How Weak/Uncoordinated Were You?

When I first started lifting? Hmmm…let’s see… 30 sets of 10 reps of dumbbell curls with 6-8kg everyday for 3 months. No progression whatsoever and I couldn’t stop wondering why I can’t lose the damn fat and look like arnold already.

I started lifting my freshman year or high school, and I was sad when I only benched 85 lbs. Even among the other kids my age, I was weaker than most. I was slow and pudgy, basically a FFB at the time. By the time I graduated I could bech 315 for 3 reps, do 12 dips, squat 475 for 3 reps, and power clean 275 at a bodyweight of about 245ish.

Looking back it’s an absolute miracle I didn’t maim myself for life the first couple months I was ever in a gym.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
hahaha once again…

holymacaroni the summer of junior/senior year of HS[/quote]

WHAT ???

Jesus, I thought that pic was from when you were like 13 or some shit.

Good job on not sucking at life anymore Mac.

Started at 17 when I got to college. 6’1 and 145 pounds. I had a Phys Ed class wich gave me a discount for the gym membership so I said to myself “why not”. After a couple on months I got hooked. Still took me 1.5-2 year to figure what I should be doing…

I still have the sheet with my first program…

Bench : 2 sets of 15 with 95#
Deadlift : 2 sets of 10 with 65#
Squat : 3 sets of 6 with 115#
Curls : 2 sets of 6 with 65#

Why the f*ck was I curling the same thing I was using for deads ?!

lol@ rackpulls with 170

im laughing with you though man.

i think i was benching around 135 after a short while training. i was adding weight every time we trained in my friend’s basement, i was proud of myself for going every day and being the strongest one, except for my friend who’s house it was, but i eventually surpassed him also. i never looked at it as a competition between me and them though. it wasn’t my goal to beat them it was my goal to make myself stronger and as long as i was doing that i was winning.

the first page of my logbook says

" December 24, Monday

1st Day of DC

Weight 199.6 "

i know thats bullshit right off the bat caue i didnt weigh even 195 til last year lol.

A1

Chest - Wide Grip Hammer 3 45s 13-2-1 (16 RP)

Shoulders - overhead press 1 35 6-3-2 (11 RP)

Triceps - no Static - Dip Machine 4-6-4 (?) 3 45’s

Back Width - Pulldowns (no weight given)

Back Thickness - Rackpulls - 305 12-6-5

man, that was a long time ago, back when i trained at a place called Super Fitness which got closed down like 3 months after i joined b/c it was bought out by Planet Fitness.

i think that was in 2007 or 2008. it was fairly recent to when i joined the site and got into arguments with the DC guys about me being ready for DC. im just a hard headed person and have to learn everything for myself, so eventually i dropped DC because i felt i wasn’t strong enough yet. but i always had the mentality to train to failure, that’s something i had ever since i started lifting and it was never an issue for me.

Well i have only been training in the gym 3 weeks :stuck_out_tongue:

1st Incline Bench was 45kgs
1st Back Squat was 60kg
1st Flat Bench was 40kg
1st Deadlift was 80kg

3 weeks later:

Incline Bench is 62.5kgs
Back Squat is 110kg
Flat Bench is 65kg
Deadlift is 100kg

All for 8-10 reps

I also played sport all my life think my legs were already pretty damn strong my upper body is playing catch up, though in 3 weeks i’ve progressed pretty damn well and added 20lbs to myself, so once someone learns the exercise i think one can progress quite fast.

3 week progression log:

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
hahaha once again…

holymacaroni the summer of junior/senior year of HS[/quote]

Man, that looks like me as a senior in HS. 140lbs., took 1 gym class my senior year (only gym class ALL of HS as well), beginning weightlifting/conditioning. Lifted MWF, ran stairs T/Th. The teacher thought I was a big freshman :frowning: It wasn’t until I told her that I was going to miss a few days for college visits that she realized I was a senior.

I was always good at sports, played soccer up until 12 then gained too much weight and didn’t feel like playing it anymore. Always wanted to try football but i was a pussy.

First time i stepped in the gym i did machines and cardio, that went on for 2 weeks, i found T-Nation and read about starting strength.

First logged workout has this 2-3 weeks in:

Squats: 225 3x5
Bench Press: 115lb 3x5
Deadlift: 305 3x5

I was 220ish pounds at the time mostly made up of fat on a 5’10 frame.

My brother is also pretty strong, he is 14 right now, started training 3 months ago. His old numbers were at 120lb of bodyweight he is currently 130-135 and a lot leaner. He is 5’3.

Bench 95lbx4 Current- 165x2
Squat: 135x8 Current- 275lb ATG
Deadlift: 185x3 Current- 315x3

I spent half of my life behind a computer screen, on a chair, widening my butt.

I’m 19, and now I feel the consequences… My hips are in so bad shape that I have great problems with mobility and pain (and look, I’m on the internet right now). I was overweight, but most of my weight was in the legs and still remains. When I was 16 I started with volleyball, first 2 and half years I was semi serious, but now I’m giving all I got.

I actually have reverse chicken leg syndrome, my butt and legs are disproportionate to my arms and delts :smiley:

I was weak when I started. I remember squating 275 for a 1/4 rom rep and thinking I was awsome. When I finaly started going deep I realized I was pretty weak. I had to drop the weight to about 135.

My form was always pretty good on most lifts but I got some bad info on squats when I started. I played sports all my life. I played hockey, Skiied, Snowboarded, Baseball, skateboard etc… I basically left the house in the morning and played whatever sport every other kid in the neighborhood was playing. Sometimes it was baseball, sometimes it was soccer, sometimes it was hockey.

Started around 280lbs, and completely untrained. Despite being fat I took martial arts during High School, and I have a first degree black belt in TKD. So I’ve always been reasonably coordinated but completely out of shape. My flexibility was also a disaster. Was almost completely sedentary during the first few years of college and that’s when I really put on the ‘size.’

When I first started training, I struggled through basic bodyweight squats, lunges, pushups and the plank etc. I did a lot of band work. I remember trying to run (because I thought it was a good way to get lean at the time) on a treadmill and making it about 5 minutes before I had to quit.

I’m not impressively strong now by any means but it’s fun being able to hold my own and move things around that weigh over 200 lbs :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]matko5 wrote:
I actually have reverse chicken leg syndrome, my butt and legs are disproportionate to my arms and delts :D[/quote]

Also this! ^

Big legs on account of carrying my fat ass around for years. It’s an awesome excuse however to do what my friend calls my “meathead workout.” I.e. a disproportionate amount of upper body work lol