HS Fitness: Strength Training Routine

I’m lost and having troubles creating a basic, beginner strength training routine. I have fitness 4 days a week (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday)and am wondering how to put together a routine.

My weight room is KIND of shitty but manageable. There is no squat/power rack so I am unable to do squats :(. There is a bench press, Olympic bar, dip/chin up bar, leg press, dumbbells, Seated row/lat pull down, incline bench and regular benches. I also train Muay thai out of school.

I’m looking for advice for a solid strength program that leave me room to recover or train Muay thai the same day. I’m 18 years old and plan to eat a fuck ton.

I have been considering Westside for skinny bastards, but i feel this may be too much volume.

OHP, bench, dead lift , clean to front squat. Start each day with one of these movements then hammer assisstance until you’ve been in tr gym for an hour

Good idea! thanks man. This makes it a lot easier to split the days up and i also won’t require rest like a typical A/B workout.

https://www.T-Nation.com/article/performance_training/lessons_from_southwood&cr=

There you go.

That was an awesome read, thank you! the only issue is I am a beginner and have not had the chance to learn the “Power clean”. I have tried to coach myself and learn hang cleans but the next day my traps/delts were insanely sore, most likely from poor technique. If i knew how to do power cleans i would definitely put them in my routine. I have also found out my “weight room” has no mirror? WTF how fucked up is that? That’s a safety hazard worth bringing up to the principal.

[quote]ThyArtisMurder wrote:
learn hang cleans but the next day my traps/delts were insanely sore, most likely from poor technique. [/quote]
You’re doing them right

[quote]ThyArtisMurder wrote:
That was an awesome read, thank you! the only issue is I am a beginner and have not had the chance to learn the “Power clean”. I have tried to coach myself and learn hang cleans but the next day my traps/delts were insanely sore, most likely from poor technique. If i knew how to do power cleans i would definitely put them in my routine. I have also found out my “weight room” has no mirror? WTF how fucked up is that? That’s a safety hazard worth bringing up to the principal. [/quote]

1. You’re probably doing them right then. Cleans aren’t rocket science. Film yourself if you’re in doubt.
  2. Many athletics gyms have no mirrors and many coaches think they are nothing but a distraction. In any case, you certainly do not need them.

I can see traps, but I would say that sore delts are probably a sign of doing power cleans wrong. I suppose it depends on the head of the delts, but front delts for sure shouldn’t really be used in the power clean. Sore front delts are a sign that you’re muscle the weight up with your arms instead of generating power from the hip extension.

I haven’t done actual “power cleans” only Hang cleans, i love the exercise. My delts might be sore because I’m not use to the rack position? not sure, i’m going to be practicing these Friday! I can also raise the bench press so it kind of a make-shift squat rack. Perfect for front squats, cant wait to get better at them!

Thanks for the advice guys! will definitely keep working on the Hang clean. Great exercise, will help with explosive power which I am certainly lacking. All i do is the main compounds lifts, some accessory work and Muay thai taining. Need a little more variety :stuck_out_tongue: