How's This Breakfast?

Hey everyone,

I just started with making my food schedule. Now I have a question about my breakfast. I have read on T-Nation about this, and I know I have to let it be carbs+protein, and not too much fat.

Now I have come up with this:
500mll milk
2 bananas
100g oatmeal

This is a 851cals breakfast with 32.5 protein, 147carbs and 13.5 fat

I was wondering if this is too much fat and not enough protein, or that this will do?

And since I’m asking something, I might as well ask another thing. yesterday, the doctor concluded bronchitus, and I got on antibiotics. Can this have effect on your training intensity and results?

Grts from Amsterdammed

breakfast does not HAVE to be carbs and protein. Find out what your body grows best off of and feed it that. With that said, that is a ton of carbs and not much protein or fat. Are you trying to gain weight, lose weight or just maintain and lean out a little?

[quote]JaX Un wrote:
breakfast does not HAVE to be carbs and protein. Find out what your body grows best off of and feed it that. With that said, that is a ton of carbs and not much protein or fat. Are you trying to gain weight, lose weight or just maintain and lean out a little?[/quote]

Okay, I didn’t know that since I wrote in an article by John M Berardi that you your meals have to be either carbs + protein + minimal fat, or protein + fat with minimal carbs… Therefore I was think that I mostly train after my breakfast, and as I don’t want any fats near my training, I chose for the protein and carbs.

I’m just giving it a try then. Since there are a lot of carbs what I need for my training, I hope this is a good one.

I’m trying to gain weight, by bulking. I need approximately 4300 cals and I’m taking 4800.

Firstly, an 851 Kcal breakfast, is a lot in my opinion (in the real world, were you don’t gain muscle fast). How fast are you gaining weight? Were are 150 grams of carbs going at the morning in one meal? In my opinion, I would recommend a more balanced breakfast, such as two-three eggs and a few whites, skimm milk and half a cup of oats. Or something like that, according to calorie expenditure… imo.

Of course there is the protein plus fat strategy for breakfast. But the protein plus carb for morning, is older than I am.

But, If you had training last night, late, you might prefer a P+C meal in the morning, again without abusing carbs.

[quote]Amsterdammed wrote:

[quote]JaX Un wrote:
breakfast does not HAVE to be carbs and protein. Find out what your body grows best off of and feed it that. With that said, that is a ton of carbs and not much protein or fat. Are you trying to gain weight, lose weight or just maintain and lean out a little?[/quote]

Okay, I didn’t know that since I wrote in an article by John M Berardi that you your meals have to be either carbs + protein + minimal fat, or protein + fat with minimal carbs… Therefore I was think that I mostly train after my breakfast, and as I don’t want any fats near my training, I chose for the protein and carbs.

I’m trying to gain weight, by bulking. I need approximately 4300 cals and I’m taking 4800.[/quote]

That’s one person’s opinion. I do like Berardi’s work - but his more recent stuff is carbs <25% calories except PWO and obviously adapt to your own body.

You have to find what works for you. For me probably a bit high carb, bit low protein.

I agree with high_intensity: your breakfast is very high in calories. However, there isn’t necessarily enough information provided for even that statement to seem qualified enough. In other words, we know little about you. What are your stats (height, weight, body composition, etc.) and goals (mass gain, lean bulk, maintainence, weight loss, fat loss, etc.)? Having that information changes everything.

I’d venture to guess that your current breakfast is rather high in carbs and low in proteins. Like plateau mentions, you have to figure out what works for you. I’d suggest starting by reducing your fruit intake to one banana, or perhaps a ruby red grapefruit or blueberries - both of which should have lesser impacts on your blood sugars. They also provide greater antioxidant support.

As with the oatmeal, you may or may not need quite so much. Don’t be afraid to play around with how much oatmeal you eat at that time. If you expect your energy expenditures to be greater that day (i.e. leg day), go for it. Next is your protein. 500 mls of milk doesn’t contain that much protein - 18 to 20 grams, tops. Exclude the protein found in your oatmeal because it isn’t a complete source. Add 250 mls of egg whites and one or two whole eggs and prepare/season how you like. That should get you started.

Ah, did you read the Massive Eating article by any chance?