T Nation

HRT at 26?

ok so i know this is the 35 and up forum, but i am a 26 year old man, and my blood work indicates that apparently i have the hormone levels of a 90 year old woman,

these were done through labcorp, the test ordered through life extension:

Free Testosterone: 4.3 pg/mL Normal: 9.3 - 26.5
Total Testosterone: 145 ng/dL Normal: 241 - 827
Estradiol: 38 pg/mL

What gives? I have always had symptoms of high test, acne on my back, hairy, high libido…

any advice on possible HRT doctors in Dallas/fort worth would be awesome, as well as the possible types of HRT that i can ask my doc. about on my first visit would be awesome

thanks guys!

I’m not 35 either, but from what i have read testosterone levels vary greatly. Stress, lack of sleep, and other things can impact your hormones. Maybe it was just something that was going on when you got the test done? Anyways what made you concerned enough to get the test? Muscle loss? If you have a high libido and the weight training is going fine then fuck it, you know?? haha

Low T is associated with many negative health events. With the low T and E2=38, he is estrogen dominant.

which is definitely not something i want, any other guys in their twenties on HRT? i would love to hear how it is going

[quote]KSman wrote:
Low T is associated with many negative health events. With the low T and E2=38, he is estrogen dominant.[/quote]

Does testosterone sensitivity play a part in this?

That is, can a man have low testosterone numbers but be very testosterone sensitive so the net effect is normality?

I’m ignorant in this area so any info appreciated.

interesting thought, although i doubt it, im certianly not an expert but i would assume that low free test is low free test. im not sure if genetically some people respond differently that others, or if the relationship between E2 and Free test is simply the most important factor

ill leave that question up the someone more in the know

Okay,
So you got dealt a short hand. Or did you? At 26 low Testosterone would suck, but now you can get on HRT, have normal levels from now until you grow old, and avoid what happens to most guys as they pass 35;(read: non-athletes) with man-boobs, “beer” guts, unhappy wives, and ignored kids, and, should I continue?

Okay, right now the idea is a drag, but in six months you could be healthier, happier, stronger, and damn near anything else you wanted to do too.
I know my life (and ability to chase and keep up with women) is 100 times better now than when I had low T levels. Just a thought…

ya i guess i should clarify, im not really upset or anything, thats exactly the attitude i have, i really just wanted to hear some younger guys experiences with HRT, and possibly some theories as to why i wasn’t having any symptoms

I’m 24 - and most likely going on HRT. My situation is a bit different being that I had a testicle removed and the one testicle is unable to produce enough testosterone alone so there is no possibility I will ever have normal levels without it. I am seeking out shots - mostly because insurance covers shots in a doctors office, but not Androgel and self injections. My main symptom is lack of libido - I’m 24 and honestly go a month without sex/masturbation and don’t think about it. When I do - I do it becuase I feel like “wow it’s been awhile.” That’s when I realized it was definitely time to get help - my quality of life depends on it.

[quote]toughcasey wrote:
ok so i know this is the 35 and up forum, but i am a 26 year old man, and my blood work indicates that apparently i have the hormone levels of a 90 year old woman,

these were done through labcorp, the test ordered through life extension:

Free Testosterone: 4.3 pg/mL Normal: 9.3 - 26.5
Total Testosterone: 145 ng/dL Normal: 241 - 827
Estradiol: 38 pg/mL

What gives? I have always had symptoms of high test, acne on my back, hairy, high libido…

any advice on possible HRT doctors in Dallas/fort worth would be awesome, as well as the possible types of HRT that i can ask my doc. about on my first visit would be awesome

thanks guys! [/quote]

I’m 29 and have been on HRT for 6 months. I was similar to your symptoms for the last 8 years, then thnigs took downward turn. Symptoms got real bad so I finally got some help.

Get your ass on HRT. I feel like a new person, the person I should have been for the past 8-9 years but didn’t know any better.

check out allthingsmail.com for some info and the board here has some great info also.

Good luck, and defintely get yourself on therapy!

I second! as soon as you can, get on the injections. The real man inside you will come back to life, and boy oh boy, talk about a life. The confidence to walk up to the most beautiful women in the room and ask them out. And they say, “Yes” because there’s something different about you… I’m serious, women can sense men that are confident and are attracted to them like magnets.

Besides remember how many “rounds”:slight_smile: you could go when you were 18 or 19? You will again and maybe better. I’m 48, and not only do I have the sex wants I did when I was 19, I have the drive to finish what I started.

Two plus years ago w/o TRT, I didn’t care about sex, now I think about it 47 times day just like the young guys do.
There IS light at the end of the tunnel, so don’t be afraid to make the trip. No matter how tough it may seem. Hang in there.

[quote]skidmark wrote:
Does testosterone sensitivity play a part in this?

That is, can a man have low testosterone numbers but be very testosterone sensitive so the net effect is normality?

I’m ignorant in this area so any info appreciated.[/quote]

What you’re talking about is theoretically possible. Let’s not forget that testosterone is nothing more than a messenger. Nothing happens until testosterone binds to an androgen receptor. So if a guy had tons of receptors relative to other guys, then it seems possible that a lower concentration of testosterone would have a greater effect because of his abundance of receptors.

The thing that is always in the back of my mind is that even something as common as aspirin is deadly to some people, so when it comes to human bodies and their reactions to chemicals, almost anything is possible.

[quote]KNB wrote:
I second! as soon as you can, get on the injections. The real man inside you will come back to life, and boy oh boy, talk about a life. The confidence to walk up to the most beautiful women in the room and ask them out. And they say, “Yes” because there’s something different about you… I’m serious, women can sense men that are confident and are attracted to them like magnets.[/quote]

I’ll second this.

I swear that women can sense testosterone levels and it isn’t just body language or confidence. There are women I’ve known for years who suddenly can’t keep their hands off me when I’ve decided to up the dose a bit. I’m not saying that they’re suddenly grabbing my package, it’s just that I get touched a lot more in “friendly” ways.

And of course the confidence thing doesn’t hurt.

[quote]happydog48 wrote:
KNB wrote:
I second! as soon as you can, get on the injections. The real man inside you will come back to life, and boy oh boy, talk about a life. The confidence to walk up to the most beautiful women in the room and ask them out. And they say, “Yes” because there’s something different about you… I’m serious, women can sense men that are confident and are attracted to them like magnets.

I’ll second this.

I swear that women can sense testosterone levels and it isn’t just body language or confidence. There are women I’ve known for years who suddenly can’t keep their hands off me when I’ve decided to up the dose a bit. I’m not saying that they’re suddenly grabbing my package, it’s just that I get touched a lot more in “friendly” ways.

And of course the confidence thing doesn’t hurt.[/quote]

funny you mention this, when my dose is up, more women take a second look at me…and I am by no means an attractive guy. They knnow somethings up

well im definitely excited now, thanks guys!

i have another question about choosing a doctor. the doctor i found is one of these MD turned hormone replacement doctors. she is certified by the anti aging board and only does hormone replacement. i have been debating whether to pursue a traditional endo/urologist as opposed to her, but i just absolutely can not find one, and she is really the most accessible and convenient option. i wont be able to get in until the end of the month, but that is by far the soonest compared to some of the other HRT specialty docs that i called. what do you guys think? she was in suzanne sommers book and all that jazz, and she told me she works with tons of guys and is super familiar with TRT etc.

i have some additional lab working coming in hopefully this weekend, i will post results

[quote]toughcasey wrote:
well im definitely excited now, thanks guys!

i have another question about choosing a doctor. the doctor i found is one of these MD turned hormone replacement doctors. she is certified by the anti aging board and only does hormone replacement. i have been debating whether to pursue a traditional endo/urologist as opposed to her, but i just absolutely can not find one, and she is really the most accessible and convenient option. i wont be able to get in until the end of the month, but that is by far the soonest compared to some of the other HRT specialty docs that i called. what do you guys think? she was in suzanne sommers book and all that jazz, and she told me she works with tons of guys and is super familiar with TRT etc.

i have some additional lab working coming in hopefully this weekend, i will post results[/quote]

We find here that a lot of endos, proctologists and urologists are quite useless. I think that your found doctor is probably a fantastic find. Is she affordable?

well she is letting me use my blood work from LEF, except for one test that they dont do, free and weakly bound test, so that helps

but her initial visit is 325 (no labs), i have no idea what to expect after that. they do not accept insurance so its all out of pocket, but she said the prescriptions will most likely be filed with my insurance through the compounding pharmacy they use.

ok so i have a 12 week update for anyone who is interested. i started out with 125iu hcg ED for 6 weeks, and .5mg ADEX/week for 6 weeks, and my total test went from 145 to 245. so my doc upped the hcg to 250iu ED and .5mg ADEX for the next 6 weeks

and this is how my bloodwork came back today

testosterone total 645ng/dl
free testosterone 135.7 ref. range 35 - 155

estradiol 28pg/ml
psa .6

so everything looks good, but doc wants to take hcg up to 375iu/day to see if i can get in the upper range.

Glad you have good results.

Ask if you can increase your Adex to .5mg x 28/22 = .63 --> .75mg per week. You may feel some good changes with that. E2=22pg/ml is an optimal target.

With more hCG, if T increases, E will to. And when your testes work harder, they also produce more E as well. As you approach high TRT levels of T, you should be approaching 1.0mg/wk.

When you lower your E2, SHBG should go down which should also contribute to higher % FT.

You are injecting now. So when does it become more cost effective to use more typical hCG amounts with injected T? You could inject hCG and T EOD for the same number of injections.

If you hit a shortage of hCG, it is important to have the foundation of injected T to fall back on and ration hCG. It would be good to have this in place now. When you travel, keeping your hCG cold may be a crap shoot. T injections would provide some support that does not depend on refrigeration.

Your testes have probably been physically changing. Some of the last T increases may be from continuing changes, not just the action of more hCG.