T Nation

How's This for a Routine for PLer/BBer?

I am a 15 years old bodybuilder/powerlifter from norway

My main goal is to bench 100 kilos by 24th December

i train Monday, Wednesday and friday:

week 1 A, B, A

week 2 B, A, B

Repeat

here is my workout plan 5 sets and 5 reps on everything, not written in the order they are performed

Workout A

Bench press Barbell

Squats( to parallel)

Shoulder Press Barbell

Bent over row Barbell

Supination Curls Dumbbells

shrugs

standing calf raise

tricep pushdown

crunches

Workout B

Deadlift

Pull ups

Incline Bench Press Dumbbell

upright row

leg curl machine

a good morning machine while sitting (which means that it doesn’t work the legs )

machine side twist

If I was you I would try 5/3/1 for quite a while, or a 5x5 routine. In my opinion, unless you need help critiquing a meet prep training cycle, If you have to ask to see if a workout that looks like that is going to work, you really don’t know how to write your own program.

so it’s bad? i have been doing it for about 4-5 weeks now.

[quote]ultralars wrote:
so it’s bad? i have been doing it for about 4-5 weeks now.[/quote]

Its not like gonna kill you if you do it, but I will bet you would do better on a program that has worked for many people. Your just not advanced enough to make up your own program, because you dont know how great your body works, if you did you would know that the program was the way to go without having to ask.

So yes, its bad…I know I wouldnt use it.

5/3/1 BBB template

[quote]brauny96 wrote:

[quote]ultralars wrote:
so it’s bad? i have been doing it for about 4-5 weeks now.[/quote]

Its not like gonna kill you if you do it, but I will bet you would do better on a program that has worked for many people. Your just not advanced enough to make up your own program, because you dont know how great your body works, if you did you would know that the program was the way to go without having to ask.

So yes, its bad…I know I wouldnt use it.[/quote]
what you saying i don’t know how muscle is built at cellular level?? are you stupid of course i do.

[quote]ultralars wrote:

[quote]brauny96 wrote:

[quote]ultralars wrote:
so it’s bad? i have been doing it for about 4-5 weeks now.[/quote]

Its not like gonna kill you if you do it, but I will bet you would do better on a program that has worked for many people. Your just not advanced enough to make up your own program, because you dont know how great your body works, if you did you would know that the program was the way to go without having to ask.

So yes, its bad…I know I wouldnt use it.[/quote]
what you saying i don’t know how muscle is built at cellular level?? are you stupid of course i do.[/quote]

You sound like an IB kid. He’s saying your program sucks because you haven’t been lifting long enough to know what works for you. And honestly, he is right, your program sucks. Do starting strength, 5x5 or 5/3/1. Plus eat over maintenance Calories and you will gain. No hard feelings.

Like others said just do 5/3/1 and be sure to buy the ebook. Do it for at least a year, after that you’ll be able to tell easier if a program/routine is good or not. If you want an answer different than this look in a different forum. Also on this site I have never seen anyone post their routine asking for advice without the answer being “it sucks do ___ program instead”, so don’t expect any different answers in the non-powerlifting forums either.

Also in response to another post above which I won’t quote it is true that you don’t know anything about writing a program. Any gains you have made so far are newbie gains and don’t require a decent program at all. What you are doing may work for a while but there are definitely better ones as me and others suggested already. On the plus side just by reading this site you are off to a better start than me though even when I was 20.

so i would be better of i just did Stronglifts 5x5 thats a great routine isn’t it?

i still don’t understand whats wrong with my routine :confused:

Your routine’s fine, don’t sweat it. You could post the best program ever invented, custom made for you by the Gods of strength, and random people here would still tell you what you do is wrong. As you can see the current flavor of the week is 5/3/1 so everybody’s on your nuts to do that. They don’t even know what’s good for themselves, but they still pretend they know better for you.

Your program looks straight out the dinosaur training book, the most old school type of program. Shit will change as you get older and stronger, but these programs are fine for you right now. In my teens, full body workouts like that were 10x more productive than any split.

[quote]daraz wrote:

Your program looks straight out the dinosaur training book, the most old school type of program. [/quote]

How so?

[quote]daraz wrote:
Your routine’s fine, don’t sweat it. You could post the best program ever invented, custom made for you by the Gods of strength, and random people here would still tell you what you do is wrong. As you can see the current flavor of the week is 5/3/1 so everybody’s on your nuts to do that. They don’t even know what’s good for themselves, but they still pretend they know better for you.

Your program looks straight out the dinosaur training book, the most old school type of program. Shit will change as you get older and stronger, but these programs are fine for you right now. In my teens, full body workouts like that were 10x more productive than any split.[/quote]

I think you took what everyone is saying a bit out of context. The people here are just trying to help, and other members are more experienced than the OP. Also, they are recommending he stick with a program already made and tested, instead of creating his own, because most likely someone who is new does not have the experience or knowledge to create their own program. (No offense to the OP, as you could include me in this category) I don’t think if someone posted in the beginners section asking for a good program you would tell him to make his own, or at least tell him that without providing some articles that would instruct him on how to actually make his own program.

I also don’t understand your attitude towards other members offering help, and maybe they’re recommending 5/3/1 based off the fact that so many people have had good gains on it and it is created by someone who may actually be considered a “strength god” as you put it.

EDIT: It wasn’t only 5/3/1 that was recommended either.

[quote]parsley wrote:

[quote]daraz wrote:
Your routine’s fine, don’t sweat it. You could post the best program ever invented, custom made for you by the Gods of strength, and random people here would still tell you what you do is wrong. As you can see the current flavor of the week is 5/3/1 so everybody’s on your nuts to do that. They don’t even know what’s good for themselves, but they still pretend they know better for you.

Your program looks straight out the dinosaur training book, the most old school type of program. Shit will change as you get older and stronger, but these programs are fine for you right now. In my teens, full body workouts like that were 10x more productive than any split.[/quote]

I think you took what everyone is saying a bit out of context. The people here are just trying to help, and other members are more experienced than the OP. Also, they are recommending he stick with a program already made and tested, instead of creating his own, because most likely someone who is new does not have the experience or knowledge to create their own program. (No offense to the OP, as you could include me in this category) I don’t think if someone posted in the beginners section asking for a good program you would tell him to make his own, or at least tell him that without providing some articles that would instruct him on how to actually make his own program.

I also don’t understand your attitude towards other members offering help, and maybe they’re recommending 5/3/1 based off the fact that so many people have had good gains on it and it is created by someone who may actually be considered a “strength god” as you put it.

EDIT: It wasn’t only 5/3/1 that was recommended either.[/quote]

hell, everyone here told me my routine sucks but they didn’t tell me why. except that i was unexperienced.
as far as i know a good weekly routine needs to include:

squat, bench press an deadlift.
repetition range based on goal ( i do 5 reps as thats in strength range, and 5 sets which fatigues the muscles causing hypertrophy )
all muscles in one session( for strength that is )
compound over isolation exercises
you need to lift intensely but not to failure.

so if there is anything wrong with this, point if out.

[quote]daraz wrote:
Your routine’s fine, don’t sweat it. You could post the best program ever invented, custom made for you by the Gods of strength, and random people here would still tell you what you do is wrong. As you can see the current flavor of the week is 5/3/1 so everybody’s on your nuts to do that. They don’t even know what’s good for themselves, but they still pretend they know better for you.

Your program looks straight out the dinosaur training book, the most old school type of program. Shit will change as you get older and stronger, but these programs are fine for you right now. In my teens, full body workouts like that were 10x more productive than any split.[/quote]

I’m not a random fucking guy, Ive spent enough time under the bar to realize that “hmmm maybe my bench doesnt respond to something, and my shoulders get really beat up from it” or “wow my squat is increasing with X program, so in the future I should do something like that.” I know how my body works because Ive gotten more experience on how to LISTEN to it, and that definitely doesnt happen overnight.

And for the record, I dont use 5/3/1, and I dont ever plan on using it again. because I listened to my body and looked at how much stronger/weaker I was getting, and made changes to it based on how I PERSONALLY felt. I recommended 5/3/1 because I saw how many BEGINNERS (OP) used it and learned the form, got bigger/stronger, and got some experience from it after a year.

To the OP

Your program will work for maybe another few months, hell maybe a bit longer, but once your body doenst just grow from newbie gains, you will stop, stall and go backwards with that thing. But whatever, you can just be like the other dumbasses, that wont take advice, then bitch and moan when theyre still 140 pounds after a year, I dont give a fuck.

[quote]ultralars wrote:

[quote]parsley wrote:

[quote]daraz wrote:
Your routine’s fine, don’t sweat it. You could post the best program ever invented, custom made for you by the Gods of strength, and random people here would still tell you what you do is wrong. As you can see the current flavor of the week is 5/3/1 so everybody’s on your nuts to do that. They don’t even know what’s good for themselves, but they still pretend they know better for you.

Your program looks straight out the dinosaur training book, the most old school type of program. Shit will change as you get older and stronger, but these programs are fine for you right now. In my teens, full body workouts like that were 10x more productive than any split.[/quote]

I think you took what everyone is saying a bit out of context. The people here are just trying to help, and other members are more experienced than the OP. Also, they are recommending he stick with a program already made and tested, instead of creating his own, because most likely someone who is new does not have the experience or knowledge to create their own program. (No offense to the OP, as you could include me in this category) I don’t think if someone posted in the beginners section asking for a good program you would tell him to make his own, or at least tell him that without providing some articles that would instruct him on how to actually make his own program.

I also don’t understand your attitude towards other members offering help, and maybe they’re recommending 5/3/1 based off the fact that so many people have had good gains on it and it is created by someone who may actually be considered a “strength god” as you put it.

EDIT: It wasn’t only 5/3/1 that was recommended either.[/quote]

hell, everyone here told me my routine sucks but they didn’t tell me why. except that i was unexperienced.
as far as i know a good weekly routine needs to include:

squat, bench press an deadlift.
repetition range based on goal ( i do 5 reps as thats in strength range, and 5 sets which fatigues the muscles causing hypertrophy )
Hit separate muscle groupes per training session, with heavy compounds using higher to low rep ranges, where the weights increase, and assistance with high(er) rep ranges with sub maximal weights.
compound over isolation exercises
you need to lift intensely but not to failure.

so if there is anything wrong with this, point if out.
[/quote]
Fixed

[quote]brauny96 wrote:

[quote]daraz wrote:
Your routine’s fine, don’t sweat it. You could post the best program ever invented, custom made for you by the Gods of strength, and random people here would still tell you what you do is wrong. As you can see the current flavor of the week is 5/3/1 so everybody’s on your nuts to do that. They don’t even know what’s good for themselves, but they still pretend they know better for you.

Your program looks straight out the dinosaur training book, the most old school type of program. Shit will change as you get older and stronger, but these programs are fine for you right now. In my teens, full body workouts like that were 10x more productive than any split.[/quote]

I’m not a random fucking guy, Ive spent enough time under the bar to realize that “hmmm maybe my bench doesnt respond to something, and my shoulders get really beat up from it” or “wow my squat is increasing with X program, so in the future I should do something like that.” I know how my body works because Ive gotten more experience on how to LISTEN to it, and that definitely doesnt happen overnight.

And for the record, I dont use 5/3/1, and I dont ever plan on using it again. because I listened to my body and looked at how much stronger/weaker I was getting, and made changes to it based on how I PERSONALLY felt. I recommended 5/3/1 because I saw how many BEGINNERS (OP) used it and learned the form, got bigger/stronger, and got some experience from it after a year.

To the OP

Your program will work for maybe another few months, hell maybe a bit longer, but once your body doenst just grow from newbie gains, you will stop, stall and go backwards with that thing. But whatever, you can just be like the other dumbasses, that wont take advice, then bitch and moan when theyre still 140 pounds after a year, I dont give a fuck.[/quote]
this

how the fuck can you call my routine shit without giving any fucking reason at all???
you just told me i was unexperienced, is that your argument???
i gave you a whole fucking list on stuff i base my routine on, how the fuck is any of that wrong??
newbie gains might last 4-6 months but no more… i have been training for 8 months

[quote]ultralars wrote:

[quote]brauny96 wrote:

[quote]daraz wrote:
Your routine’s fine, don’t sweat it. You could post the best program ever invented, custom made for you by the Gods of strength, and random people here would still tell you what you do is wrong. As you can see the current flavor of the week is 5/3/1 so everybody’s on your nuts to do that. They don’t even know what’s good for themselves, but they still pretend they know better for you.

Your program looks straight out the dinosaur training book, the most old school type of program. Shit will change as you get older and stronger, but these programs are fine for you right now. In my teens, full body workouts like that were 10x more productive than any split.[/quote]

I’m not a random fucking guy, Ive spent enough time under the bar to realize that “hmmm maybe my bench doesnt respond to something, and my shoulders get really beat up from it” or “wow my squat is increasing with X program, so in the future I should do something like that.” I know how my body works because Ive gotten more experience on how to LISTEN to it, and that definitely doesnt happen overnight.

And for the record, I dont use 5/3/1, and I dont ever plan on using it again. because I listened to my body and looked at how much stronger/weaker I was getting, and made changes to it based on how I PERSONALLY felt. I recommended 5/3/1 because I saw how many BEGINNERS (OP) used it and learned the form, got bigger/stronger, and got some experience from it after a year.

To the OP

Your program will work for maybe another few months, hell maybe a bit longer, but once your body doenst just grow from newbie gains, you will stop, stall and go backwards with that thing. But whatever, you can just be like the other dumbasses, that wont take advice, then bitch and moan when theyre still 140 pounds after a year, I dont give a fuck.[/quote]
this

how the fuck can you call my routine shit without giving any fucking reason at all???
you just told me i was unexperienced, is that your argument???
i gave you a whole fucking list on stuff i base my routine on, how the fuck is any of that wrong??
newbie gains might last 4-6 months but no more… i have been training for 8 months[/quote]

Fine. Go crazy, do whatever you feel like. But why ask for advice if you aren´t going to heed it? You might want to step back for a second and ponder the fact that strong people with years under the bar might understand a thing or two about this game that you don´t yet. Be humble and you might just learn something. Otherwise, take your infantile fucking whining somewhere else, kid.

the rule of thumb is pretty simple:
if you have to ask others whether your routine is good, you are not advanced enough to make your own routine and should instead follow SS or 5/3/1 and learn. then you will be able to create your own program and you won’t have to ask people if it’s good, because you will know what works for you.

[quote]ultralars wrote:

5 sets and 5 reps on everything, not written in the order they are performed

Workout A

Bench press Barbell

Squats( to parallel)

Shoulder Press Barbell

Bent over row Barbell

Supination Curls Dumbbells

shrugs

standing calf raise

tricep pushdown

crunches

[/quote]

Just to clarify why everybody is bashing down this program: let’s say you start with the bench press, do your 5 sets of 5 reps, resting 2-3 minutes between each set…you’ve already spent 20 minutes (I’m counting general warm-up and some lighter sets of bench).

Next, lets move to squat: again, a couple of light sets to warm-up, then 5 sets of five reps, with the last set being the heaviest one…15-20 minutes, then a couple of minutes to catch your breath and be able to stand up again.

So far, you’ve been in the gym for nearly 45 minutes, now you should overhead press with fatigued shoulders and triceps (from BP), bent-over row with a fatigued lower back (from squat)…and even if you shorten your rest periods, you’ll be training for more than two hours, progressively loosing focus, intensity and basically wasting your time 'cause you’ve already given all you had for BP and Squat…

You asked if Stronglifts is a good routine; I think so, at least for an “advanced beginner” like you. Just add some bi/tri/calf/rear delt/abs work ad the end of the scheduled WO (a couple of exercises each session).

ultralars,

What are your current Bench/Squat/DL numbers and what were they at the beginning of 2010?