T Nation

HPM, Layer Hybrid Template

CT,

I’ve read almost all of your articles and programs and really love your training methods. My favorites are HPM and The Layer System, both of which I have used to increase strength and lean muscle mass. I have been tinkering around with a fairly simple 4-day template that I would appreciate your input on. It takes a couple of your philosophies into consideration but I am not sure that they will mesh well together. So any thoughts and input would be appreciated. The main goals here being strength and lean mass – basically your “look like a bodybuilder, perform like an athlete philosophy”.

Thank you in advance for any critique you can offer:

1. PRESS
    MILITARY PRESS RAMP TO 1RM
    PUSH-PRESS 70%, RAMP TO 1RM
    PUSH-PRESS 80% x 3 extended sets
    LAT WORK 10 sets

2. SQUAT
    FRONT SQUAT RAMP TO 1RM
    BACK SQUAT 70%, RAMP TO 1RM
    BACK SQUAT 80% x 3 extended sets
    AB WORK 10 sets

3. BENCH PRESS
    INCLINE BENCH PRESS RAMP TO 1RM
    BENCH PRESS 70%, RAMP TO 1RM
    BENCH PRESS 80% x 3 extended sets
    LAT WORK 10 sets

4. DEADLIFT
    POWER CLEAN RAMP TO 1RM
    DEADLIFT 70%, RAMP TO 1RM
    DEADLIFT 80% x 3 extended sets
    AB WORK 10 sets

[quote]GraniteJack wrote:
CT,

I’ve read almost all of your articles and programs and really love your training methods. My favorites are HPM and The Layer System, both of which I have used to increase strength and lean muscle mass. I have been tinkering around with a fairly simple 4-day template that I would appreciate your input on. It takes a couple of your philosophies into consideration but I am not sure that they will mesh well together. So any thoughts and input would be appreciated. The main goals here being strength and lean mass – basically your “look like a bodybuilder, perform like an athlete philosophy”.

1. PRESS
    LAT WORK 10 sets

2. SQUAT
    FRONT SQUAT RAMP TO 1RM
    AB WORK 10 sets

3. BENCH PRESS
    LAT WORK 10 sets

4. DEADLIFT
    POWER CLEAN RAMP TO 1RM
    AB WORK 10 sets

[/quote]

I like the continuous ramp method (which you are using to some extent) but after experimenting I prefer to ramp to a 3RM or 2RM now. Even if it’s only a 1-2 rep(s) difference, the impact on the nervous system is huge and it deems to lead to more muscle growth.

Thank you! Would you then recommend ramping to a 3RM and using 90% of that number for the extended sets? Also would it be wise to add another layer like clusters or HDL or would that be too much volume?

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]GraniteJack wrote:
CT,

1. PRESS
    LAT WORK 10 sets

2. SQUAT
    FRONT SQUAT RAMP TO 1RM
    AB WORK 10 sets

3. BENCH PRESS
    LAT WORK 10 sets

4. DEADLIFT
    POWER CLEAN RAMP TO 1RM
    AB WORK 10 sets

[/quote]

I like the continuous ramp method (which you are using to some extent) but after experimenting I prefer to ramp to a 3RM or 2RM now. Even if it’s only a 1-2 rep(s) difference, the impact on the nervous system is huge and it deems to lead to more muscle growth.[/quote]

Just to add on to this, I found this same thing. I find it gets really hard to recover from Ramping to 1RM, if I spend a week doing it I have to take nearly 2 full weeks of lower volume, intensity, and frequency for my performance to return.

If I stick with 3-6RM I can train 5-7 days a week and recover pretty well for around 6-8 weeks before I need to back off some.