T Nation

Howard Dean

Folks

What is everyone’s opinion on Howard Dean?

Is he an asset or hinderance to the Democratic Party as they try to appeal to the “flyover states”?

How does he compare to previous DNC chairs such as McCauliffe and Rendell.

I posted the article below from the Wash Post about some remarks he made, fairly inciting. The paper also noted these remarks as being “unusually caustic”, which I don’t believe is accurate.

Thoughts or comments?

A Scathing Chairman Dean Finds Republicans ‘Evil,’ ‘Corrupt’ and ‘Brain-Dead’

By Brian Faler

Monday, April 25, 2005

Howard Dean may not be running for anything, but his elbows appear to be as sharp as ever.

Since taking over as chairman of the Democratic National Committee earlier this year, the former presidential candidate has been quoted in newspapers making unusually caustic remarks about Republicans.

Dean has suggested that they are “evil.” That they are “corrupt.” He called them “brain-dead” during a stop in Toronto – and while the Terri Schiavo case was still in the news. He has tagged Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.) as a “liar.” Last week, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported that he mimicked a “drug-snorting Rush Limbaugh” at an event there.

Dean was noted for his candid and often unpredictable comments during his campaign last year. Then, as now, many Democrats said they don’t mind the former Vermont governor’s bluntness.

“You don’t want a wallflower for a party chairman,” one Senate Democratic aide said. Dean’s remarks have not attracted much attention in the national media, in part because he has focused largely on local and regional news outlets since taking the party’s helm in February.

But his counterparts in the Republican National Committee have noticed. “It’s odd that Howard Dean says he wants to earn the respect of those who live in the red states, but chooses to not only attack their views but attack them personally,” RNC spokeswoman Tracey Schmitt said. “Americans want to hear an agenda, rather than name calling.”

Weld for Governor? But New York This Time

Former Massachusetts governor William F. Weld has had discussions with New York Republican officials about a possible run for governor or the U.S. Senate next year in the state where he has lived since 2000, a top GOP official told the Associated Press yesterday.

The party official, speaking to the AP on the condition of anonymity, said there have been staff-level discussions between the two camps and direct conversations between at least one other top GOP official and Weld.

The primary interest is in Weld running for governor, the source said.

The talks between Weld and New York Republican officials were first reported yesterday by New York magazine in the issue of the weekly that hits newsstands today.

There was no immediate comment from Weld, a New York native.

State GOP Chairman Stephen J. Minarik III said that he had not met with Weld about running for statewide office in 2006 and would not comment further.

There has been much speculation in New York political circles that Gov. George E. Pataki ® will not seek a fourth term and instead has his eyes set on a possible run for the 2008 GOP presidential nomination. State Attorney General Eliot L. Spitzer (D) has announced that he is running for governor.

Without Pataki, some Republican leaders have expressed concern that the party lacks a big-name contender to take on Spitzer. Earlier this month, Rudolph W. Giuliani’s top political aide said the former New York City mayor is too busy with business interests to run for governor or the Senate next year.

Weld was elected governor of Massachusetts in 1990 and easily reelected in 1994. He was defeated in a 1996 U.S. Senate race by Democratic incumbent John F. Kerry.

As discussed earlier, I think Dean is the wrong man to lead the Democrats away from political wilderness.

What the Democrats need is a legitimate populist who can drift center in a way that doesn’t look phony.

Dean is yet another left-wing urban elitist from the Northeast - probably good at rallying the base on the coasts, but lousy at winning middle America, which is what the Democrats need.

His gatling-gun mouth is at once refreshing and dangerous for the Democrats. I can appreciate him not shying away from speaking his mind, but he is entirely too vitriolic and negative for a party that desperatly needs an influx of ideas and optimism. The Democratic party is nothing more than a giant reactionary echo chamber - and Dean doesn’t do anything to ameliorate that.

Bring in a Democrat that can relate to middle America - someone with a spine and a chest who, to borrow the words of a recent commentator, doesn’t believe that the enemies of the West are “misunderstood bunny rabbits”. Bring in someone who can talk about economics in a way that Americans will buy into - ie, not presenting hackneyed models of overwarmed European social democracy.

There are plenty of good things to challenge the GOP on - but Dean ain’t the man to do it.

Well said T bolt.

I really think a guy like Dean will cost them more then he brings to the table.

As a staunch Republican, We are thrilled to see Dean run the DNC.

I can’t wait until he hires friends and family…

as a person who thinks for himself , the democrats hinders them selfs , they are spineless and take as much money from big companies just like repulicans. the two party system retards democracy,both parties have failed the people

[quote]BigMike wrote:
as a person who thinks for himself , the democrats hinders them selfs , they are spineless and take as much money from big companies just like repulicans. the two party system retards democracy,both parties have failed the people [/quote]

I have to agree that both parties have failed the people!

[quote]BigMike wrote:
as a person who thinks for himself , the democrats hinders them selfs , they are spineless and take as much money from big companies just like repulicans. the two party system retards democracy,both parties have failed the people [/quote]

plus thayr always goin on an on about lernin.ive had it! my keds aint lernin!

oh whoop dee fuckin doo i misspelled some words , btw you are so funny

Howard Dean is as close to a joke as you can get and still be taken seriously! He will hurt the democrats in the coming years as he is a divider, an attack dog who is seething with hate for republicans and probably all others who do not fit his left leaning agenda.

With that said I think he was a great pick :slight_smile:

I think Dean is a minus for the Democrats. Prentending to be Rush Limbaugh sorting coke, and all the other things he says/does may play well to his East coast liberal crowd but in the South that doesn’t go over as well. I was hoping the Democrats would come to their senses and realize going farther left wasn’t the answer, but it seems Senator Clinton is the only one that has figured that out.

I think it makes very little difference who they get to run the DNC. Don’t get me wrong - as a mildy conservative moderate, I’m ecstatic to see Dean run the show.

But until the dems re-learn that ‘all politics is local’ and start LISTENING to those that voted for them, they will continue to lose, lose, lose - regardless of who is running the Party. The dems have forgotten the voter, and are filled with such partisan vitriole, that, they have no room in their lives, much less their voting record, for common sense.

[quote]boingogirl1 wrote:
BigMike wrote:
as a person who thinks for himself , the democrats hinders them selfs , they are spineless and take as much money from big companies just like repulicans. the two party system retards democracy,both parties have failed the people

I have to agree that both parties have failed the people![/quote]

Amen to that. Our trade defecit is now over 6% of our GNP. Clinton, Bush, and the rest of them have screwed us over royally.

I agree with rainjack except to add that at least Howard Dean stands up for his beliefs, unlike Kerry.

[quote]Watson2K5 wrote:
I agree with rainjack except to add that at least Howard Dean stands up for his beliefs, unlike Kerry.[/quote]

I would absolutely give him credit for that. He is proud of his record and beliefs.

I don’t agree with most of them, and I don’t think the electorate does either but he does not sugar coat it.

As long as we are comlimenting Dean I would like to chime in. I think he is one heck of a good screamer. No seriously he has a great set of lungs on him…yep…

[quote]ZEB wrote:
As long as we are comlimenting Dean I would like to chime in. I think he is one heck of a good screamer. No seriously he has a great set of lungs on him…yep…[/quote]

my bestest friend the commie lib nut job was a huge Dean supporter. Periodically, just to irritate him I’ll give a little “yyyyyeeeeaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhh”!
Usually leads to him saying “fuck you” and hanging up the phone.
They just can’t take a joke…
:wink:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

We missing one key ingredient.

What does Al “The Baron of Braun, the Icon of IQ” Shades think of Dean?

Remember, Al, he knows the moon, he knows the star.

JeffR

I think Dean has heart. I think he has guts and passion. I think he’s a smart guy with his own ideas and a backbone to stand them on. That’s what I like. Hopefully he’ll gain some perspective on the big picture and focus on ends…meaning, filling seats on the left.

[quote]Right Side Up wrote:
I think Dean has heart. I think he has guts and passion. I think he’s a smart guy with his own ideas and a backbone to stand them on. That’s what I like. Hopefully he’ll gain some perspective on the big picture and focus on ends…meaning, filling seats on the left.[/quote]

I think it’s going to be difficult for him to achieve that goal of “filling seats on the left.” He and to many of his cronies alienate so many in the middle. When have you ever seen anyone on the far right, or far left bring people into their party?

[quote]JeffR wrote:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

We missing one key ingredient.

What does Al “The Baron of Braun, the Icon of IQ” Shades think of Dean?

Remember, Al, he knows the moon, he knows the star.

JeffR[/quote]

it’s like Rocky 4 when he looks at Apollo before the fight with Drago and says "hey you think you got enough names?