T Nation

HRT Question

Recent lab results have me confused. My TOTAL Testosterone is low at 195 yet my FREE Testosterone is high as a % of Total at 3.0.

Can anyone help explain ? Should I seek HRT. I went for blood tests because of symptoms related to Low T.

Thanks

I’d have to guess, but if your total is low, but you have a reasonable percentage of THAT as free, you are still probably low in total. Did I read that right?

Anyway, with that said, maybe a bump will get this in front of someone a bit more informed…

[quote]freddycee wrote:
Recent lab results have me confused. My TOTAL Testosterone is low at 195 yet my FREE Testosterone is high as a % of Total at 3.0.

Can anyone help explain ? Should I seek HRT. I went for blood tests because of symptoms related to Low T.

Thanks[/quote]

Okay, Your total testosterone consists of, Bound, and Free, test. optimum levels of free are 2-3% of the total testosterone. By the way, free test is the test availabe in the bloodstream that can bind to the androgen receptor. Bound test, is the amount that is bound to SHBG, (Sex Hormone Binding globulin) or to Albimum. Even though your free test is great at 3%, its only 3% of a very low level. A man with a NG/DL of 900 total, (which I believe to be the minimum it should be) and a free test of 2% would make the free at 18 ng/dl. Yours at 195 total is only 5 ng/dl. See what I mean?

I would deffinately be seeking testosterone supplimintation.
good luck

Thanks for the help, really appreciate it.I have an appointment next week with Urologist to discuss HRT.

Any idea how to get a doc to bump you up to 900? My last 2 tests were 146 ng/dl and 244 ng/dl, which just plain sucks. My doc says to be happy at 300 or so.
BTW: Alpha Male makes me feel better, so try adding that to the mix.

Hi everyone…new to the site.

This might be a stupid question, but where to I go to get my levels checked?
I no longer have a family doctor and havent seen one in years. I am kind of afraid to go to a doctor as it seems the people that do are always the ones with something wrong with them.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Any idea how to get a doc to bump you up to 900? My last 2 tests were 146 ng/dl and 244 ng/dl, which just plain sucks. My doc says to be happy at 300 or so.
BTW: Alpha Male makes me feel better, so try adding that to the mix.[/quote]

I would se another doc!!! 300 is the lowest end of the scale, (assuming the scale is 300-1200 ng/dl) Why would any man want to be happy with test levels barely adequate to make him considered a man?

10mg test gel should get you close. I prefer injections because you get much more bang for your buck, but the gel should work fine. You will still need to monitor free test though because that is the test that is actually used. 2-3% is a good number and at 900 or better total you should start to feel like a man again.

good luck

HH,
Find a new Doc like yesterday!!!
My urologist tells me that in 3 months he wants me in for lab work, I ask him “oh to test me tesosterone levels”? he says " I am not concerned with that, I want to see how your liver enzymes are going". I am on 400 mg a month {1 CC injections self administered]in 2 doeses and could not feel better!!! and with the Arimidex 1/2 tab every 3 days makes it all the more effective, no sides…

How do you get your levels to 900 or above when you are at 300? Well, Androgel at 10 g of gel (10 mg of T) per day brought me from 300 to 1,400! Try that!

[quote]Teufelhunden wrote:
HH,
Find a new Doc like yesterday!!!
My urologist tells me that in 3 months he wants me in for lab work, I ask him “oh to test me tesosterone levels”? he says " I am not concerned with that, I want to see how your liver enzymes are going". I am on 400 mg a month {1 CC injections self administered]in 2 doeses and could not feel better!!! and with the Arimidex 1/2 tab every 3 days makes it all the more effective, no sides…[/quote]

What does the Arimidex do? I’ve been prescribed 500 mg per month by self (I should say, wife) injection. Given the size of these horse needles, anything that could boost effectiveness could be of interest. My Dr. also has me on Striant to smooth out my ups and downs from injections because otherwise I have no baseline whatsoever of Test, and I get days in which it feels that I must have nothing in my system.

Here are some answers to clear up your questions.

First, you shouldn’t have to settle for your test being in the 300ng range when it should be between 600-900. Unless you are an older male (50+) with the potential for prostate problems/prostate cancer you should be able to safely have your levels brought up.

Don’t know much about the Androgel products, but my doc says the injections are better. As mentioned, more bang for your buck. Now if your a needle phobic type stop worrying. The injections themselves don’t hurt. The needle is usually 1-1/2" long at most. I even had a shot with a 5/8" long needle, it just takes longer to inject the testosterone when the needle is a smaller gauge. You doc can also use Gebauers Ethyl-Chloride while he is giving the injection. it is a topical skin refrigerant/anesthetic that numbs the pain associated with injections. With this you won’t feel the injection at all. After you get the injection there is a barely noticable burning sensation from the benzyl alcohol that is in the injection. The burning fades in an hour or so.

Arimidex (Anastrozole) is technically a breast cancer drug usually given to women to combat estrogen dependant breast cancer. Basically it lowers estrogen. In men, it’s used when taking steroids/testosterone in order to prevent side effects from excess estrogen that aromatizes from the exogeneous testosterone your taking. So in a nutshell it prevents you from growing a nice set of tits and also combats water retention/bloating. Arimidex can, on it’s own raise testosterone levels. By lowering your estrogen your body will make more testosterone so that it can aromitize some of it into estrogen. However since the Arimidex inhibits the aromitase enzyme, the extra testosterone your body puts out won’t convert to estrogen, hence a higher testosterone level. Just be careful because Arimidex is very strong and you can lower your estrogen too much which will result in sore joints and some other undesirable side effects. Arimidex will also prevent your testicles from completely shutting down from the test therapy, although the usual test dose is about 100mg a week, so shutdown isn’t really a big issue like it is with 300mg a week and up like some of the hardcore steroid users take.

In keeping with the whole anti estrogen thing, you may want to look into a product called Myomin. It’s made by a company called Chi’s Enterprise. It is an aromatase inhibitor usually used for women to reduce estrogen in order to shrink fibroids. It is actually very effective. I use this in conjunction with the Arimidex. just so you are aware you’ll need a script from the doc for Arimidex and it costs about $135 for 15 pills. Good Luck getting insurance to cover it too. Myomin you can get from the Chi website,or other health food /nutraceutical suppliers. I’m thinking of stacking Myomin with Biotest’s “M” and Alpha Male once my initial round of HRT is done. This may be a great stack of product to keep test high and estrogen low.

Hope this answers some of the questions in this thread. I’m by no means an expert, but I know enough to get by. You should all check out the Steroid forum her at T-Nation, there are probably a handful of very knowledgable guys there that can answer everything you could possibly want to know about this stuff.

Incidentally, one of the best resources I’ve come across for a qualified endocrinolgist that understands male HRT is www.hormone.org. Its the national medical organization for that practice, and they have a list of doctors by locality. In my search, they were the most reliable. There are also a number of “anti-aging” clinics, but I didn’t have a good level of comfort with them, though if you have a good deal of money to spend, they seem ready to prescribe almost anything.

[quote]freddycee wrote:
Thanks for the help, really appreciate it.I have an appointment next week with Urologist to discuss HRT.

[/quote]

You need to see an Endocrinologist, not a Uro.