How's This 5/3/1 Forever BBB Plan?

Just purchased a copy of 531 Forever. If any reader/member has time to offer their insight into my understanding of it below I would be really grateful. Thanks.

LEADER (2 cycles - 6 weeks)

Day 1 - Squat

5’s Pro

5 x 10 @ FSL

Ab movement

Day 2 - Bench

5’s Pro

5 x 10 @ FSL/Db Rows between each set

3x10 Inc DB press 2x10 Dips

Day 3 - Deadlift

5’s Pro

5 x 10 @ FSL

Ab movement

Day 4 -

5’s Pro

5 x 10 @ FSL Pups between each set

3x10 DB shoulder press 2x10 Dips

7th week deload (still confused but will revisit)

Anchor 3/5/1

Day 1 - Squat

3/3/3+

5/5/5

5/3/1+

5 x 5 @ FSL

Ab movement

Day 2 - Bench

3/3/3+

5/5/5

5/3/1+

5 x 5 @ FSL/Db Rows between each set

Day 3 - Deadlift

3/3/3+

5/5/5

5/3/1+

5 x 5 @ FSL

Ab movement

Day 4 -

3/3/3+

5/5/5

5/3/1+

5 x 5 @ FSL Pups between each set

Is there anything I have misunderstood completely here or anything missing?

5x10 is usually done @ 50% not FSL(which is 65,70,75 depending on a week). If you can comfortably do 5x10 squats @ FSL percentages after your top set, something might be off.

Way too much push and way too little pull here in my opinion. Also, no single leg work at all.

What are you doing for conditioning or flexibility? Are you doing any jumps or throws?

I regularly do BBB at FSL. With no plus sets and an appropriate TM, it’s totally doable.

@Jac12345 what TM are you planning to use?

Jim says in forever BBB to use very little single leg work on BBB?

I am doing 50 reps of pulling on each press day. Should I add some face pulls into deadlift day?

Thanks for the reply Hank. I must have misread. Will change that

If that’s what Jim says, do it. He’s smarter than me.

I would go a lot further than that. On Bench day you currently have 13 sets of pushing and 5 of pulling. On Press day you have 18 sets of pushing and 0 pulling. I’m not saying you must have exactly equal amounts of each, but there’s a balance to be found.

EDIT: it occured to me after posting that Pups probably means pull ups not Press ups, my bad on that one.

Any thoughts on any of these questions?

This is what BBB Beefcake is

1 Like

Yes it was Pull Ups that’s my bad.

For conditioning I play sports three times a week 2 x 1 hour and 1 x 90 mins. But also have an air bike in my home gym, battle ropes and heavy sandbag.

Will start with 85% of training max

1 Like

Give it a try and find out then.

Thanks for the replies, very much appreciated.

I thought it was.

1 Like

i know there is such a variation but i have been doing 5x5 FSL after my top set lately and my TM is set so i can get 9 reps on 5s day, 7 reps on 3s day and 5reps on 1s day, and after that 5x5 @ FSL is good with 2 min rests, but if id imagine i have to do the same sets for 10 reps, either i would need 10min rests or i might not be able to do them, especially on lower body day.
Maybe im just weaker than anyone else here.

Or you’re using a higher TM?

As i mentioned, my TM is set so i can do +4 reps over the minimum. So i am sure its not more than 90%. Probably 85%?
I dont really calculate percentages, i just keep it so i can always do at least 5 reps on 1s week. I believe its not a high TM.
For me to feel good doing 5x10 @ 75% after 1s top set, id have to take like 75-80% TM. Right?

You have mentioned previously how your body seems to be responding poorly to lifting. It may be. The goal is to get all the 5x10 work done in 20 minutes with BBB Beefcake.

1 Like

@hankthetank89 80% is not unheard of as a TM.

FWIW, in my opinion, pull-ups as pulling doesn’t undo or balance pressing as it is lat-dominant and will further encourage shoulder internal rotation. I’m mentioning this because I assume that some people are doing their pulling to compensate for their pressing as to maintain overall structural integrity for longevity/long-term strength improvements.

Edit: I’m guessing it’d be fair to mention that if someone is really conscientious in their exercise execution (actively depress the scapulae at the top) might be doing their shoulders more good than harm but talking for myself when I’ve gone heavy or for max reps that conscientiousness gets left at the door.

1 Like