How would bodybuilder do as athletes?

I think a lot of bodybuilding does transfer over to sports, but pro bodybuilders probably would not have the endurance necessary. I remember watching the Superstars competition, which pitted athletes from various sports in events that were outside of their field of expertise. There was one bodybuilder in the competition; I can’t remember who that was, but he was huge. He didn’t do so bad. I remember the announcers who were gushing about how fast the guy was in the 400 meter dash. So, I’d say, though bodybuilding movements are not ideal for sports, they certainly are better than being sedentary.

I believe Ferigno and Columbu both did the strongman stuff. What if a pro bodybuilder went and trained like an athlete for a year or more. I could see some of them being DT’s. In the current condition, all bodybuilders are good at are doing the movements to make them big.

no splits for athletes. NONE. DOn’t do 'em. Or if you do, do them for a short time in the offseason. There are numerous items everywhere that say not to do this. Science and Practice says this. Pretty much every OL and its benefits in sport-- sites say this. Even Pavel hinted at this in his interview.

Just curious, how many of you anti-bodybuilders have ever done precontest training? for my last precontest, i took to cross-country training with the team at my college followed by sprints 4 times a week in conjunction with my training regimen, as a bodybuilder(not an athelete) I could run a 4.4 40 yard dash, and keep up in a 5k with half the runners on the team, so I think bodybuilding has more functional applications than you realize

Robusto u must not be a muscley as some of the pro drug monkeys. I highly doubt any of them could run a 5K or do more then three sprints with out having a near stroke.

I am a collegiate football player (1st string, my school is in the big 10 conference) I am also an NPC bodybuilder. (2 contests: 1st place, 8th place) Soon to be entering my first WPO (World Powerlifting Organization) contest. Bodybuilders can be great athletes look at the incredible hulk, he was a great bodybuilder and a world champion strong man.

to clear this up, i am not anti-bodybuilding per say. I am on a pretty low carb diet right now btw.