How's My Diet for Lean Muscle Gains?

Also take out the Pre-workout.

This. I listen to newer stuff (metal i mean) but Blasting heavy metal is the best preworkout. It’s also the best intraworkout supplement too.

1 Like

Great post!

That’s true, I could just use PWO for days where I only had 5 hours of sleep or less which happens sometimes once in a while.

Heavy metal is a really effective PWO lol. I listen to it in every workout.

Do you get in the zone when training? By that i mean you’re so focused on your training that you don’t notice what other people are doing around you, you just shut it all out and nothing matters but you and the weights. When i train i get in the zone so much so, that if someone talks to me it will take 10 seconds for me to snap out of it and respond to them. If you’re able to get in the zone you won’t need pwo

What people? Lol. Yeah I’m usually like that especially when I got heavy metal playing, good night sleep, and PWOs. Today I had a minimal heavy weight workout, didn’t really notice anybody, just super focused on my workout. The only thing that will distract me will be some hot gym chick that I got a crush on or a friend trying to chat, I usually can’t talk much in between sets. I’m out of breath sort of after a set. However some days I do feel so tired and weak from little sleep or stressful day, etc. PWOs helps but still not enough to help me through bad sleep or stress.

1 Like

I meal prep for 2 meals a day and cook the rest. I’m pretty basic and boring with my meal prep meals. I’ll boil chicken breast or cook ground turkey or beef in a pan. Cook rice and put it together. I’ll use condiments (hot sauce, mustard, ketchup, whatever) to help get it down. The other meals are pretty basic too but they’re fresh lol.

1 Like

If it helps but it’s still not enough then you can definitely skip it entirely and save your money.

1 Like

I like the six star brand works for me

I been writing up a meal plan in which I can meal prep lunch and dinner while I just make everything else in the morning or after work. How is this so far? I don’t know what to have as a snack after lunch and I don’t know any good and easy to make beef recipes other than burgers, but I’m sick of burgers for now. My goal is to go for 3000 calories (40% protein / 40% carbs / 20% fat ideally).

Breakfast (Before Workout):

• 3 Large Whole Eggs w/ Chopped Veggies
  • 1/2 cup of Oatmeal w/ 1 tbsp of Raw Honey, handful of almonds, and berries

Post-Workout (Smoothie):

• 2 scoops of whey protein
  • carbo gain 1/2 cup (maltodextrin 240 calories)
  • Banana
  • 1 cup of Almond Milk
  • Apple

Lunch:

• Chicken Breast with Spices
  • Jasmine/Brown Rice cooked in beef broth, mushrooms, and onions
  • Broccoli

Snack:

• No idea… Protein Pancakes?

Dinner:

• Beef with chopped peppers, onions, and mushrooms
  • Spices
  • Asparagus?
  • Chopped Sweet Potatoes baked

I don’t know what all that totals out to but as a snack you can do whatever you want really. I would make it light and easily digestible if possible. If you can have milk, go with some Greek yogurt and granola or some cottage cheese and fruit.

Still doesn’t look like a lot of food but as long as you keep track and ensure you get enough you’ll be fine.

Edit: never mind, read the post workout shake wrong.

How soon after bfast do you hit the gym?

How close is this to your workout? And at what time in the day do you work out?

You ideally want malto in your pre-workout or intra-workout shake.

Keep the banana, but omit the apple. Your just giving your liver a bunch of fructose, which won’t go toward restoring your muscle glycogen.

Sounds good.

You don’t have to be so restrictive with your veggies. Cycle 'em, get whatever is cheap and have a bunch of it.

I usually get to the gym asp after breakfast, I get ready and leave. It takes about 10 minutes to get there from my home. So about 15-25 minutes at the most after breakfast.

I get up at 6am, take shower, make breakfast and eat, so usually by 7:30am, I will be leaving to go to gym. Just figure I workout at 8am six days a week.

Okay, I could change the post workout shake to 1 scoop of protein powder instead and remove the malto, then have a malto shake with 1 scoop of protein powder before my workout.

Eat the apple later in the day? Gotta have some fiber to shit lol…plus apples are good for ya!

I do cycle with veggies, there’s frozen veggies like carrots, green veggies, hashbrowns, and sometimes I cycle between white potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Why not, I usually have both in a day.

That’s a very big meal to have that close to your workout. Is it giving you any problems? You might want to either space it further away from your workout or have less fats and fiber.

I haven’t had any issues. I’ve been eating eggs and oatmeal for breakfast for a long time. Ideally, I would like to eat less but I got 4-5 meals to eat and when working from 9 to 5 (usually), that can make it harder.

If it were me, I’d flip this a bit. Since you’re working out so close to after finishing breakfast, I would try this:

Breakfast/pre-workout:
About half of your “post work out shake” here when you wake up.

Workout

Breakfast/post-workout:
Eggs, oatmeal, fruit, and the second half of your “post workout shake”.

2 Likes

Then you haven’t digested all of that, at all.

I also work out in the AM, and I don’t have a solid meal beforehand and just keep to liquid nutritients at that time and have my first real meal of the day after my workout.

Why shower before hitting the gym?

Aim to get around 40g of protein in your post-workout meal.

That’s fine. But if you are eating enough veggies then you should be getting enough fiber. 10 cups a day is a good rule of thumb if you are from the land of the free. Personally, I started with the recommendation in @danteism’s log which is your bodyweight in kilos divided by a 100, so if you are 150 lbs then that becomes roughly => 680 grams. I eat more though, for satiety.

And will all of those oats, certainly, you are getting a lot of fiber!

Good.

Seconded. And more fats than are necessary. I mean, it’s so not a dealbreaker, it’s just different from how I’d design it. But then again, don’t have a meal before the gym so I don’t have a wealth of knowledge to go on. If I were to eat beforehand I’d want to get the meal in at 90-60 minutes before, and probably run some lean meat, carbs, small amount of veggies and more carbs. Small amount of fat.

You don’t have to get a set amount of meals in, you just need to get your calories and macros.

@antiquity’s idea is good! That flip pans out pretty well but I’d have the entire malto allowance in the pre-workout. And I’d start drinking the shake about 15 minutes before the workout, about half-way, fill it back up with water and continue drinking during my workout.

1 Like

@antiquity I will try that out. That sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the tip.

I will try flipping it around as @antiquity stated above.

Uh, it’s a matter of preference I guess? I don’t want to be the stinky guy with serious BO at the gym lol. I don’t sweat easily or smell after a workout, I just wash up after gym.

What’s your full day meal plan typically like?

Right, I just need the calories but it’s hard to eat a lot in one setting depending on what you’re eating.