How'd Lil Wayne Get Famous, Again?

Because he’s good.

You cant deny his ability, he can take any beat or song and absolutely murder it. The stuff you hear on the radio is Lil Wayne’s worst rapping for the most part IMO.

[quote]John E. Dangler wrote:
You cant deny his ability, he can take any beat or song and absolutely murder it. The stuff you hear on the radio is Lil Wayne’s worst rapping for the most part IMO.[/quote]

I agree with the posts spanning from Larry David and down.

I especially agree with this post. Wayne takes mediocre rap songs, grabs the beat, and kills it. Supposedly he doesn’t write any of his lyrics down either, which is ridiculous.

Lil Wayne’s been around for a while, remember the Hot Boyz(Cash Money)?
I’m surprised…

I’m also glad because there should be “Death of the Autotune”(thanks Jay-z).
That shit makes my ears bleed.

My momma say tuck yo chain son they’ll take it

I hit her with one of those stale faces like

Iâ??ll be damned momma they know who I am momma

I’m still yo little boy but to them I’m the man momma

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:

What songs are we talking about because I can sing lines from most Lil Wayne songs when they come on. Plus the ones I listed don’t have that T-Pain synthesizer shit that we here in some Wayne songs.

I’d also like to say that it did take me a while to get used to some songs that are my favorites now which became my favorites because I kept listening to them and I grew to like them a lot, and that goes for my like of Lil Wayne as a rapper as well. It took time to get used to him and now he is one of my top 3 favorite rappers, and probably number one out of those three.[/quote]

I just can’t get used to his voice. I have heard him enough thanks to people I know, but I just can’t seem to like how he raps. To each his own though.

He started off with Cash Money back in '98 I think. First Juvenile came out with his album. Then Wayne was on BG’s “Bling Bling” track (yes that’s when everyone started saying it). After that he came out with his own album. I think it was The Block is Hot.

sounds like Big Bird and looks like Whoopie Goldberg

^ Lil Wayne’s short lived acting career

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
Supposedly he doesn’t write any of his lyrics down either, which is ridiculous.[/quote]

This not writing shit down is another thing that pisses me off about these posers. There’s more and more artisits coming out claiming they don’t write their lyrics down trying to get a rep like Big,Jay and Pun. How do you know what he does behind closed doors in a studio?

“I read it on the internet, it must be true”

By the time it comes to record a song you better have your verses memorised. That doesn’t mean he freestyles all his shit. The punk bitch can’t tell the truth about using ghost writers let alone wether or not he writes his lyrics down. Maybe that’s why he was a better rapper 5 years ago, he actually put time and effort into his raps.

Weak minds believing weak shit from weak rappers that’s what that is.

When are you guys going to understand its all image for marketing’s sake? I suppose you think these gangsta rappers are still hanging on the block puttin in work eh?

Please.

I can understand people not liking wayne he is a little bit of an aquired taste i would say (im talking mixtapes of course) but for what he does he does it better than anyone else.

I dont know how OP could say that Drake is better, he is just not on the same level in terms of rhyming and any complaint that posters in this thread have made about wayne could be said about drake too or almost any mainsteam hip-hop artist today (yes i know im calling drake mainstream but he seems to be pretty popular right now).

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
I remember the exact song.

It was Lollipop. That was what actually started the barrage of pop songs he puts out and that’s when everyone started hearing about him.

At least that’s what I think.[/quote]

Yikes…Lil Wayne was huge way before Lollipop came out…

2005 is when Lil wayne had his first very mainstream solo song (Fireman). Prior to this he had been featured in songs by T.I. and even Destiny’s Child. He started rapping professionally at the age of 15…What were you doing at the age of 15??? For the past few years he has released a mixtape every single month with brand new songs each and every time.

At the end of 2007 Lil Wayne had earned these distinctions:
-An MTV poll selected Lil Wayne as “Hottest MC in the Game”
-The New Yorker magazine ranked him “Rapper of the Year”
-GQ magazine named him “Workaholic of the Year”
And then in 2008
-He was named “Best Rock Star Alive” by Blender magazine
-“Best MC” by Rolling Stone

The Carter III which is what the song Lollipop was one was released in June of 08. If you thought that this was the song that made Lil Wayne big then you need to get out of the cellar and turn on any radio station

[quote]skyel7 wrote:
I’m also glad because there should be “Death of the Autotune”(thanks Jay-z).
That shit makes my ears bleed.[/quote]

song of the year already, he is pretty much on point that whole song about everything

also you dont want beef with the ROC(boondocks reference)

I like weezy when he drops an ill verse(i.e. we taken over, kobe bryant, i feel like dying, prostitute flange and that michael phelps song) or hook, otherwise I don’t listen to him

Slaughterhouse, Wu-tang Clan, Jay-z, Ice Cube, D-block, Young Jeezy and Z-ro are pretty much the only rappers I bother checking new music for was a game fan until lax dropped

btw on a side note saw Ghostface Killah last week, the gig was terrible, wasnt his fault the venue was shit and we couldn’t hear shit only distorted bass where we were it actually made me feel a little sick that I had been waiting too see one of my favourite rappers and couldnt hear what he was rapping, the venue left me feeling real greasy(annoyed) when I left, the odd thing was he started doing some GZA and ol dirty songs which I found a bit odd considering how extensive his catalogue is

We have a Lil Wayne hate thread once a month. Much of his music sucks; a good amount of his tracks are actually very good. There are much less skillful rappers making bank.

Also, he has been making records for TEN years. Just because you just now heard him on the radio doesn’t mean anything.

Also, I have this theory. Any rapper with a really unique voice/sound makes it big.
Examples:
Lil Wayne
Busta Rhymes
E40
Rick Ross

I like all of those artists, but it’s partially because their voices sound so unique.

[quote]DOHCrazy wrote:
Well put.

Seems like it’s always the people who aren’t making millions who are hating on him.

And don’t say money isn’t everything; it is, we just don’t tell the poor people that so they don’t start a riot.

[/quote]

So, using that logic, shouldn’t I hate EVERYONE who makes millions?

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
He got famous because every 14-16 year old thinks he’s cool. At that age, nobody has music taste, so they just listen to whoever they think is cool. I work with a lot of teenage athlete and all I’ve been hearing about is how they’re going to see Weezy in 2 weeks. So say whatever you want about him (and I personally think he’s as mediocre as the rest of the Hot Boys), but dude’s got the image locked down.

But he’ll get hated on by everybody who will keep shouting the same tired line about how Immortal Technique is “real hip hop,” like that really even means anything.[/quote]

Speaking of that… I am not a fan of Immortal Technique. If I want to get knowledge, I read a book. I don’t listen to rap. Especially, rap about some obscure, fucking weird, racist conspiracy theories.

I listened to some Wayne “freestyles” (pre-written) on youtube. He’s actually pretty good as a rapper. Yes, some lines are nonsensical, but good flow. I guess that particular live was bad, and so is his rapping on the new tracks.

Does no one remember the Hot Boys album and hit in the 90’s? The single was called ‘we on fire’ i thought it was sick, but I was 13 so who knows.

Lil Wayne was good back then. And he didn’t exaggerate the nasally and raspy parts of his voice, so he was much less annoying. He found a formula that sells with lollipop and songs like that and we will never see the “good” lil wayne again.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I was told, “man, have you heard that L’il Wayne? That N**** is tha troof!” from one dude whose taste in music I will forever hold suspect.

The current crop of rap artists aren’t exactly revolutionary. I heard more I like from the new Method Man / Red Man collaboration than from L’Il Wayne…but then, I like people who say more than nursery rhymes to a beat.[/quote]

Why the fuck is there so much hate for Lil’ Wayne around here?

The funny thing is, is most people don’t realize he’s been doing this shit since he was like 11 years old, lol! Dude’s been around the game MUCH longer than many, many, many big rappers today.

[quote]stockzy wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:
Supposedly he doesn’t write any of his lyrics down either, which is ridiculous.

This not writing shit down is another thing that pisses me off about these posers. There’s more and more artisits coming out claiming they don’t write their lyrics down trying to get a rep like Big,Jay and Pun. How do you know what he does behind closed doors in a studio?
“I read it on the internet, it must be true”
By the time it comes to record a song you better have your verses memorised. That doesn’t mean he freestyles all his shit. The punk bitch can’t tell the truth about using ghost writers let alone wether or not he writes his lyrics down. Maybe that’s why he was a better rapper 5 years ago, he actually put time and effort into his raps.
Weak minds believing weak shit from weak rappers that’s what that is.
When are you guys going to understand its all image for marketing’s sake? I suppose you think these gangsta rappers are still hanging on the block puttin in work eh?
Please.[/quote]

When the hell did not writing down lines automatically mean freestyling? You can keep lines in your head. Rapper’s do “freestyles” on radio and television shows, and then you see the lines end up in a future song of theirs. Lines written down, no. Lines memorized in their heads, yes.

And where is your proof that Biggie and Jay-Z don’t write down their lines? Have YOU been in the studio with them? I believe them, but I didn’t need proof. To me it doesn’t seem like much of a boast to memorize lines in your head instead of writing them down, so why lie about it?

And you need to get over that “its all image for marketing’s sake” whining. Who the fuck cares? If you’re putting out quality music, I could care less if the image is real or fake. Grow up, seriously.

Alright, I really hate debating what’s good and what’s bad in the hip hop/rap world because I’m biased towards early/mid nineties hip hop era. A lot after that is watered down crap. Now I’m a fan of Mos Def/Common/Lupe Fiasco type of stuff.

I had a friend in the Air Force who swore that lil wayne was the second coming. He used to play his shit all the time and to be honest, he’s ok. That’s it, just ok. His pop songs are just that, pop songs. They’re meant to appeal to a larger market than his underground/mixtape stuff which is where he “shines”. The dude can freestyle, and his mixtapes are tolerable. But anything other than that is like coca-cola classic, the formula hasn’t changed since the 19th century and it’ll continue to be the same while it continues to sell.

Any other discussion beyond that is strictly opinion. I do know this, I’ll never waste money on his stuff, but that’s just me.