T Nation

How's My Strongman/PLing Plan?

heres my workout plan fro strongman/powerlifting

day1: legs: front squats, olympic squats, deadlifts, leg curls/extensions, and lunges

Day 2: Bench press, standing militaries with barbell, seated arnold press, dumbbell laterals, front raises

dyy 3 : zercher squat, hex bar dead, rack pulls, pullups, dumbell rows, lat pulldown

day 4: standing miltaries again, seated dumbbell press, side laterals, front raises (shoulders are a weak point for me), barbell curls, preacher curls, and dumbbell curls

day 5: powerlifting stance squat, stiff leg deadlift, extensions, curls, lunges

day6: chest workout for that week, decline, and incline

day 7: close grip bench, floor press, tricep pushdown, dips(weighted) preacher curls, dumbbell curls seated curls

looks pretty retarded to me

Thats to much man, you cant do everything at once.

WS4SB is for you. Add in a stong man training day, instead of a second lower body day.

someone want to draw up a sample plan mind that legs and shoulders are my focus as they are my weakest, and so far ive been making good gains so the load isnt a problem plus i take glutamine for recovery

I dont know about you, but my hamstrings would be shut after all those deadlifts. I think your back would get messed up rather quick.

Bignate, Split your Squat and DL days. Work in a anterior/posterior fashion. Place some unilateral quad dominant movements on your Deadlift day and 1-2 post. chain movements like GHR, RDL, or for speed a Clean pull. Do 1-2 core movements per lower body training session throw in some calves and be done with it. I don’t mess around with a ton of volume on my lower body days, and I usually limit myself to 4-6 movements per session.

On upper days I’d keep my days on a Bench Focus and then Day 2 would be overhead and pull/chin focused. Throwing them all in together, if you’re working with heavier poundages, which I am assuming you are going to be, will cause you to over reach and eventually over train. I will say if it’s working right now then you might want to ride the wave, but if you’re starting to feel run down or beat up then take some time to reevaluate what you are doing.

[quote]bignate wrote:

day1: legs: front squats, olympic squats, deadlifts, leg curls/extensions, and lunges

Day 2: Bench press, standing militaries with barbell, seated arnold press, dumbbell laterals, front raises

dyy 3 : zercher squat, hex bar dead, rack pulls, pullups, dumbell rows, lat pulldown

day 4: standing miltaries again, seated dumbbell press, side laterals, front raises (shoulders are a weak point for me), barbell curls, preacher curls, and dumbbell curls

day 7: close grip bench, floor press, tricep pushdown, dips(weighted) preacher curls, dumbbell curls seated curls[/quote]

Dude, recovery? There is no possible way you are attacking the weights with enough intensity for 7 straight day, let alone 3 squatting sessions.

Keep it simple bud. Heck, I wouldn’t even try that when I was on!

Monday
Heavy pressing movement
supplemental pressing movement
tricep accessory
abs

Tuesday
Heavy Lower movement
supplemental movement (maybe an oly movement or strongman event?)
hamstring/hip work
low back work
abs

Wend
Off

Thursday
bodybuilder workout, hit any lagging body parts, or DE upper/lower day

Friday
Off

Saturday
These are always just a fun day for us. We do events, big lifts, whatever we FEEL like doing and have a good time training. It is ALWAYS heavy and hard however…

Sunday
You shouldn’t be able to move from Saturday

Monday
Repeat

Monopoly

[quote]Monopoly19 wrote:

Monday
Heavy pressing movement
tricep accessory
abs

Tuesday
Heavy Lower movement
hamstring/hip work
low back work
abs

Wend
Off

Thursday

Friday
Off

Saturday
These are always just a fun day for us. We do events, big lifts, whatever we FEEL like doing and have a good time training. It is ALWAYS heavy and hard however…

Sunday

Monday
Repeat

Monopoly[/quote]

thanks man that should help i think like the previous person said i will ride the wave till it crashes then i think ill switch to this, i am a teenageager so i seem to recover easily and i get 8+hours a sleep a night and on weekends 10+
thanks a bunch

[quote]Monopoly19 wrote:
bignate wrote:

day 7: close grip bench, floor press, tricep pushdown, dips(weighted) preacher curls, dumbbell curls seated curls

Dude, recovery? There is no possible way you are attacking the weights with enough intensity for 7 straight day, let alone 3 squatting sessions.

Keep it simple bud. Heck, I wouldn’t even try that when I was on!

Monday
Heavy pressing movement
tricep accessory
abs

Tuesday
Heavy Lower movement
hamstring/hip work
low back work
abs

Wend
Off

Thursday

Friday
Off

Saturday

Sunday

Monday
Repeat

Monopoly[/quote]

This is solid advice.

Just out of curiosity…

You introduced this thread by stating your program was designed for strongman/powerlifting, but I’ve seen no mention of any strongman event training anywhere. Is this something you want to become involved in at a future time, or are you currently involved in training heavy-events?

[quote]trainer_bill wrote:
Just out of curiosity…

You introduced this thread by stating your program was designed for strongman/powerlifting, but I’ve seen no mention of any strongman event training anywhere. Is this something you want to become involved in at a future time, or are you currently involved in training heavy-events?[/quote]

i currently do jerk presses and farmers carries once a week as they are the only equipment i have for strongman, in the future i hope to move somewhere where this would be available, im only a teen so im just trying to get as strong as i can, where abouts to live maybe you could advise on aplace, the paqxton power gym near me closed which would have been sweet because it was all strongman equipement let me know

go to www.marunde-muscle.com and ask for training groups

I would use a westside inspired split Day 1 Max Effort Bench repetition Overhead work assistance (triceps cuff shoulders etc…) Day 2 Max Effort Squat/Deadlift assistance (reverse hypers etc…) Day 3 Max Effort Overhead and repetition bench, assistance
Day 4 Back and Biceps Day 5 Dynamic Lower Cleans DE Squat Front Squat etc…

I’m in Kitchener Ontario, so I’m not familiar with any training groups in your area. Without doubt the biggest barriers to getting into the sport are access to equipment and finding a place to store and train with it.

The great thing about strongman however, is that you’ll find there’s a strong sense of camaraderie among the athletes in general, and most are pretty good about welcoming newcomers into the sport and helping them get started. So definitely do some checking and see if there is a group that trains close to you.

The reason I asked though, is because I wondered how you were fitting heavy-events into the rest of your weekly training schedule. If indeed you were currently training them.

Given your circumstances and objectives though, I’d agree the template suggested above is very good advice. It also leaves room for you to do a bit of strongman training on the Saturday with whatever you have access to.

I’ll add my voice to the others in counseling you to remember that recovery is key though. Whatever program you use is only going to be effective for as long as you are able to recover and progress from one cycle to the next. When and as you do incorporate additional strongman training, don’t forget to take into account the demands it will place on your body and strive to balance those within the rest of your program.

[quote]bignate wrote:
i currently do jerk presses and farmers carries once a week as they are the only equipment i have for strongman, in the future i hope to move somewhere where this would be available, im only a teen so im just trying to get as strong as i can, where abouts to live maybe you could advise on aplace, the paqxton power gym near me closed which would have been sweet because it was all strongman equipement let me know

[/quote]