HPTA Restart: Clomid 25 mg EOD

If anyone can chime in (KSman please), thank you much…

After 3 weeks of clomid, 25 mg EOD T went from 150-425 (I was shocked). I am still on. Will retest @ 12 week mark. How long would someone stay on? At same dosage?
Doc opines indefinitely. Prior doc thought that this was brought on by using DHEA 100mg/day (?)
40 yrs. old active male, 5’9", 195 lbs., no AAS history, secondary hypogonadism. Fit, strong, shit for motivation except to work out.

Aug 2015 Results Range
Test 425 ng/dL 233-854
LH 4.2 mIU/mL 1.5-9.3
FSH 4.7 mIU/ml 2-18

Aug 2015 Testes size checked, Good

Aug 2015 Begin Clomiphene 25 mg EOD

Jul 2015
Test 150 ng/dL 348-1197
LH 1.1 mIU/ml 1.7-8.6
FSH 2.4 mIU/ml 1.5-12.4
Estradiol <5.0 pg/mL 7.6-42.6
PSA 0.3 ng/mL 0.0-4.0

Jun 2015
Test 205 L ng/dL 233-854
LH 2.2 mIU/ml 1.5-9.3
SHBGSER 26.4 nmol/L 16.5-55.9

Jan 2015
Test 178 L ng/dL 233-854
Free Test 7.6 L pg/ml 8.7-25.1
LH 0.9mIU/ml 1.5-9.3
SHBGSER 28.6 nmol/L 16.5-55.9
ACTH (ICE) 17.9 pg/ml 7.2-63.3
IGF-1 137 ng/ml 83-233
Iron 80 mcg/dL 40-150
T-4 9.8 ug/dL 4.5-12
TSH 0.485 uIU/ml .400-4.6
TICB 285 ug/dL 280-500
Ferritin 97 ng/mL 40-400
Prolactin5.7 5.7 ng/mL 2.1-17.7

Sept 2014 Pituitary MRI, all ok

Aug 2014 Semen analysis- all good

Jul 2014
Test 186 L ng/dL 233-854
LH 1.6 mIU/mL 1.5-9.3
Prolactin 10.2 ng/mL 233-854

May 2014
Test 173 L ng/dL 233-854
Hematocrit 45.60

May 2011
Test 354 ng/dL 240-960

Hi there, I have secondary hypogonadism also, from my experience you could stay on it indefinitely if your not experiencing side effects from the low estrogen (such as floaters in your vision or dry joints such as lower back pain or joint pain in elbows, knees etc). From my own personal experience, clomid feels very estrogenic, and in actual fact it is an estrogen mimicking molecule in certain parts of the body (which explains why it feels that way in the mind), so I found myself to be very emotional, crying while watching movies etc. which was not exactly my cup of tea.

My testosterone went from 7 (8-30) to 20 while on clomid at 25mg a day after I retested some months later and my strength was increasing nicely, but it absolutely killed my libido (which was motivation to drop it). I had no issue with ED or anything, I just didn’t have motivation to do it.

Once again from my experience, you will probably feel much better on exemestane rather than clomid. Like clomid, use a small amount, maybe 6.25mg EOD (1/4 of a tablet) and see how you feel after a few weeks. It has the same estrogen lowering effect which signal the pituitary to release more LH and FSH (which resolves the secondary hypogonadism issue). However exemestane is closer related to testosterone (on a molecular level) and if anything it improves libido greatly while giving a nice test boost.

Aim for an estrogen level between 1/3 and 1/2 of the normal range for males. You can fine tune over time based on symptoms but don’t change your dosing too quickly, once a month maybe to feel the full effects of the change in dose, especially if you want to get lab bloods.

If you drive estrogen any lower then you can negatively affect your lipid profile (LDL goes up and HDL goes down) which is not a good thing. Clomid has no such effect because it acts like an estrogen in the liver and helps to metabolise cholesterol, thats probably the only advantage of clomid over exemestane. But as I said its only going to be an issue if you drive estrogen too low anyway.

Let me know how you go and have a chat with your doctor about this to get his opinion off course.

OP: You really need to be testing E2 to see if getting too high, a real risk with SERM’s
Please read these stickies:

• advice for new guys – note the first paragraph
  • things that damage your hormones
  • finding a TRT doc

Lack of energy can be from thyroid problems. Your thyroid labs suggest a bit of hyperthyroidism if anything. Note that iodine deficiency and hypo can progress to hyper.

Some guys freely convert DHEA–>E2, mechanism not known. This might have been the problem.

Is your thyroid enlarged, lumpy or asymmetrical? Ever been sore?

Yes, clomid produces nasty estrogenic side effect for some guys. Nolvadex does not have such sides and has the same effects as clomid. Use same dosing.

25mg/day is often too much, watch E2 levels

Thank you both for the great insight, suggestions.

I will definitely read the stickies and look at both options.

My sex drive was shit and there has been no change in that. I’d like to change that.

Is your thyroid enlarged, lumpy or asymmetrical? Ever been sore?
No. I’ve never had an issue but will definitely look into the hyper.

Again, thank you both for your time. I know it must seem old hat to you, but it is very important for us noobs and there is A LOT of information to sort through.

KSman, I know that you recommended same dosage for Nolvadex…
I have access to 10 mg and 20 mg tabs Nolvadex.
Would you suggest going right to 20 mg Nolvadex or should I start with 10 mg?
I am 5’9", 195 lbs. 13% BF.
Also, should I just jump right into Nolvadex on the next dosage day or have some days with nothing in my system?
Again, thank you for your time.

You can simply swap Nolvadex for Clomid.
Many do well with 10mg.
There are two objectives:

• recover form and function of testes without high E2 levels
  • establish LH/FSH levels that are realistically close to what you might achieve with a successful HPTA restart.

Even when HPTA restart is done well and working; T levels might not be adequate.
While taking the serum for a while and steady state:

• check TT, FT, LH/FSH. If LH good and T low, you need TRT.
  • If LH/FSH are low while on the SERM, you need TRT.

Remember that thyroid health can be a critical factor.

KSman Thanks a lot dude. Seriously. You help a lot of guys on this forum.

I had no idea about thyroid health until literally yesterday.

see new topic “hormones and health”

Hey KSman sorry for bumping this old thread but you do help a lot of guys here in the forums in regards of a an HPTA restart, I’d like to try the SERM protocol but I’m confused between the uses of Nolvadex and Clomid. If you could please see my last thread and and give me some advice. Thanks!

I did here: Advice about HPTA Restart - #22 by KSman