How Trustworthy is the MSM?

The notion that the news media has an agenda is nothing new. The phrase yellow journalism is from the turn of the last century.

Who could forget this tune from the 80’s. Sums it up pretty well for me. The question is does it matter? Is society hurt by news guys with a slant?

Oh I understand nearly all media is biased. I just don’t hate on businesses for being businesses. Just thought the Zimmerman thing was a silly way to take a shot at the media.

1 Like

Ok, but here’s a perfect example - someone compiled those images and dated them to make this point. Who? Are they credible? Do you know if those dates match up to the photos?

So, let’s use this and start here. Where did this expose come from?

From Google images.

I’m not really interested in Digging up perfect sources for a 5 year old event that I followed closely at the time. You can go look at the original mugshot used by the MSM versus the unedited pictures of him.

But the above is only the tip of the iceberg from the trial. Off the top of my head

1. They edited Zimmerman’s 9/11 call to make him appear racist

2. they would use photos of Trayvon Martin at 12 years old to make him look much smaller and weaker than he actually was. In reality he was a strong 17 year old with experience in fighting

3. they pushed the narrative that a racist white man shot a black teen when Zimmerman is mixed heritage including African. Zimmerman use to tutor black teens IIRC

There’s probably more I just don’t feel like looking it up

1 Like

Of course you don’t, and that’s entirely my point - you rail on the inaccuracy of media you don’t like, but you have no interest on confirming the quality of veracity of the media you do like. Some bozo (who can’t even spell Zimmerman’s name right) strings together some mugshots of the guy, photoshops (poorly) sources and dates of the photos to make a point, and you take him at his word because you’re politically motivated to believe what he just “reported”. So, you take it as truth, even though there’s no facial reason to.

Truly “fake news” exists precisely because of news consumers like you.

4 Likes

If it were a current case I’d do it, it’s not.

Hey TB
Shouldn’t you be heading to the church house right now?:blush:

I can’t agree that all fake news is aimed at an undiscriminating viewer.
There is definitely some false narrative pushed on a deliberate basis (maybe the 24/7 news cycle heightens its seeming preponderance).

You brought out yellow journalism is my old msm thread, and l concur. Too much consumption is making the sky fall (right mom and dad?). I find myself withdrawing from more than a cursory look at current events.

If you care enough to refute what I posted above go ahead and dig it up.

There’s plenty of fake news propagated by the media.

You’re fully on board with defending them because they’re 90%+ anti Trump

This was posted in another thread reposting it here

Here’s a question:

Why is there a liberal media bias? If the bottom line is to sell advertising time and increase viewership, it must be a sound business decision. Based on data I could find, those that watch more “liberal” sources tend to be younger, have higher education levels, and make more money than those that watch “conservative” shows. It would make sense that if you were to start a news company or take over one, you would be smart to have a liberal slant. Section 4: Demographics and Political Views of News Audiences | Pew Research Center

What I find to be unfortunate is that there are “news” outlets that support anyone’s ideology, and many people tend to only listen to those that reinforce their views and even make them more extreme and narrow.

Because the majority of the country is liberal.

Yes. I live in the Bay Area where literally everyone is liberal (which is fine by me), but have also lived in another state where the opposite was mostly true. If I were an advertiser, guess who I’d target?

They edited the tape of Zimmerman’s 911 call to make him look racist. Here’s your link for one of the above

My guess why the MSM is so liberal : the ultra rich want cheap labor and the best way to control a democracy is through the media and through academia.

They want endless immigration

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-florida-shooting-nbc-idUSBRE83609U20120407

Like I’ve said, fake news doesn’t self-correct.

It’s still fake news with the intent to deceive

How many people here know who Walter Duranty is?

I’ll grant that the result of the original editing was to render the recording deceptive. That said, the motive underlying that deception–advancing a liberal agenda, or advancing ratings by making the story more dramatic–is an open question.

However, it was not fake news. We know this because the source self-corrected.

Just when I thought we were having an adult conversion…

1 Like

No, I’ve been converted to Calvinism and now believe in predestination, so since nothing I do matters, I’m skipping all that. ;)[quote=“treco, post:27, topic:230683”]
I can’t agree that all fake news is aimed at an undiscriminating viewer.
There is definitely some false narrative pushed on a deliberate basis
[/quote]

Here’s my problem with this - if true, what is the false narrative? And why is it false?

All I hear is that the liberal MSM is engaging in “fake news” and when pressed to explain what that is, all that is really said is news critical of Trump. That’s really it.

Well, that’s not a credible definition of news that’s actually fake, so until someone complaining about fake news can explain what it is and where it’s really happening (which hasn’t happened), I’m not buying it.