How You Deal with Critics?

So, it just happend to me. Yesterday I broke the 500-pound squat finally. Seeing you guys its not really that impressive. And I dont feel nothing more that the day before yesterday, but this guy asked me today if I really have squated that and I said yes and he was like :" Yeah right, you probably just barely bended you knees."
It wasnt ATG squat but I still it was deep enough.
So how you guys dont get bugged by this sort of comments?

a 500 pound squat IS impressive man! Don’t downplay it, you done fucking awesome.

Guys like that are just jealous and insecure. It sucks but you really just have to ignore it.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
a 500 pound squat IS impressive man! Don’t downplay it, you done fucking awesome.

Guys like that are just jealous and insecure. It sucks but you really just have to ignore it.[/quote]

Word. Most people can’t do this. That guy was a naysayer because most people can’t do a legit 500 lb squat. The best way to deal with critics is to keep your mouth shut and keep doin’ yo thang.

Thanks guys. I thinks it bugged me cause few months ago I decided to be honest about the work and to get it done. Before that I used to half-assed it on the hardest sets. And now when I’ve work so hard just to get in some normal level for seriously training people he and his friends make it sound like I’ve half-assed it again… Look at me, sounding like little pussy whining. Keep it up guys!

Invite him to the gym to critique your form and while there to offer advice on how to improve performance, if advice is needed.

This is primarily a way to turn a potentially negative exchange into something productive, but if the guy is being derisive for the sake of it, it may also shut him up because it will expose his lack of knowledge/experience with the movement.

h8ers gonna h8

fuck them simple enough keep movitating yourself people are always jealous of something they cant do bro
thats a FACT
dont worry for every one of those haters there is gonna be somebody impressed

I try to be as objective as possible about my achievements and always have a set of reference points. I’m very anal about these type of things.

The result is that I’m not really affected by criticisms nor praise since I typically know better what it’s “worth”.

However, sometimes I wish I was that guy that feels like a million bucks whenever somebody gives him a compliment.

First, congrats on a great new squat!

When it’s not professional critique regarding your job or something similar, just lol and go on.

For a weight PR like that, the easiest way to deal with critics is to set it in a meet. I don’t care what some guy in the gym says, I got 3 whites.

If it IS a gym lift, I honestly don’t count it for much as it is.

But given that this is the bodybuilding forum, fuck what someone thinks about your lifts, your physique will reflect your hard work and they can’t dispute that. The evidence is right there.

I challenge them to cage matches at SummerSlam Royal Rumble or WrestleMania

[quote]ToTheTop_TTT wrote:
So, it just happend to me. Yesterday I broke the 500-pound squat finally. Seeing you guys its not really that impressive. And I dont feel nothing more that the day before yesterday, but this guy asked me today if I really have squated that and I said yes and he was like :" Yeah right, you probably just barely bended you knees."
So how you guys dont get bugged by this sort of comments?[/quote]
You did great: I have a suggestion for your friend? It’s called The Bitch Slap!!!Right across his Wimpy face!!! all the best johnny

This is pretty much all spot-on.

What does this guy look like? Does he possess the strength or physique that you aspire to? Is his opinion valid in any way, shape or form?

More importantly, why does his opinion matter, and/or affect how you go about your daily training? (It shouldn’t.)

You can be the nicest, friendliest and hardest working guy in the world, and there will always be at LEAST one guy who will dislike you… for whatever reason. It’s going to happen. Best thing is to note it and use it as motivation, or to totally disregard it and continuing down your path of success. In all likelihood, he will look similar to how he did today in five years, where you will have greatly surpassed him.

Stop caring about the opinion of sheep lol, you should have recorded it instant proof for anyone and good to see your form and progress.

Kick him in the nuts.

On the other hand there are A LOT of people doing just that, bend their needs a little bit.

Gotta love that.

I had some great newbie gains, and I was surrounded by a lot of people who had no idea what they were doing. Loved the steroid comments. Always a good time with these lackies.

[quote]SSC wrote:
This is pretty much all spot-on.

What does this guy look like? Does he possess the strength or physique that you aspire to? Is his opinion valid in any way, shape or form?
[/quote]

Well, no. He actually is doing just bench pressing and goes to a lot of meeting but just with bench pressing.

And to be fair, he has solid 400+ pound bench.

I’d take it as a compliment.

Incredulity in the face of your awesome= Flattering!

Just imagine them naked with really comically small, mishapen meatboxes struggling to clean & press a 5kg pink dumbell.

I know it’s always easier said than done, but once you truly don’t give a rats ass what anyone else thinks, the happier you’ll be. When I started competing, everyone in my gym would come up to me offering unsolicited, and basically bad advice. I quickly learned it was best to just smile and say thanks, and then resume trying to accomplish MY goals, for MY own satisfaction.

If people are impressed, great. If people wanna bitch and complain in attempt to cut down my achievements and make themselves feel better, great. At the end of the day, neither option really affects me in the least.

S

[quote]ToTheTop_TTT wrote:
So how you guys dont get bugged by this sort of comments?[/quote]

Reminds me I started wearing long sleeve button up shirts a lot.
Especially since I’m cutting I look kinda normal in clothes.

Saw an old friend the other day and when I mentioned the gym he said, “OH, you lift weights?”

I wanted to rip my shirt off and MM pose him to death. but fuck it I do this for me.