HRT Low?

I know the tests are old but is 11 a low number for T?
I am also a type 1 diabetic and I’m 38.

Previous tests from 2005 Labcorp:

Free T Direct - 11.0 pg/ml (8.7-25.1)
DHEA - 327ng/dl (146-850)

I have new tests coming for below:
Free T
Total T
IGF-1

He wouldnt do an E2 test, said it wasn’t medically necessary, but said he’d do it if T came back low. He’s internal medicine not an endo.

Are these numbers low? Will taking dhea bring up my T levels or help at all? Im sick of just eeking by in life, diabetes is hard enough.

Thanks in advance.

The problem with testosterone numbers is that being within the reference ranges means you’re not “clinically” low, but that doesn’t mean that you’re not low for you.

I’d want to have the thyroid series done as well as low thyroid can make you feel crappy too.

Your best bet is to research and educate yourself as much as possible. A good place to start is with the “HPT Axis.” This is the hypothalamus - pituitary - testes axis (HPTA) and understanding it is central to understanding testosterone production in the body. Another keyword to research is “hypogonadism.” Knowing as much (or more) than your doctor about these issues will help you get the best treatment possible.

“Medically necessary” is one of those things that irritate me. Luckily, my doctor considers my concerns a valid reason to do a test. If I’m concerned about my estradiol levels, give me the damn test so I stop worrying! I’d consider being a bit more insistent. It’s your body and your well being and it is the doctor’s job to assist you in maintaining your health. He’s the plumber - you own the house. He works for you, not the other way around.

Yeah forgot to mention I have thyroid tests coming also. T3, T4 and TSH. He said he would do an E2 is T came back low. I thought Id wait for my moment to push the E2 test a little more. Then I’ll push for more tests like FSH.

Im kinda waiting to feel my worst day and then do the morning bloodwork. I want my T value to be low as possible. Thought about not sleeping that night or doing anything else to make it lower. I take dhea so I’m worried that might have brought it up. I dont want to be borderline and have to argue with him for HRT.

Thanks for the reply.

p.s. I anyone knows a good HRT doctor in tx please let me know.

[quote]happydog48 wrote:
The problem with testosterone numbers is that being within the reference ranges means you’re not “clinically” low, but that doesn’t mean that you’re not low for you.

I’d want to have the thyroid series done as well as low thyroid can make you feel crappy too.

Your best bet is to research and educate yourself as much as possible. A good place to start is with the “HPT Axis.” This is the hypothalamus - pituitary - testes axis (HPTA) and understanding it is central to understanding testosterone production in the body. Another keyword to research is “hypogonadism.” Knowing as much (or more) than your doctor about these issues will help you get the best treatment possible.

“Medically necessary” is one of those things that irritate me. Luckily, my doctor considers my concerns a valid reason to do a test. If I’m concerned about my estradiol levels, give me the damn test so I stop worrying! I’d consider being a bit more insistent. It’s your body and your well being and it is the doctor’s job to assist you in maintaining your health. He’s the plumber - you own the house. He works for you, not the other way around.[/quote]

just started so no expert advice. look in the yellow pages for a doc with a title anti-aging. they seem to be more up to date on hrt, at least the ones I spoke with.

Tests you want to get checked

Total Testosterone
? Bioavailable Testosterone (AKA ?Free and Loosely Bound?)
? Free Testosterone (if Bioavailable T is unavailable)
? DHT
? Estradiol (specify the Extraction Method, or ?sensitive? assay for males)
? LH
? FSH
? Prolactin
? Cortisol
? Thyroid Panel
? CBC
? Comprehensive Metabolic Panel
? Lipid Profile
? PSA (if over 40)
? IGF-1 (if HGH therapy is being considered)

Threads to read :
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1135091

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1399735

Good luck

Yeah, try getting someone not versed in HRT to do all those tests. :slight_smile:
I’m going to find a good endo hopefully that has an open mind.

Thanks for the help everyone.

[quote]plymouth city wrote:
Tests you want to get checked

Total Testosterone
? Bioavailable Testosterone (AKA ?Free and Loosely Bound?)
? Free Testosterone (if Bioavailable T is unavailable)
? DHT
? Estradiol (specify the Extraction Method, or ?sensitive? assay for males)
? LH
? FSH
? Prolactin
? Cortisol
? Thyroid Panel
? CBC
? Comprehensive Metabolic Panel
? Lipid Profile
? PSA (if over 40)
? IGF-1 (if HGH therapy is being considered)

Threads to read :
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1135091

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1399735

Good luck
[/quote]

Most endo’s are about as cutting edge as a butter knife. I know more about most of them and Ive never taking a class in medicine.

You really really want to find a doc specializing in anti ageing. Check out the LEF foundation web page and find one there.

Hey plymouth,

Yeah I’ve given up on finding an HRT doc on my insurance plan. I agree, if they don’t speciliaze in HRT kind of a waste of time. I think I’ve found one even though she’s not in my insurance! I got a referral from my surgeon for a dr but what questions should I ask her before I spend $300 on a consult?

Thanks!

[quote]plymouth city wrote:
Most endo’s are about as cutting edge as a butter knife. I know more about most of them and Ive never taking a class in medicine.

You really really want to find a doc specializing in anti ageing. Check out the LEF foundation web page and find one there. [/quote]

[quote]aculpep wrote:
Hey plymouth,

Yeah I’ve given up on finding an HRT doc on my insurance plan. I agree, if they don’t speciliaze in HRT kind of a waste of time. I think I’ve found one even though she’s not in my insurance! I got a referral from my surgeon for a dr but what questions should I ask her before I spend $300 on a consult?

Thanks!

[/quote]

If a doctor is flexible, you can basically tell them exactly what treatment protocols you want and how you want your treatment to go. You really want to educate yourself.

Before you go in though, there are questions to address. You need to ask her if she is okay with

1. The use of HCG

2. The use of an AI if needed

3. If she is both comfortable with transdermals and injects.

4. If she is comfortable with shooting for T levels in the top range.