How's This Upper/Lower Routine?

I just created new upper/lower routine for myself.
Is it optimal? Will I burn out or get overtrained?

Upper 1
Lower 1
Rest
Upper 2
Lower 2
Rest
Rest

Lower 1

• Squat 4x6-8
  • Romanian Deadlift 3x8-10
  • Hack Squat 3x8-10
  • Calves 4x20
  • Abs

Lower 2

• Deadlift 4x4-6
  • Front Squat 3x8-10
  • Hyperextension 3x15
  • Calves 4x20
  • Abs

Upper 1

• Pull Ups 4x6-8
  • OHP 3x6-8
  • Wide Cable Rows 3x8-10
  • Dips 3x12
  • Standing biceps curls 3x8-10
  • Lying triceps extension 3x8-10

Upper 2

• Bench Press 4x6-8
  • Single Arm Rows 3x8-10
  • Incline Dumbell Press 3x8-10
  • Lateral raises 3x8-10
  • Concentration curls 3x8-10
  • Triceps Pushdown 3x8-10
  • Face Pulls 3x12-15

Your questions are impossible for anyone to answer, run it and find out. That’s the only way you will know.

In terms of the actual routine I think it’s pretty good. I would probably put more a little more back work in but it’s not too bad. Would look at the calves work as you have 2 days at 4x20, it might be worth doing 4x20 of a seated exercise and the other day to a lower rep range standing calve exercise.

Main thing is how are you progressing it?

Also nutrition will make or break any routine, so make sure that’s all in check.

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

Without knowing more about your goals and where you currently are, this really is impossible to answer. Also… nobody can tell you if it’s optimal. Whether you’ll burn out or get overtrained has a lot to do with where you’re starting and how you recover outside of the weight room (nutrition and sleep). That’s a trial and error deal. You can get good starting points and that’s about it.

Food for thought: look at the amount of compound exercises you have in upper body vs the amount you have in lower body. You may benefit from more single joint work in your lower body days. If you’re training for strength, I’d recommend training biceps after triceps. You’re likely to find your numbers in bench and OHP go up quicker this way.

Without a periodization design and some indication of what intensity the weights you’re going to be using are, it’s really impossible to answer a lot of questions. As far as the actual split, I do the same arrangement for scheduling.

Depending on your goals, you might also find it beneficial to add some GPP workouts on at least one rest day. Prowler pushes, sled pulls, kettlebell workouts, etc.

1 Like

Try this, similar but better…

A 5/3/1 split that goes squat/bench/rest/deadlift/ohp, is basically the same as the U/L/R/U/L/ template you posted.

But I agree with the notion to run it and find out. It seems like a sensible program.

1 Like

yep. optimal. best program that has ever been written.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the answer. In the future I will definitly try 5/3/1, after I improve my deadlift form…