How'd Lil Wayne Get Famous, Again?

Saw the BET award deal with him and Drake. Drake is actually a pretty good rapper/singer, but has no personality to speak of. Wayne, though, is something else.

How’d this preening gremlin go platinum? Who bought his records? Not only is every track of his I heard garbage, but that live performance was pure ass. I think I also heard him pull out a few words out of thin air.

Didn’t he also beef with Clipse a few years back? Not exactly an even match.

I remember the exact song.

It was Lollipop. That was what actually started the barrage of pop songs he puts out and that’s when everyone started hearing about him.

At least that’s what I think.

…Isn’t he the guy who writes on his sunglasses?

I was told, “man, have you heard that L’il Wayne? That N**** is tha troof!” from one dude whose taste in music I will forever hold suspect.

The current crop of rap artists aren’t exactly revolutionary. I heard more I like from the new Method Man / Red Man collaboration than from L’Il Wayne…but then, I like people who say more than nursery rhymes to a beat.

-_-

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I was told, “man, have you heard that L’il Wayne? That N**** is tha troof!” from one dude whose taste in music I will forever hold suspect.

The current crop of rap artists aren’t exactly revolutionary. I heard more I like from the new Method Man / Red Man collaboration than from L’Il Wayne…but then, I like people who say more than nursery rhymes to a beat.[/quote]

I got into an argument with someone that said that lil wayne (I refuse to capitalize his name) puts B.I.G to shame…

uh Syrup? seriously though, i used to hate on Wayne for putting out lame/garbage pop rap music but after looking past and checking out some of his better songs that are actually quite lyrically impressive, i consider him at least in the top 10 RIGHT NOW.

And Prof, is Blackout2 actually as good as it was thought to be? I was at the record store and had to choose between Relapse and BO2 and chose Relapse. I can’t wait for the Nas and Damien Marley collaboration though, and Jay-z is putting out new material this year as well as Relapse 2 from Em.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
I remember the exact song.

It was Lollipop. That was what actually started the barrage of pop songs he puts out and that’s when everyone started hearing about him.

At least that’s what I think.[/quote]

Not really, he actually had his breakthrough in 2005 with “fireman” when Houston and the South in general started reigning the rap scene.
I’d say he started to get crappy when he switched to pop but my point is that he was very well known and DID live up to the title “best rapper alive” before that.

his breakthrough was pretty much when he featured on destinies child - soulja song with t.i, around the same time the 50/jarule beef was coming to the end

Fucking wrote a decent size post and than hit reset and lost it…

Anyways to summerize.

Besides Lil Waynes, Lollipop, and A milli’ and songs like that, the man is deffinitely talented. The only place I really see him hated on are internet forums and most of the time an artist such as Immortal Technique, is braught up as someone better.

The truth is Lil Wayne’s mixtapes have some genious lyrics, and the man himself is making millions off his supposed “shit” music. So I can also make another argument that he is apparently very very smart if he is able to sell “shit,” for millions.

However opposed from the mainstream garbage, (although I do like the song Every Girl) that we hear everyday, his mixtapes are filled with good songs.

Some of my favorite that actually have some thought out rhymes and are absolutely great songs to bumb to include, Hardbody, How You Like me Now, N.O N***a, Best Rapper Alive, Go Dj, Sky the Limit, New Orleans Maniac, Clifornia Girl, My Best Friend Money, Pussy MVP, Forever, Something you forgot, Alphabet Bitches, and many others.

Now I can sit around listening to some depressing shit from Immortal Tech, or some racist shit towards white people spewing from Commons mouth or I can get pumped up listening to Wayne, who honestly doesn’t give a fuck.

Now I do like a lot of others rappers who would recieve much more respect around here. Anyone from the Wu-Tang Clan, B.i.g., Jay, Dr. Dre, Lupe Fiasco, Pac, Big L, and many others just too many to name. Point is Wayne deserves respect and if you don’t like his stuff I can find 100 people, in real life of course because the internet is just filled with Lil Wayne haters, for everyone one person that doesn’t.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:

Anyways to summerize.

Besides Lil Waynes, Lollipop, and A milli’ and songs like that, the man is deffinitely talented. The only place I really see him hated on are internet forums and most of the time an artist such as Immortal Technique, is braught up as someone better.

The truth is Lil Wayne’s mixtapes have some genious lyrics, and the man himself is making millions off his supposed “shit” music. So I can also make another argument that he is apparently very very smart if he is able to sell “shit,” for millions.

However opposed from the mainstream garbage, (although I do like the song Every Girl) that we hear everyday, his mixtapes are filled with good songs.

Some of my favorite that actually have some thought out rhymes and are absolutely great songs to bumb to include, Hardbody, How You Like me Now, N.O N***a, Best Rapper Alive, Go Dj, Sky the Limit, New Orleans Maniac, Clifornia Girl, My Best Friend Money, Pussy MVP, Forever, Something you forgot, Alphabet Bitches, and many others.

Now I can sit around listening to some depressing shit from Immortal Tech, or some racist shit towards white people spewing from Commons mouth or I can get pumped up listening to Wayne, who honestly doesn’t give a fuck.

Now I do like a lot of others rappers who would recieve much more respect around here. Anyone from the Wu-Tang Clan, B.i.g., Jay, Dr. Dre, Lupe Fiasco, Pac, Big L, and many others just too many to name. Point is Wayne deserves respect and if you don’t like his stuff I can find 100 people, in real life of course because the internet is just filled with Lil Wayne haters, for everyone one person that doesn’t.[/quote]

Well put.

Seems like it’s always the people who aren’t making millions who are hating on him.

And don’t say money isn’t everything; it is, we just don’t tell the poor people that so they don’t start a riot.

He got famous because every 14-16 year old thinks he’s cool. At that age, nobody has music taste, so they just listen to whoever they think is cool. I work with a lot of teenage athlete and all I’ve been hearing about is how they’re going to see Weezy in 2 weeks. So say whatever you want about him (and I personally think he’s as mediocre as the rest of the Hot Boys), but dude’s got the image locked down.

But he’ll get hated on by everybody who will keep shouting the same tired line about how Immortal Technique is “real hip hop,” like that really even means anything.

[quote]Mikaj wrote:
…Isn’t he the guy who writes on his sunglasses?[/quote]

No no no that is Soulja Boy…

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
He got famous because every 14-16 year old thinks he’s cool. At that age, nobody has music taste, so they just listen to whoever they think is cool. I work with a lot of teenage athlete and all I’ve been hearing about is how they’re going to see Weezy in 2 weeks. So say whatever you want about him (and I personally think he’s as mediocre as the rest of the Hot Boys), but dude’s got the image locked down.

But he’ll get hated on by everybody who will keep shouting the same tired line about how Immortal Technique is “real hip hop,” like that really even means anything.[/quote]

I’ll actually be going to that concert haha.

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
Mikaj wrote:
…Isn’t he the guy who writes on his sunglasses?

No no no that is Soulja Boy…[/quote]

There’s a difference?

All that pop-rap is pretty indistinguishable.

Some poeple start threads to see just how many people will respond to it. The more responses the better the thread yeah?

Some poeple make music (sic) to see just how man people buy it. The more poeple that buy it the better the song yeah?

Lil Payne is a rap artist, HE IS NOT a hip hop artist. Get the distinction right and everyone is happy.

Anyways to summerize.

Now I do like a lot of others rappers who would recieve much more respect around here. Anyone from the Wu-Tang Clan, B.i.g., Jay, Dr. Dre, Lupe Fiasco, Pac, Big L, and many others just too many to name. Point is Wayne deserves respect and if you don’t like his stuff I can find 100 people, in real life of course because the internet is just filled with Lil Wayne haters, for everyone one person that doesn’t.[/quote]

The main reason I dislike his music and songs is because of how he sounds. I don’t care if he is a lyrical genius in some of his songs. If I can’t listen to his voice, I can’t listen to his songs.

Kobe Bryant the song by lil wayne is pretty sick. Yes lil wayne is pretty sick rapper but he’s not better than Eminem, The Game, Snoop Dogg to name a few.

[/quote]

Good post anyway. And here I thought I was the only person here who didn’t hate him :D.

For the record, people who are tracing his popularity back to Lollipop are mistaken. The guy was a pretty popular rapper (relatively) years before that, and a flood of mixtapes and guest verses helped take that popularity further. There’s much more substance to his rise than one pop song. And his mixtapes are amazing, or at least they used to be. And I think that Tha Carter 3 was one of the best albums of last year.

With Lil Wayne you listen for a flow, weird wordplay and rhymes. Not for amateur sociology, not for conventional rapping. You don’t get to be the biggest rapper in the world without having SOMETHING to offer.

If you’re looking for some mixtapes, you can’t go wrong with Da Drought 3, Dedication, Dedication 2, and The Drought is Over 2.

Here are some good songs to get started:
Dough Is What I Got--Lil Wayne--Da Drought 3 - YouTube Show me what you got remix
Lil Wayne & Pharell - Yes - YouTube - Yes (with Pharrell),one of the weirder beats I’be heard, bass heavy
- YouTube Sportcentre, skip to 30 seconds in
Swizzy--Lil Wayne--Da Drought 3 - YouTube -Swizzy
Lil' Wayne- Upgrade U Freestyle - YouTube -Upgrade U
Lil Wayne -Live From Tha 504 (Da Drought 3) - YouTube -Live From Tha 504

Let’s not be close-minded about what makes a good rapper, cause that kind of attitude sells Asher Roth records. Other rappers, critics and many fans seem to like him, that’s gotta mean something.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:

Anyways to summerize.

Now I do like a lot of others rappers who would recieve much more respect around here. Anyone from the Wu-Tang Clan, B.i.g., Jay, Dr. Dre, Lupe Fiasco, Pac, Big L, and many others just too many to name. Point is Wayne deserves respect and if you don’t like his stuff I can find 100 people, in real life of course because the internet is just filled with Lil Wayne haters, for everyone one person that doesn’t.

The main reason I dislike his music and songs is because of how he sounds. I don’t care if he is a lyrical genius in some of his songs. If I can’t listen to his voice, I can’t listen to his songs.[/quote]

What songs are we talking about because I can sing lines from most Lil Wayne songs when they come on. Plus the ones I listed don’t have that T-Pain synthesizer shit that we here in some Wayne songs.

I’d also like to say that it did take me a while to get used to some songs that are my favorites now which became my favorites because I kept listening to them and I grew to like them a lot, and that goes for my like of Lil Wayne as a rapper as well. It took time to get used to him and now he is one of my top 3 favorite rappers, and probably number one out of those three.