Howard Prechtel Bulking Routine

From issue #35 (March 1995) of Hardgainer there is an interesting article by John McKean outlining USAWA President Howard Prechtel’s 1 year bulking routine. In his late 30’s Howard underwent a bulking routine in which he built up from bodyweight of 217# to nearly 300# at 5’10", utilizing two exercises per session performed 3 times/week:

Warm-up - MP Press: Med. weight barbell x 10 quick reps.

DB Press: 115# db’s for 5 sets x 5 reps

Warm-up - Regular squat: 315x10
Partial (21") Squat in the rack: 750#x5x2

Diet consisted of his regular 3 meals/day plus a “Secret Ingredient”.

That’s it. He NEVER missed a workout session but he also made adjustments in reps depending on his energy level - sometimes pressing for 5x2 instead of 5x5. His loading was enough to stimulate but never worked himself to fatigue or failure.

Every 5 or 6 weeks he would try for a record eventualy achieving a combined db press of 292#. Cold and in street clothes, in front of many witnesses he cleaned and pressed a barbell for 220x5, 255x4, 275x2, while shouldering the weight he had 2 10# plates put on and pressed 295, then repeated with 2 5# plates - overhead pressing 305.

Occasionally, when feeling good, he would load up 850 and perform the partial squats for 5x2, a few times with 900x5x2 and even 1000 in front of a room full of witnesses. One time, cold and in street clothes and no supportive gear he squatted (competition depth) for 515x5 and then 615 for a deep easy double.

Oh yeah, on his off days he was involved in a boxing program. He never stuffed himself with food, and didn’t eat much meat - just 3 “square” meals/day.

The secret ingredient? 7 lbs of bananas per day!

[quote]SamsonsSon wrote:
From issue #35 (March 1995) of Hardgainer there is an interesting article by John McKean outlining USAWA President Howard Prechtel’s 1 year bulking routine. In his late 30’s Howard underwent a bulking routine in which he built up from bodyweight of 217# to nearly 300# at 5’10", utilizing two exercises per session performed 3 times/week:

Warm-up - MP Press: Med. weight barbell x 10 quick reps.

DB Press: 115# db’s for 5 sets x 5 reps

Warm-up - Regular squat: 315x10
Partial (21") Squat in the rack: 750#x5x2

Diet consisted of his regular 3 meals/day plus a “Secret Ingredient”.

That’s it. He NEVER missed a workout session but he also made adjustments in reps depending on his energy level - sometimes pressing for 5x2 instead of 5x5. His loading was enough to stimulate but never worked himself to fatigue or failure.

Every 5 or 6 weeks he would try for a record eventualy achieving a combined db press of 292#. Cold and in street clothes, in front of many witnesses he cleaned and pressed a barbell for 220x5, 255x4, 275x2, while shouldering the weight he had 2 10# plates put on and pressed 295, then repeated with 2 5# plates - overhead pressing 305.

Occasionally, when feeling good, he would load up 850 and perform the partial squats for 5x2, a few times with 900x5x2 and even 1000 in front of a room full of witnesses. One time, cold and in street clothes and no supportive gear he squatted (competition depth) for 515x5 and then 615 for a deep easy double.

Oh yeah, on his off days he was involved in a boxing program. He never stuffed himself with food, and didn’t eat much meat - just 3 “square” meals/day.

The secret ingredient? 7 lbs of bananas per day![/quote]

That’s prety interesting, but I have to tell you, 7lbs. of bananas a day NO WAY!!!

I’d be puking, craping, and sweating banana!!!

Plus wouldn’t you be sick of bananas after 2 days?

While I would never even try to eat 7lbs ob bananas, I have to say that they are very useful when bulking.
You only need milk and bananas, you mix it and you can drink that after training (like a meal replacement).

I think that this would be better than just bananas:)

[quote]SamsonsSon wrote:
The secret ingredient? 7 lbs of bananas per day![/quote]

7 lbs of bananas per day! Is this serious? Even if you could stomach it, think of all the potassium!

Yes - I pretty much quoted the aricle verbatim and I agree with your comments. I tried buying and eating a few bunches of bananas and indeed did get sick of them after a few days, not to mention for me, personally, way too much sugar and didn’t set well with my digestive system.

Nevertheless, if you can stomach them, you certainly can’t argue with Mr. Prechtel’s results! I believe the key was the “abbreviated” workouts done consistently over a long period, while the bananas served as the source for extra calories - it is probable that one could get similar results by replacing the bananas with other nutritious foods.