T Nation

How Would You Decribe 'Abusing Steroids?'

how would you describe it?
where is the border line?

would you call abusing when one never comes off the stuff (like pro bodybuilders who are on the stuff for many years to come) ? would you call normal cycles (8-12 weeks cycle) but at high doses (2000mg a week of test stacked with other stuff)?

I have done a few cycles and although I absolutely love bodybuilding, I want to have children in future..... I want to see them grow and get married ..........

I don't want not being able to have children due to abusing steroids and low sperm count (or damaged sperm) !! Yes I know many poeple like arnold or kevin levrone or lee haney have children but then I have heard stories of bodybuilders who will never be able to have children due to the damage caused by steroids.

Tell me this.... How should i cycle my steroids to be able to have a somewhat healthy life?thanks

If you want kids use hcg on cycle.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

well HCG is usually used in cycles longer than 6 weeks and that is because testicular atorphy happens around after 6 weeks on cycle , and my cycles are usually 4 weeks on 4-6 weeks off with short esters such as test prop!! I don't really think HCG is necessary for cycles as short as mine!

everytime I read one of your posts I get that stupid song in my head now... "pump it up.. you've got to pump it up" off that steroid documentary haha

Usually? Didn't you post not too long ago about a first cycle?

But sorry, I don't have an answer to your question, I have no clue how that would affect reproductive capabilities with short cycles. My guess is less effect, so I doubt you have a reason for concern, but there are many people who could give you far more information than me on this topic.

Agree with BBB's definition. I think addiction to AAS is quite subtle. Because with a drug like marijuana you might have a serious problem if you were lighting up 5 times a day, but using dbol 5 times a day at regular intervals is a legitimate way of maintaining blood levels. The danger is when, like BBB said, you use more than you need or for long periods of time that cannot be justified.

Agree with BBB's definition. I think addiction to AAS is quite subtle. Because with a drug like marijuana you might have a serious problem if you were lighting up 5 times a day, but using dbol 5 times a day at regular intervals is a legitimate way of maintaining blood levels. The danger is when, like BBB said, you use more than you need or for long periods of time that cannot be justified.

Be smart and get some sperm frozen. That's what I did before I started using. Then you can hammer all the gear you want (joke). The risk to fertility comes from the possibility of permanent shutdown of LH and FSH. It is actually quite a low risk, I know a doctor who has dealt with a lot of AAS hormonal cases and he says for the most part, even heavy users can regain sperm count after an extended layoff. We are talking 1 or two YEARS off gear though for this.

It is also possible to use injectible FSH and HCG or actual LH to induce spermatogenesis for conception.

Thats why I wrote "injectible FSH". The most common med for this is pergonal, which is a mixture of the two hormones.

I'll parrot a lot of what Bushy said, but to me it's staying on long term, or never coming off. You don't need super long cycles, or the blast and cruise approach unless you are a competetive BB'er. Recovering is absolutely necessary for the average user to stay in the game long term while remaining healthy and without long term, nagging/lingering effects. While on you feel and look great, but it's important to remember that when off you will undoubtedly lose something, but you gotta stick to the plan to recover no matter what games your head is playing with you. Falling in love with being on, to the point where you need to be on just to feel normal or adequate is a trap tons of guys fall into.

As BBB also mentioned, using compounds which alter your behaviour. It does happen, and for me, it's using tren. I love the body comp effects the stuff promotes, but even at low doses it is not agreeable with me. I value my relationship with my wife and kids so I steer clear. It's probably different for each individual, but I think it's important you know how you react to certain things and to evaluate the risk vs reward.

Using super high doses. Again unless you compete (and even to a degree if you do) you usually need less than you think. After doing this for several years and learning all along the way, I've found that less is generally more. I still run about a gram of total gear, but it's usually divided between 3 to 4 well thought out compounds (for synergy), and I have found my results are better with much less negative sides. No more 2 grams of test, or a similar number of a couple compounds for me personally. I used to think my sweet spot was in the 1200-1600 mg range of total gear, and back then it may have been, but as I've learned to train more effectively and time my nutrition better I find that I do better with right around a gram total. The benefits are still great,and the side effects are less pronounced and much easier to control with proper ancillary use.

I've been guilty of all of the above at times, but have learned through trial and error, plus personal experience how to put it all into perspective and feel better than I ever have at this point. Your mind is quite possibly the number one thing that you need to have control over to avoid falling into the "abuser" category.

I probably haven't said anything life changing or ground breaking, but just thought I'd share my POV.

No problem, I could have written it better. What I meant was that either LH or HCG can be used in combo with FSH for fertility treatment.

As for the topic of abuse, I think that according to medical standards we are all "abusers" of steroids since we are using the drugs for a non-medical purpose. Of course I think this is ridiculous, but that's what drug abuse is usually classed as.

Since the amounts used by individuals vary quite a lot, and depend on the individuals goals, I think its also quite hard to specify a specific point where dosage translates into abuse. I would echo bushy's sentiments, and say that abusing steroids would be using them with complete disregard for your health. As long as you are aware of all the possible side effects, especially the more serious ones such as infertility and heart trouble, and take measures to avoid them; (freeze some sperm, cycle off as planned, regular blood work/blood pressure, yearly echocardiogram etc.) then you are not abusing them.

Thanks everyone for the insight !

If we are honest, we're all abusing since whenever we take more that TRT levels, we exceed what our bodies can produce. I'd go with what juice20jd has said though. Feeling like shit yet keeping on juicing, taking more than 1g a week, etc. And to me "Blast and cruise" = never going off, and some guys "cruise" at 500mg a week!

I'm much older now - well the number says that but I don't look or feel old :slight_smile: - so I am considering doing the blast and cruise approach, with the cruise being a mere 100mg of Masteron or 50/50 Mast + Test. I realize that I'm "addicted" to the recuperative powers and drive (and SEX drive) I have while on or at TRT levels. When you go off AAS and are older, you can feel yourself aging by the day, and it sucks.

I don't know what I'll do. In a way, it must not be healthy to keep doing that forever and I don't want to leave my kids without a Dad just because I was addicted to training, but then again being 50+ and being totally off must be the suck when you have felt so much better before...

i like to juice because:

1- I want to be able to traing mega sets, go from light to heavy , then do drop sets and isolate the muscle in everyway possible and know that I haven't overtrained

2- I like to juice because I want to be able to train 5 days a week knowing that I haven't over trained

3- I like to juice because I want to not worry when my body is in catabolic or anabolic state

4- I like to juice because I like to train! Because I love training , because I hate off days and because I can't live with having 3-4 days of working out perweek only for 45 mins to 1 hour

^This^