How Would You Do Chuck Sipes Layers?

I’ve have been reading a lot on Chuck Sipes and his programs and they remind me a lot of yours. How would you design a Sipes inspired layer?

Something like this?

Ramp deadlift from pins 2- 3 reps

Ramp deadlift from floor 8,8, 6,6, 4,4,2,2,1,1

Deadlift lockout holds or Heavy farmers Walks or 1 arm hangs for 3 x 60-30 secs

Yeah that actually looks like something I would do. And yes, his methods are similar to mine because I’ve always been heavily influenced by old-school lifters. Sipes, Hepburn and Ditillo being my main ones.

Chuck sipes powerbuilding routine lots of fun

alternate exercises and it almost has a b4b feel. his love for cheat curls/arm training is also unique

Sipes has a cool version of wrist curls he taught to draper.

1 Like

Epic. Apparently chuck himself and sources all say he was lifetime natural. Not sure if buy that but regardless inspirational levels of strength.

I’m doing his power building program (below), but taking a day in between (EOD). Too intense to do back to back. I alternate through the major compounds in B4B. Gotta take care of those joints.

Could be possible but unlikely. But he would not have used huge doses. Back in the beginning of he Mr"Olympia days (1966) bodybuilders were taking 5-10mg of dianabol a day!

The first steroid to be used in the US (dianabol) was introduced to the us in 1959.by Dr.John Ziegler who used it with two guinea pigs (Louie Ricke and Bill Marsh). Steroids started being used in 1960 but only by the olympic lifing team (Ziegler was the team doctor). It took some time (2 years or so) for steroids to become wide spread among weightlifters and likely bodybuilders.

If Sipes was using steroids it would have been in the later part of his career, probably around 1964-1965. He did compete right up to the early 70s, so he likely at least tried them. But he was already very high level without them.

2 Likes

Sipes swore by the double pyramid scheme of 8, 8, 6, 6, 4, 4, 2, 2, 1, 1 for size and strength gains.

1 Like