Hows this Push/Pull WO?

Push:
Incline bench 275/100x5
Flat bench 245/95x5
Clean N Jerk 185x8
Dips xfail
Situp x10
HIIT cardio (still trying to loose the belly and keep the ticker intact)

Pull:
Squat 315x5
Deadlift 315x5
Pullup x5
Rows 185/65x8
Hip Adducters 80x10
HIIT

I do three sets of each. I feel real good with this so far but would like any tips or tweeks. I rotate dumbbells and barbells to keep synergist muscles strong. I work the #s up each set, the #s listed is the highest I use and the other #s is DBs.

Thanks for all replies.

Umm…you’re whole post is kind of confusing. I had to re-read your paragraph several times to even understand what the numbers meant.

That looks like 100 sets of 5 reps. Also you used the “#” symbol to represent both pounds and number. At least I think you did.

I’m just left with too many questions to really even offer advice. Is this just one day? Is this an am/pm split? What are you trying accomplish – strength, size, athleticism?

I really don’t know what to say. The program looks, uh, I don’t know…generic. It doesn’t look like a push/pull routine. But it doesn’t really look like anything specific. You’re exercise selection is nice, but it looks like they were just sort of thrown together with no thought process regarding set/rep schemes or what end product you are trying to reach.

Don’t get me wrong, randomness can be good and fun. And variety is great, especially when you have been chiseled in one program for the 6 months or longer. But this looks like forced randomness. You wouldn’t be writing and palnning this routine if it were truly just random fun.

Post you goals and more details and you will get a better answer.

All your base are belong to us,
Toddy

I also follow a push/pull split, so… to add to what malonetd just said (and I won’t mention your confusing choice of nomenclature, :wink: or not quite understanding if you’re doing 5 or 3 sets of each exercise):

• Clean N Jerk is a combination of push/pull, no? It’s an all-body exercise really, so I would do it on it’s own day, or concentrate on it by not doing that many push exercise on the day you include it.

• If your plan is going to consist of 2 training days, like you seem to imply, then the pull day is very wrong. I don’t think anyone will recommend training legs with any other body part. As an example, this is what I do on leg day:

• Squats (ATG)
  • 1/2 Squats
  • Stiff-leg deadlift
  • 1/4 Leg extensions (for the VMO)
  • Calf raises

It takes me about 50mins to get through it, and at the end I can barely walk and am sweating profusely. If you can do any other exercises on leg day, then you’re not training your legs hard enough. HIIT on leg day? you gotta be kidding! I can’t even do cardio the day after legs. I would recommend you dedicate a 3rd day to legs only.

• If you now have 3 training days, and legs on its own, you have to populate your pull day. Together with the pullup, you should do chinups, you could also do bentover rows (with BB), and one-arm rows (with DB). Why exactly are you doing Hip Adducters?

Right, if your goal is to lose that belly while getting strong, do your cardio on non-lifting days, especially if it’s HIIT. Reasons for this are:

• Weightlifting and HIIT increase your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) which means you’ll burn more calories after you’ve finished doing it. Take advantage of this and spread out your workouts so you are doing something almost every day.

• You need to give it all you’ve got in the gym. If you’ve had an intense lifting session, you won’t be able to go balls to the wall on HIIT, which is the only way to do it, right?

Personally, I’ve had good success with HIIT doing it first thing in the mornning on an empty stomach.

Of course, 3 lifting days + 2 HIIT days means you need to get to the gym 5 days a week, and you might not be able to do this. I don’t know your personal circumstances, so maybe this is out of the question for you, but if you can do it like this, it’s what I would recommend. I’m sure plenty of other T-Nationers will chime in with more advice, so watch this space.

Hope this helped!

Miserere

PS: If you’re just starting out at the gym, then forget the situps. Your abs will get enough of a workout with all the compund movements you’ll be doing. Further along, when that belly has come down, you can hit your abs with a passion. But at the moment, you want them to be as strong and rested as possible so you can maintain correct form in the compound movements.

I’m not sure what you’re looking for in responses, but I do a push/pull system. Horizontal back and horizontal chest on one day, squat legs the next, then energy work on the next day. Then vertical back and vertical chest, deadlift legs the next day, and energy work the next day. Repeat. On the upper body days, I alternate the back and chest, push and pulls.

[quote]bikemike wrote:
I’m not sure what you’re looking for in responses, but I do a push/pull system. Horizontal back and horizontal chest on one day, squat legs the next, then energy work on the next day. Then vertical back and vertical chest, deadlift legs the next day, and energy work the next day. Repeat. On the upper body days, I alternate the back and chest, push and pulls.[/quote]

When not doing full-body workouts, I do the same thing. I think it’s a great way to train.

Sorry for the confused post I was alittle tired when I wrote it. It made sense to me at the time I wrote it but now I read it again feel what you mean.

I only have 4 days available to workout. So I do each WO twice a week. Thanks again for the replies with all the cofusion.

[quote]erknjerk wrote:
Sorry for the confused post I was alittle tired when I wrote it. It made sense to me at the time I wrote it but now I read it again feel what you mean.

I only have 4 days available to workout. So I do each WO twice a week. Thanks again for the replies with all the cofusion.[/quote]

In that case, I would recommend you do a 3 day split, with cardio and felxibility stretching on the 4th day. You can stick in another session of cardio at the end of one of the 3 lifting days if you really want to; but don’t do it on leg day!

Post your body stats, goals and lifting experience; that way people will be able to give you more specific advice.