T Nation

How's My Snatch?

Hey guys,

I’ve been reading a lot about olympic lifting and after watching Dan Johns video on how to snatch i decided to give it a try. Just wondering how my form is (i thought it looked alright but I could be wrong). Any tips you guys can offer would be awesome.

Thanks,
Troy.

Great job! Since you asked, here are a few things I notice:

-The bar needs to be closer to your body. It should stay roughly over the middle of your foot (as opposed to your toes) during pulls. This will keep the bar path more vertical.
-You aren’t bringing your hips through enough. The bar should lightly brush your upper thighs.
-You’re tending to jump backwards during the catch rather shuffling your feet outwards.

Get set up properly before you lift. Don’t rush it.

1. head up
  2. Stick your butt out in back. That will help keep your back straight
  3. chest up

You catch on your toes. When you “jump under” the bar, you should land on your heels.

TNT

Well I’m a perv, I thought this thread was about something else entirely…

[quote]MarvelGirl wrote:
Well I’m a perv, I thought this thread was about something else entirely…[/quote]

i didn’t think it was…but i hoped it was…darn.

[quote]MarvelGirl wrote:
Well I’m a perv, I thought this thread was about something else entirely…[/quote]

x2

i had the lube ready to rock and everything!

::blueballz::

Thanks a lot for the tips guys. and sorry to disappoint. but if you google snatch (as i did when looking for videos of technique) i think you’ll find what your looking for.

Tough to analyze a flash video, and I’m to lazy to convert to a format I could view frame by frame, but…

1. It looks like the bar is moving away from you during the 1st pull. It should be moving slightly towards you until you clear the knees
  2. You’re not even close to full extension.

I recommend you get a real OL coach, (at least for a few sessions). It’s easy to engrain incorrect movement patterns, and very hard to correct them.

Thanks for the advice. I would like to get a coach but dont know where to find one. Any ideas? I live in Victoria BC Canada

looks okay to me. keep your butt low, and your back tight. on your first snatch, your back looked very loose. also it looks like your hips are ascending earlier than the bar, try to move up your hips and shoulders at the same time as the bar.

on the second pull, explode with your hips as the bar reaches your thighs, and then really accentuate the shrug. keep your knuckles down the entire time the bar is accelerating up (this prevents it from looping) until you turn over.

make sure to check your set position is right the entire lift (knuckles down, shoulder over the bar, etc).

really good that youre getting into oly lifting! :slight_smile:

[quote]Troyappleton wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I would like to get a coach but dont know where to find one. Any ideas? I live in Victoria BC Canada[/quote]

Go to http://www.goheavy.org/
When there, go into the Olympic Weightlifting forum and ask if there is a weightlifting coach near you. Many of the top coaches and lifters frequent that forum. I am going to be surprised if you don’t find a coach near you.

The first thing I’d focus on is differentiating the first and second pull. In Dan John’s book, he mentions where he has his students go through the first pull slowly, keeping the back at the same angle to the ground, until the bar clears the knees. The starts the second pull

The second pull you explode up, pulling through the hips and with the traps. But you already know that. It just looked like you were starting the pull too early (like… almost right off the floor, except on the third one).

Also, learn to catch lower. Only way to do this is to practice getting under the bar. Start with light weights, and always work the technique.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
MarvelGirl wrote:
Well I’m a perv, I thought this thread was about something else entirely…

x2

i had the lube ready to rock and everything!

::blueballz::[/quote]

This thread should have been over in t-vixen and started by cheetah.

[quote]Troyappleton wrote:
Hey guys,

I’ve been reading a lot about olympic lifting and after watching Dan Johns video on how to snatch
Troy.[/quote]

Could you please give a link to those video’s?
Thanks.

[quote]entheogens wrote:
Troyappleton wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I would like to get a coach but dont know where to find one. Any ideas? I live in Victoria BC Canada

When there, go into the Olympic Weightlifting forum and ask if there is a weightlifting coach near you. Many of the top coaches and lifters frequent that forum. I am going to be surprised if you don’t find a coach near you.
[/quote]
Face palm. That forum is a joke. Either they bitch about Casey Burgener or how the rest of the world is on drugs making us unable to compete. Weightlifting Exchange has by far more substance.

Lol this thread reminds me of the time one of our weightlifting coaches walked into the gym and loudly asked a female lifter how her snatch was.

The stories of the stiffled laughs that day will live for a long time in the gym.

[quote]redivote wrote:
Troyappleton wrote:
Hey guys,

I’ve been reading a lot about olympic lifting and after watching Dan Johns video on how to snatch
Troy.

Could you please give a link to those video’s?
Thanks.

[/quote]

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6529481301858251744

get in touch with the BC Federation head. He`ll point you in the right direction, thats how I found my club in vancouver. Unforunately for us though, weightlifting is not very popular in Canada and clubs are far and few in between.

[quote]elih8er wrote:
entheogens wrote:
Troyappleton wrote:

Face palm. That forum is a joke. Either they bitch about Casey Burgener or how the rest of the world is on drugs making us unable to compete. Weightlifting Exchange has by far more substance.[/quote]

So true, so very true…