T Nation

HP Mass Applied to Calves

CT,

I know you don't train calves specifically but they are by far my most lagging body part and have frustrated me no end trying to get something to work on them.

My body has responded so well to the HP Mass and Im loving it so I was wondering whether (based on the HP Mass principles) if my calves would respond to a wave loading program targeting the gastro head.
Lets say picking 2 exercises like standing Calf Raise and Donkey calf raise and perform a 3/6 week wave load performed in the similar way you would for a "pressing muscle" as you say.
I was initially thinking 3 reps lifting explosively with a dead start at the bottom.

Im not sure whether you view the calves as a pressing muscle but just thought Id throw it out there.

Thanks again, loving the Livespill at the moment as well

I think CT mentioned somewhere that calves, like lats and biceps, respond better to high reps. Not sure what he recommends EXACTLY, but here is my take on it.

If you want to add more work for them (I only do when I don't have access to a sled, since the added overall leg volume from sled work normally seems to take care of them, or if want to focus on them for a while) I'd suggest you do it in the form of high rep sets at the end of the lower body workout.

For example 4x10, with slow tempo and holding at the bottom for a second or two to avoid bouncing. Then maybe a max rep set with slightly lower weight.

You could play around with supersets (standing and seated, for example) and so and. Experiment and find out what works best for you. I've just re-added isolation calves last week due to not having a sled for the next month or so, so it's hard for me to say what the best approach (for me) is.

B.

From the "Look like a BB..." article:

Again, my point is, if you do a lot of heavy squats, deadlifts, and the right kind of sled work, your calves will receive all the stimulation required to blow up. That being said, if you still insist on working calves, here's how I would do it:

I would work the calves directly only once per week at the very most. I would also use constant-tension techniques and long, time under combined tension.

For example, this means choosing one lifting exercise, like standing calf raises, and superset that with sled backward tiptoe-walking for 20-30 yards per set. As far as the calf raises, I recommend performing 10-12 reps, pausing two seconds at the bottom (to remove the stretch reflex) and holding two seconds at the top (to increase time under tension).

Pretty much what BiP was saying.