How Would You Program Layers for Powerlifting?

Coach,

What would be a smart way to use the principles of the layer system while training for a powerlifting competition?

I need 2 days per week for the Squat and Bench and 1 day for the Deadlift.

I am a 2A. For me Squats are harder to recover from than DL.

Have you had any success using layers like this and how did you apply it?

Thanks Coach for any input.

My initial thoughts:

  • Monday: Squat - layers

  • Tuesday: Comp Bench - layers

  • Wednesday: Deadlift - Hepburn Layers (my favorite)

Thursday : Off

  • Friday:
    A. Speed Squats (6 x 3 @75%)
    B. Leg Press 4 x 6-8
    C. GHR 3 x AMRAP
    D1. Extensions 2 x 15-20
    D2. Leg Curls 2 x 15-20

  • Saturday: Close Grip Bench - layers

DAY 1

Competition-style bench press ramp to 1RM
Bench press from pins just above sticking point, start at 70% of no.1 and ramp to 1RM
Bench press lockout (from pins, last 2-3"), start at 70% of no.2 and ramp to 1RM
Speed bench 6 x 3 with 50% of no.1
DAY 2

Competition-style deadlift ramp to 1RM
Deadlift from pins just below knees, start at 70% of no.1 and ramp to 1RM
Deadlift from pins above knees, start at 70% of no.2 and ramp to 1RM
Speed squat, 50% of max squat 6 sets of 2 reps
Prowler heavy pushes (as heavy as possible for 20 yards) 6 sets of 20 yards
DAY 3

Snatch-grip high pulls ramp to 1RM
Snatch-grip low pulls, start at 70% of no.1 and ramp to 1RM
Clean-grip low pulls, start at 70% of no.2 and ramp to 1RM
Romanian deadlift 3 x 6-8 reps
DAY 4

Competition-style bench press ramp to 3RM
Competition-style bench press 8 x 3 @ 90% of no.1
Close-grip bench from pins (just above sticking point) 4 sets of 3 with 80% of no.1
DB shoulder press 4-5 sets of 6-8 reps
DAY 5

Competition-style deadlift ramp to 3RN
Competition-style deadlift 6 sets of 3 with 90% of no.1
Back squats 4-5 sets of 6-8 reps
Prowler sprints (moderate weight, maximum speed over 30m) 6 sets
DAY 6

Snatch-grip high pulls ramp to 3RM
Snatch-grip high pulls, 6 sets of 3 reps with 90% of no.1
RDL 4-5 sets of 8-10 reps
DAY 7

Slight decline bench (not from pins) ramp to 6RM
Slight decline bench (not from pins) 4 sets of 6 with 90% of no.1
Slight decline close-grip bench (not from pins) 4 sets of 6 with 80% of no.1
Rope triceps extension 4-5 x 8-10
DAY 8

Deadlift standing on a 2" block ramp to 6RM
Deadlift standing on a 2" block 4 sets of 6 with 90% of 6RM
Back squat 3 sets of 10-12
Prowler for distance (moderate weight and speed) max distance in 10 minutes
DAY 9

Snatch-grip high pulls ramp to 6RM
2, Snach-grip high pulls 4 sets of 6 with 90% of no.1
DAY 10
Meet simulation

DO THAT CYCLE 3 TIMES, REST 1 DAY AFTER DAY 6 AND DAY 10

1 Like

Thibs old answer but probably has new approach.

try the Power look Program by CT ?

seriously how is it possible to recover naturally from this approach ? only 1 rest after day 6 of 1 rm lift shit…

1 Like

Thanks for your response but it has problems for me.

The biggest one, no squat.

2nd big problem. For my weight (79KG), my bench is advanced (150KG). There’s no damn way I could handle lifting like that. My rotator cuff would be torn to oblivion.

It’s great for looking Jacked, getting strong, and being a badass. But pretty inefficient for powerlifting.

Did you look at the program ? i don’t think this is inefficient for powerlifting. or what you think is innefficient for powerlifting ? The ig you post for powerlifting countain so much isolation work, powerlook countain assistance work to get stronger on the big lift…

Yes.

I should have said for me. Not good to make blanket statements. Several things. It only has 2 of the competition lifts. Front squats and pushpress are not comp lifts. I need a higher frequency (2 days Bench, 2 days Squat) or a much higher volume of doing the actual lift. At least for me and in my opinion. One who trains for powerlifting should spend at least 70% of their time training on doing the actual lifts or close variations. The other 30% for accessories to build muscle on weak points and amplifying strong points.

Front squats don’t really help me on my comp Squat. I am a hip dominant squatter because of my leverages. While it’s still good to have strong quads. I am much better off strengthening my hips, glutes, and hams. Front squats don’t do that. Low bar does.

As for the pushpress. I have much more success on my bench by NOT training the shoulders heavy. Giving the OHP its own day always makes my bench suffer. I have much more success by training my bench heavier with more frequency/volume and leaving the OHP to accessory work. Usually by way of dumbbell pressing in the hypertrophy range.

Im sure you can edit it to your needs like this guy did Modified 10 Day Layers for Powerlifting

1 Like

915 would be my all time fave CT programme. I like squatting twice a week as well.