor, I will be able to more accurately stay in an aerobic range. But for now, I’ll just use my best judgment. I was just doing that Bodyweight circuit as an experiment really.

3. Actually I’m training alactic capacity not lactic capacity. Alactic Capacity is ability to repeat explosive bouts over and over again. So it’s not just asking HOW FAST, it’s asking HOW FAST AND HOW MANY TIMES(with incomplete rest periods). So a football player who can run a 4.6 40 on the first play, but runs a 5.0 on the next play, has bad alactic capacity. For the most part I’m avoiding lactic training(muscular endurance). I feel like lacrosse is more alactic-aerobic than lactic-aerobic. If you have any more questions I suggest downloading the juggernaut method 2.0 on the Kindle app.(it’s cheaper on amazon)

Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2019:

Training:
Had to skip training today due to various reasons.

Food:

1. Toast with a little honey, peanut butter, and banana. Eggs with cheese
  2. Chipotle Resturant: Burrito with chicken, rice, and cheese. Chips and queso (I know chips and queso aren’t healthy but whatever).
  3. Shake: 1 scoop of protein power and a banana. Made with water
  4. Chicken, white rice, and a apple.

Weight: 178.6lbs

UPDATE: I’m going to reduce my food intake a little because my weight is dropping back down as fast as I want it to.

Hello everyone. I’m 16 years old and a sophomore in high school. This late winter/spring is my offseason (I don’t play school, just summer and fall travel). I will be running 5/3/1 as I have been recommend it, and lots of athletes on this forum use and recommend it as well. I will use this log to track my progress. Here are my training maxes:

Squat: 295lbs
Deadlift: 335lbs
Bench: 175lbs
Press: 100lbs

Here is my template:

Sunday: Sports Skills/Conditioning, Bench, Bench Assistance
Monday: Sprints/Jumps/Throws, Power Clean, Squat, Squat Assistance
Tuesday: OFF
Wednesday: Sports Skills/Conditioning, Press, Press Assistance
Thursday: Sprints/Jumps/Throws, Power Snatch, Deadlift, Deadlift Assistance
Friday: OFF/Low Intensity Cardio (OPTIONAL)
Saturday: OFF

Hope anyone who follows enjoys.

There’s no need for a new log, and no need for four different logs in three months.

You’ll get better advice keeping one ongoing log, even if your goals and/or training changes along the way.

Yeah you’re right now that I think about it. Thanks for the advice. Do you know how to delete previous logs? Because I can’t seem to figure out how. Thank you.

Fixed. Not sure how those other threads slipped through the cracks, but they shouldn’t have.

In the long-run, it’s more efficient and more helpful to be able to refer back to older sessions, track progress, etc., by having stuff all together.

You should be able to edit the thread title, if you want to, by using the Edit icon (pencil thing) in the very first post.

Thank you very much sir!

Wednesday Jan 23 2019

Sports Skills/Conditioning-

wall ball 100 throws each hand

footwork shuttle 12 total reps

Press-

5’s week

65x5, 75x5, 85x11

65x5x5 (FSL Sets)

Press Assistance-

chin ups w/BW & db rows w/55’s 75 total reps

db military w/30’s 50 total reps

Good session today. Happy with 11 reps on my PR set. I can’t do 75 total reps of bodyweight chin ups without going under 5 reps so once I got to where I couldn’t do at least 5 reps on chin ups, I switched to db rows to get the rest of the volume.

Thursday Jan 24 2019

Weight: 179.2 lbs

Sprints/Jumps/Throws-

box jumps 10 total jumps

mb low shot put throws 12 total throws

10-30yd pushup start sprints 110 total yds

Power Snatch-

115x3

Deadlift-

5’s week

215x5, 250x5, 285x12

Deadlift Assistance-

rdls w/225lbs 50 total reps

db side bends w/55’s 75 total reps

Good session today. Tested my power snatch today so now I can set my training max for it. I will set it a little lower than 115lbs (90% of estimated 1RM) because form wasn’t perfect. I’ll set it to 110lbs. Happy with 12 reps on my PR set. I don’t to FSL sets with squat and deadlift because I’m already doing power cleans and snatches on those days (I also plan to do joker sets with power clean and power snatch). Rdls and side bends didn’t go too well. Even with hook grip (mix grip on rdls feel awkward so I hook) my grip and lats were the limiting factor with the rdls. Grip was also the limiting factor on side bends, my core muscles had more in them even going up to 20 reps w/55’s. Next week I’ll switch to good mornings and overhead barbell side bends. I’m not worried about my grip suffering because I’m still doing deadlifts, chin ups/pull ups, and rows.

Welcome back

Thanks vision! Good to see you again.

UPDATE: had to shift everything over one day this week due to scheduling conflicts. So today will be bench day. Next week I plan to go back to the regular schedule though.