HP Mass Question

CT, long time admirer. I love your methods!

I realize you’re onto Layer System and other programs. However, I’m having a lot of fun with HP Mass and want to continue it for the time being.

On upper days I’m doing Military Press, Close Grip Floor Press, and Bench (I use a pretty close grip).

So, my tri’s get a ton of stimulation, and I feel that my chest is lagging. How would you recommend working chest into this program?

[quote]pwr_speed_size wrote:
CT, long time admirer. I love your methods!

I realize you’re onto Layer System and other programs. However, I’m having a lot of fun with HP Mass and want to continue it for the time being.

On upper days I’m doing Military Press, Close Grip Floor Press, and Bench (I use a pretty close grip).

So, my tri’s get a ton of stimulation, and I feel that my chest is lagging. How would you recommend working chest into this program? [/quote]

Well, the close-grip floor press and bench press (if you use a narrow grip) are basically redundant. What hits my chest the most is doing a slight decline (putting a 2-4" block under the bench) bench from pins (2-3" from chest) using the Dead-Squat bar. I never got the chest pump and stimulation that I get with the bar with a regular straight-bar. This is, bar none, the best chest exercise I’ve done.

Otherwise you could use a slight decline bench with a tad wider grip or weighted dips if you are structurally able to do them.

so would you recommend subbing the decline bench for the cg floor press or cg bench? I.E. sub one of the 3 exercises I’m doing? Or should I just do some sets of decline bench AFTER the 3 main movements, as “extra” work

hey CT, let me reformulate my questions so I don’t waste yoru time asking the same stuff over and over!

Right now, I’m doing OHP, cg Floor Press, then bench. I train bench with a pretty close grip, just because I feel better trining it that way, and I feel that it will provide good carry over for when I decide to compete again.

I waant my lagging chest to catch up. Should I switch one of these movements for decline bench, or should I simply do decline benching AFTER I finish my waves for the 3 HP exercises?

Also, after finishing a workout, sometimes I have more energy and feel up for lifting more. I’ve read your articles and it seems that you are all for doing hypertrophy stuff after, ifyou’re feeling good. What kind of stuff do you advocate?

I thought that, on paper, these workouts were going to be easy due to the low %'age used. But now that I’m progressing in weeks, these workouts get pretty tough! I want to approach all this intelligently, so I can make progress and stay injury free!

Thanks CT, your methods are awesome, and you seem like a cool guy