T Nation

How to Work the Legs with a Severe Shoulder Injury?

Hello Christian,

I’m actually dealing with an important injury on my right shoulder (have been 8 months so far…still cannot do upperbody exercices or hold a weight with my right and) and after 8 month stoppage I’m sick and tired of this, and want to get back to the gym.

Of course, I can’t do a normal routine, because even holding a 10 kg dumbell would hurt my shoulder, but I think a leg/abs routine would work just fine and would boost my mood (pretty low right now).
What would you suggest for such a routine? I was thinking to use weight (leg press, as I can’t squat now), cycling and running…how would you arrange it in terms of intensity and volume?

Thank you in advance

R

You can do leg press, leg extension, leg curl, back extension, single leg extension, single leg curl, single leg press, walkng backward with a sled, stationary bike with a lot of resistance, etc. Lots of stuff you can do… you can train legs hard 3x a week easily

Thank you very much!

I’ve found an old article of yours named “Hungarian Oak Leg Blast”. Two workout x week…still a good option or you would do something more “classic”?

Isnt that program based on squats?

Yes, I would change it to leg press, using the same time pattern used in that program (2 min and up). I know it is not optimal and that squat would be a far better option…but for now I can’t.

Silly idea or it can work?

It can work… BUT the problem is that the squat is a whole lower body exercise that hits the hamstrings and glutes pretty well. The leg press is more of a pure quads movement… Because of that and since you can’t train the upper body I would likely add variety to the program.

Maybe doing the hungarian leg blast mon & fri then doing 3 sets of back extension and leg curls

And on Wednesday I would do stationary bike with a lot of resistance for 3-5 sets of 45 sec (intense) suprersetted with sets of single leg curl (alternating leg on each rep) for 8-10 reps per side. Then a superset of leg extensions and leg curls (seated if possible, just for variation) for 3-5 sets of 8-10 reps

Thank you! Will do as suggested!!!

When i was recovering from biceps tendon surgery I trained legs up to 5x a week without a problem. The one thing I would add is write everything down so you have a record of weights used so that you aren’t tempted to do too much too soon with a resultant negative impact.

Thank you!