T Nation

HP Mass Program & Incorporating Cardio

Coach,

I’m on week two of the HP Mass Program and I really haven’t found time to squeeze in cardio on the Upper and Lower pressing days. I can incorporate cardio on the two NC and Lats/Bi’s workouts because the timing just works better, basically three days a week. However, in thinking about what you said about feeling good after the workout, like you can do more / feel energetic, I’m concerned about how to do cardio. I typically jog or run on a treadmill for 30 minutes but when I’m done I definitely don’t feel good, like I could do more if I had to. It’s more likely that I feel pretty beat afterwards. What would you recommend for incorporating cardio? Specifically, intensity level and length.

Thanks,
J

with such high volume of lifting you really shouldn’t need cardio

if you NEED it though for sport etc than do nc workout then cardio i’d say

I like to have a little bit just in case I get out and play some softball or basketball. Plus, I’ve noticed that when I do some consistent cardio it seems to help my midsection when I’m trying to drop some bodyfat.

Edit: But I have no problem cutting back to just NC days. I really don’t like doing cardio anymore, it’s a necessary evil.

have you done week 3 yet/ surely you can’t fit cardio in that week

maybe you could cycle cardio

week 1 - 2/week
week 2 - 1/week
week 3 - off

repeat

[quote]swans05 wrote:
have you done week 3 yet/ surely you can’t fit cardio in that week

maybe you could cycle cardio

week 1 - 2/week
week 2 - 1/week
week 3 - off

repeat[/quote]

With the NC workouts being twice a week I can easily get in cardio twice a week. However, my other question to CT is if I should. If we’re suppose to feel fresh and primed for the rest of the week, should I do cardiO? When I’m done with cardio I don’t feel fresh at all.

[quote]Jaynick77 wrote:
Coach,

I’m on week two of the HP Mass Program and I really haven’t found time to squeeze in cardio on the Upper and Lower pressing days. I can incorporate cardio on the two NC and Lats/Bi’s workouts because the timing just works better, basically three days a week. However, in thinking about what you said about feeling good after the workout, like you can do more / feel energetic, I’m concerned about how to do cardio. I typically jog or run on a treadmill for 30 minutes but when I’m done I definitely don’t feel good, like I could do more if I had to. It’s more likely that I feel pretty beat afterwards. What would you recommend for incorporating cardio? Specifically, intensity level and length.

Thanks,
J[/quote]

What is your purpose for including “Cardio” in this program?

well no then