T Nation

How's This Full Body Routine?

Looking at doing a full body routine for a while, how does this look?

Squats/Deadlift â?? 3 sets of 5.
Incline Barbell Presses â?? 3 sets of 5.
Wide-Grip Chins â?? 3 sets to failure.
Clean and Press â?? 3 sets of 6.
Standing Barbell Curls â?? 3 sets of 6.
Pullover Press â?? 3 sets of 6.

^a proven option

Whatever you decide, track your progress.

Thanks but:

dead 170kg
squat 150kg
bench 125kg

Its impossible to add weight 3x a week.

Guess i can only try this routine and see how i get on

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:

^a proven option

Whatever you decide, track your progress.[/quote]

edit: Or just do a proven program that people have had good results with.

[quote]19dan89 wrote:
Thanks but:

dead 170kg
squat 150kg
bench 125kg

Its impossible to add weight 3x a week.

Guess i can only try this routine and see how i get on

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:

^a proven option

Whatever you decide, track your progress.[/quote]
[/quote]

Saying it’s impossible is just begging to fail. did you try?

Definitely not impossible to progress weekly on those numbers.
Like, you really don’t think you could eek out an extra rep, or five more pounds, or one more set each week?
Progression doesn’t necessarily have to be some huge PR, it’s the little things that count.

If I were to do Full Body workouts, I’d do:
Squat/Hex Deadlift: 6x3
Pull-Ups: x50
Glute-Ham Raise: x50
Hang Clean and Push Press: 5x5

Something like that.
I hate doing two big lifts in one workout though, I don’t feel like I should be able to properly perform an OH Press after a squat day, I should be too demolished from squatting.
I should be able to get my assistance work done and drag my ass home and slobber on the couch for a few hours, but that’s about it…

Why do you want to train full-body OP? Are you restricted to only training a few days a week?
If not I’d recommend at least an upper/lower split.
But, then again, I suppose this all depends on what your goals are, and what your training history is like.

So, you do you OP, you, do, you.

Why do people think full body training means doing the same exact workout 3 days a week? Unless your entirely new to training this isnt going to work for any length of time.

your specific goals, weak points, etc. would be necassary for anyone to give you any valid recomendations

[quote]jsneves wrote:
Why do people think full body training means doing the same exact workout 3 days a week? Unless your entirely new to training this isnt going to work for any length of time.

your specific goals, weak points, etc. would be necassary for anyone to give you any valid recomendations[/quote]

Haha, now I feel stupid.

You’re welcome… http://www.T-Nation.com/strength-training-topics/1316

The revised routine:

the “rep goal” of 20 is not 20 reps per set it is a total goal of 20 reps for all 3 sets, so weight will be added when one hits 20 21 reps.

Monday

Incline Barbell Presses - 3 x 20 rep goal
Wide-Grip pull ups - 3 sets to failure.
Pullover Press - 3 x 20 rep goal
Standing Barbell Curls - 3 x 25 rep goal
Squats - 3 x 20 rep goal

Wednesday

Dips - 3 sets to failure
Close grip chin ups - 3 sets to failure.
Clean and Press - 3 x 20 rep goal
Deadlift - 1 set of 5.
Calf complex* - 3 sets

  • Calf complex - 12 reps with heavy weight, 12 reps on platform with no weight, 12 reps on floor.

Friday

Incline Barbell Presses - 3 x 20 rep goal
Bent over BB Row - 3 x 20 rep goal.
Pullover Press - 3 x 20 rep goal
Standing Barbell Curls - 3 x 25 rep goal
Split Squats - 3 x 30 rep goal

[quote]19dan89 wrote:
The revised routine:

the “rep goal” of 20 is not 20 reps per set it is a total goal of 20 reps for all 3 sets, so weight will be added when one hits 20 21 reps.

Monday

Incline Barbell Presses - 3 x 20 rep goal
Wide-Grip pull ups - 3 sets to failure.
Pullover Press - 3 x 20 rep goal
Standing Barbell Curls - 3 x 25 rep goal
Squats - 3 x 20 rep goal

Wednesday

Dips - 3 sets to failure
Close grip chin ups - 3 sets to failure.
Clean and Press - 3 x 20 rep goal
Deadlift - 1 set of 5.
Calf complex* - 3 sets

  • Calf complex - 12 reps with heavy weight, 12 reps on platform with no weight, 12 reps on floor.

Friday

Incline Barbell Presses - 3 x 20 rep goal
Bent over BB Row - 3 x 20 rep goal.
Pullover Press - 3 x 20 rep goal
Standing Barbell Curls - 3 x 25 rep goal
Split Squats - 3 x 30 rep goal
[/quote]

This looks very good to me. I’m no expert but I have similar lifts to you and did a similar 3-day whole body workout for 6 months recently and made good gains. The only thing I really did differently was some form of row every day to balance out pressing every day, whereas you only row once per week. Also I did as much work on triceps as on biceps, but you seem to just isolate biceps without isolating triceps. In my limited experience it is very important to balance out antagonistic movements, for joint health, function and looks. Good luck with it!

Thanks for the reply,

the pullover press is more of a skullcrusher and close grip press which is my direct tricep movement.

Also every press has a pull, e.g monday has inc bench, followed by pullups, wed has dips followed by close grip chin ups, and fri has inc bench followed by a row.

Each day follows a push/pull/push/pull/legs structure so each has some rest time in between being worked, and as you can see from that push and pull are being worked evenly.

[quote]furo wrote:

[quote]19dan89 wrote:
The revised routine:

the “rep goal” of 20 is not 20 reps per set it is a total goal of 20 reps for all 3 sets, so weight will be added when one hits 20 21 reps.

Monday

Incline Barbell Presses - 3 x 20 rep goal
Wide-Grip pull ups - 3 sets to failure.
Pullover Press - 3 x 20 rep goal
Standing Barbell Curls - 3 x 25 rep goal
Squats - 3 x 20 rep goal

Wednesday

Dips - 3 sets to failure
Close grip chin ups - 3 sets to failure.
Clean and Press - 3 x 20 rep goal
Deadlift - 1 set of 5.
Calf complex* - 3 sets

  • Calf complex - 12 reps with heavy weight, 12 reps on platform with no weight, 12 reps on floor.

Friday

Incline Barbell Presses - 3 x 20 rep goal
Bent over BB Row - 3 x 20 rep goal.
Pullover Press - 3 x 20 rep goal
Standing Barbell Curls - 3 x 25 rep goal
Split Squats - 3 x 30 rep goal
[/quote]

This looks very good to me. I’m no expert but I have similar lifts to you and did a similar 3-day whole body workout for 6 months recently and made good gains. The only thing I really did differently was some form of row every day to balance out pressing every day, whereas you only row once per week. Also I did as much work on triceps as on biceps, but you seem to just isolate biceps without isolating triceps. In my limited experience it is very important to balance out antagonistic movements, for joint health, function and looks. Good luck with it![/quote]

[quote]19dan89 wrote:
Thanks for the reply,

the pullover press is more of a skullcrusher and close grip press which is my direct tricep movement.

Also every press has a pull, e.g monday has inc bench, followed by pullups, wed has dips followed by close grip chin ups, and fri has inc bench followed by a row.

Each day follows a push/pull/push/pull/legs structure so each has some rest time in between being worked, and as you can see from that push and pull are being worked evenly.

[quote]furo wrote:

[quote]19dan89 wrote:
The revised routine:

the “rep goal” of 20 is not 20 reps per set it is a total goal of 20 reps for all 3 sets, so weight will be added when one hits 20 21 reps.

Monday

Incline Barbell Presses - 3 x 20 rep goal
Wide-Grip pull ups - 3 sets to failure.
Pullover Press - 3 x 20 rep goal
Standing Barbell Curls - 3 x 25 rep goal
Squats - 3 x 20 rep goal

Wednesday

Dips - 3 sets to failure
Close grip chin ups - 3 sets to failure.
Clean and Press - 3 x 20 rep goal
Deadlift - 1 set of 5.
Calf complex* - 3 sets

  • Calf complex - 12 reps with heavy weight, 12 reps on platform with no weight, 12 reps on floor.

Friday

Incline Barbell Presses - 3 x 20 rep goal
Bent over BB Row - 3 x 20 rep goal.
Pullover Press - 3 x 20 rep goal
Standing Barbell Curls - 3 x 25 rep goal
Split Squats - 3 x 30 rep goal
[/quote]

This looks very good to me. I’m no expert but I have similar lifts to you and did a similar 3-day whole body workout for 6 months recently and made good gains. The only thing I really did differently was some form of row every day to balance out pressing every day, whereas you only row once per week. Also I did as much work on triceps as on biceps, but you seem to just isolate biceps without isolating triceps. In my limited experience it is very important to balance out antagonistic movements, for joint health, function and looks. Good luck with it![/quote]
[/quote]

Ok thats great, I didn’t know what a pullover press is. I see that you are doing equal pull for push, and its a small point, but I like to use directly antagonistic exercises as suggested by Waterbury and Christian Thib… in their ebooks. Ie a pull-down (ie chinup) isn’t directly antagonistic to an incline chest press - rows are. I think its important to get plenty of rows AND pulldowns.

But, like I said, I’m no expert and I’m sure your routine will work well for you. It looks like a good one, I’m just suggesting what I have found works for me.

Thanks for the suggestions !.

[quote]furo wrote:

[quote]19dan89 wrote:
Thanks for the reply,

the pullover press is more of a skullcrusher and close grip press which is my direct tricep movement.

Also every press has a pull, e.g monday has inc bench, followed by pullups, wed has dips followed by close grip chin ups, and fri has inc bench followed by a row.

Each day follows a push/pull/push/pull/legs structure so each has some rest time in between being worked, and as you can see from that push and pull are being worked evenly.

[quote]furo wrote:

[quote]19dan89 wrote:
The revised routine:

the “rep goal” of 20 is not 20 reps per set it is a total goal of 20 reps for all 3 sets, so weight will be added when one hits 20 21 reps.

Monday

Incline Barbell Presses - 3 x 20 rep goal
Wide-Grip pull ups - 3 sets to failure.
Pullover Press - 3 x 20 rep goal
Standing Barbell Curls - 3 x 25 rep goal
Squats - 3 x 20 rep goal

Wednesday

Dips - 3 sets to failure
Close grip chin ups - 3 sets to failure.
Clean and Press - 3 x 20 rep goal
Deadlift - 1 set of 5.
Calf complex* - 3 sets

  • Calf complex - 12 reps with heavy weight, 12 reps on platform with no weight, 12 reps on floor.

Friday

Incline Barbell Presses - 3 x 20 rep goal
Bent over BB Row - 3 x 20 rep goal.
Pullover Press - 3 x 20 rep goal
Standing Barbell Curls - 3 x 25 rep goal
Split Squats - 3 x 30 rep goal
[/quote]

This looks very good to me. I’m no expert but I have similar lifts to you and did a similar 3-day whole body workout for 6 months recently and made good gains. The only thing I really did differently was some form of row every day to balance out pressing every day, whereas you only row once per week. Also I did as much work on triceps as on biceps, but you seem to just isolate biceps without isolating triceps. In my limited experience it is very important to balance out antagonistic movements, for joint health, function and looks. Good luck with it![/quote]
[/quote]

Ok thats great, I didn’t know what a pullover press is. I see that you are doing equal pull for push, and its a small point, but I like to use directly antagonistic exercises as suggested by Waterbury and Christian Thib… in their ebooks. Ie a pull-down (ie chinup) isn’t directly antagonistic to an incline chest press - rows are. I think its important to get plenty of rows AND pulldowns.

But, like I said, I’m no expert and I’m sure your routine will work well for you. It looks like a good one, I’m just suggesting what I have found works for me. [/quote]

[quote]jsneves wrote:
Why do people think full body training means doing the same exact workout 3 days a week? Unless your entirely new to training this isnt going to work for any length of time.

your specific goals, weak points, etc. would be necassary for anyone to give you any valid recomendations[/quote]

People have some very weird perceptions of full body training. They seem to think that you have to concentrate on every muscle group evenly, as if your body parts all respond the same or your weakness is the same as the next person.