T Nation

How Will I Hit 2/3/4 Plates?

Injury, slow recovery, amazing sleep, a lot of food.

Do i just have shit genetics? or are my expectations too high? I started out at around 5’8 and 127lbs, im now about 5’9 152lbs (19 y/o) and was very weak.

Beginning lifts
4x4 70lbs
Deadlift sub 100 probably
Row 65
Squat don’t know was an idiot, got injured doing like 65 lol.
Overhead press bar

Current lifts
Bench 3x5 125
Overhead press 3x5 80
Row 140 3x8 (i don’t even row often wtf lol… like once every 2 weeks)
Squat 110 2x5 1x6
Deadlift 190 1x5

Anyway, the first time i started squatting months ago i injured my self. that was my fault 100%, it put me out for a while from deadlifts and squats.

I’ve been doing them again consistently, just got a power rack, and started at like 65lbs. I got to 110lbs a bit below parralel. recently, it felt way harder, but i was confident. I did 3x5 + 1 extra on amrap. I felt fine, my hip “kind of” hurt, it was not bad at all 1/10.

But now if i lay on my side or something my hip and even sometimes near my knee will really hurt.

How the hell can i ever hit these weights if i gain over a lb a week to ensure good nutrition and recovery but i get injured WITH good form on the squat. I also don’t really gain strength that fast it seems, sometimes i struggle to add 5lbs to my 190lb deadlift. (had to redo 190 last week)

sorry for the mess… i have a lot of ideas i want to get out but i know i cant do it.

If this were easy you wouldn’t need to train. Keep the faith, do the right things and you will get better. Your body will adapt.

Ok cool, I guess ill have to accept that i fucked up hard, had a bad gym etc in the beginning, and had to learn how to do everything right. it’s been like 6 months, but only 2 of them have been actual consistent lifting.

I’m not sure if im going to deadlift today or what with this possible injury. i think i will, so i can continue with my gains, and ill just see how it feels from there. Or i can deload the deadlift since im struggling anyway.

Start too light. Progress slowly.

Don’t let your ego lead to injury. Keep the weights light for awhile. Make sure you drill down form on all your compound lifts. Then SLOWLY, start increasing the weight. The minute your form breaks down, end the set.

Work in some mobility/recovery work whenever you can.

Ok, ill just deload more often then, since ive done what you said, i really really focus on form and try to figure out whats best for my anthrompometry.

It just makes no sense

105 i can do EASILY like 3x8, but when i hit 110 its very tough and i injure something associated with lateral rotation and abduction. (when i feel the pain)

Post a video of you lifting. Your idea of good form might be different to other peoples.

I do not think your problem will be solved by more deloads. If you are getting injured under the bar you need to fix how you move first.

Learn to lift, then put your foot on the gas.

My form is good, it might just be some mobility issue, it feels like a predisposition, it’s the exact muscle that got injured before. my left side never feels it. ill see if i can fix it through even more mobility work, i can ass to grass comfortably though without any issue or lower back rounding, so i don’t really have a clue.

How do you know this is true? Getting injured with 65lbs and having hip pain at age 19 are not markers of good form.

Definitely post a video. If you’re getting hurt with light weights chances are you’re doing something wrong.

Also, bracing. Learning how to do this correctly will protect you and allow you to light more weight. You should brace so hard it hurts.

In a thread on the powerlifting forum, you said you were deadlifting sub 400.

Now, yes, I realize that sub 190 is sub 400, but I feel like this is still a pretty large disconnect. By chance, are you sharing this account?

its not really bad, it’s like 2/10 pain, and only if i try to make it hurt, otherwise i can squat down and everything pretty well.

My adductor is pretty sore too, only right side, so im thinking its just a mobility thing. My right side seems tighter.

ill try to get a video to you guys soon if i can (no phone, gotta get someone to assist me)

That’s not pain. That’s mild stiffness at most. Big difference.

If you really want all those lifts, you’ll need to be around 190-210 lbs lean. You’re very light for your height. You may get the deadlift at a lighter weight, but at a guess you’ll need to be around 180 lbs minimum for that.

You’ll also need to be patient, consistent and intelligent in your training and nutrition; and above all work hard. If you rate 2/10 as pain, I don’t think you know what hard work is. Change that.

Whaaaat…??

You realise you are in the gym to break muscle right? Not connective tissue…

Haha, im talking about after. ahahahahah sorry for being unclear.

Knowing what pain is would put it at a lower level, bro, lol and my top pains ever that really really hurt are probably only a 4 on the scale if 10 is the most painful thing possible.

Damn 190, that’s a distance, ill get there, but not this year. Thanks for the info, ill continue, if I break down in form next week ill just drop weight. I appreciate it all. :slight_smile:

Reading this back and forth brings out the crotchety old bastard in me.

Look, deloading is something you do when you’ve been working weeks on end at more than 80% 1RM on a lift and your muscles and CNS are fried or when you’re getting ready for a competition. Even then, I’ve known more than a few guys whose deloading workout was to warmup and do a max out on a lift each day and spent the rest of the day doing light assistance work. And when you’re new, working above 80% doesn’t even mean as much because you’re still not really taxing your body enough to build cumulative fatigue.

If you’ve only been training for 6 months and only 2 of those have been consistent, your body hasn’t adapted to recruiting all your resources. Deloading for you at this point is wasting your time during your best gaining years.

Here’s the quick and dirty: lift weight hard. Lift the most you can in your rep range without form breaking down. If you find a weight to heavy to complete your final set, back off a bit the next session or try to get 1 rep more until you close your sets. Quit saying your form is good unless you’ve got an experienced eye with you telling you your form is good. Learn the difference between soreness and pain. If there’s pain in a particular movement, it can be a mobility issue if it’s a new movement or it could be your body telling you you’re about to royally screw something up. If you’re just sore, that’s how you know you’re doing something. I don’t want you to be discouraged at all because this is a great hobby and there’s nothing like the feeling of closing out another plate on a lift, but respect the game. The best lifters are the ones that are students in every aspect (form, technique, training, etc) until they die.

I’ll now put away the crotchety old bastard.

By:

-Not overdoing it on bench

-Learning a good form and mechanics on squat and fixing issues

-Simply doing the deadlift with a single ramp up for low reps, straps if needed