How to Win Friends and Influence People

Anyone ever read this book? How helpful was it for you if you did?

Seems like a really good book in my opinion and has obviously had tons of success in the last 70 years

Try hitting her.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
Try hitting her.[/quote]

Even though I saw that coming from a mile away, I still found it funny. :smiley:

I’ve heard of it but never took the initiative to check it out.

My book reading queue is long and I’m a slow reader… so it might be a while.

Never read it but should I?

I don’t know if I would feel comfortable about manipulating people for what I want.

I’ve only read parts of it, but from what I read it was pretty good. If you like Dale Carnegie try checking out Napoleon Hill.

A trick I use when I don’t have enough time to read a book is to download the audio book, drop it in my Ipod and play them as I’m driving. I feel it helps with efficiency and I’m not really doing anything when I’m driving so why not be productive.

Hope this helps

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
Makavali wrote:
Try hitting her.

Even though I saw that coming from a mile away, I still found it funny. :D[/quote]

Just doing my duty, ma’am.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
Makavali wrote:
Try hitting her.

Even though I saw that coming from a mile away, I still found it funny. :smiley:

Just doing my duty, sir.[/quote]

Fixed that for you, you bitch. :smiley:

It’s a good book. A lot of the stuff is basic, but worth the read IMO.

Decent read, mostly common sense – same type of fodder as “Think and Grow Rich”…

I’ve heard good things about it. Had a prof in college that loved it. Always wanted to read it but haven’t gotten around to it yet… I think I’m too embarrassed to be seen in the “self help” section of Barnes and Noble.

Easy to read, and as you go from chapter to chapter you think “wow…this makes so much sense!”

Living it is a different matter. Not saying that its impossible, but you need to commit serious effort to abiding by its principles. For instance, some such as “Don’t find fault in others” can be quite difficult for people.

I’d recommend reading it, definitely, but you might consider studying some Buddhist principles instead. Seriously. It may conjure up images of chanting, beads and eastern gobble-dee-gook but there is a lot of wisdom in it. Plus the central tenets of Buddhism cover most of Dale Carnegie’s advice and virtually all of Stephen Covey’s “7 Habits of Highly Effective People”

[quote]SWK wrote:
I’ve only read parts of it, but from what I read it was pretty good. If you like Dale Carnegie try checking out Napoleon Hill.

A trick I use when I don’t have enough time to read a book is to download the audio book, drop it in my Ipod and play them as I’m driving. I feel it helps with efficiency and I’m not really doing anything when I’m driving so why not be productive.

Hope this helps[/quote]

yea thats what i’m doing now. I’m really liking it so far

am i missing something with the “try hitting her” post?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
It’s a good book. A lot of the stuff is basic, but worth the read IMO.[/quote]

[quote]pachell wrote:
Decent read, mostly common sense – same type of fodder as “Think and Grow Rich”…[/quote]

yea i guess some of it is common sense but on the other hand its a lot of stuff i wouldnt do without having the ideas reiterated like the book constantly does. Definitely makes me think more about what i should do and hopefully i’ll remember to do it when it comes to real situations

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
Easy to read, and as you go from chapter to chapter you think “wow…this makes so much sense!”

Living it is a different matter. Not saying that its impossible, but you need to commit serious effort to abiding by its principles. For instance, some such as “Don’t find fault in others” can be quite difficult for people.

I’d recommend reading it, definitely, but you might consider studying some Buddhist principles instead. Seriously. It may conjure up images of chanting, beads and eastern gobble-dee-gook but there is a lot of wisdom in it. Plus the central tenets of Buddhism cover most of Dale Carnegie’s advice and virtually all of Stephen Covey’s “7 Habits of Highly Effective People” [/quote]

yea as i said above i can see it being harder to actually put into practice. I’ve heard some say its good to read once a year. regardless it seems like if you can actually apply it it will help a lot

[quote]BruceLeeFan wrote:
Never read it but should I?

I don’t know if I would feel comfortable about manipulating people for what I want.[/quote]

Every single interaction you have is a form of “manipulation”.

And about common sense and Think and Grow Rich…I don’t think there’s anything common sense about the later chapters in that book - it’s mind-blowing stuff.

[quote]pumped340 wrote:

am i missing something with the “try hitting her” post?

[/quote]

No. You’re not missing anything… it’s just some jerk who obviously thinks abusing women is funny.

He’s a bit of a hypocrite in the humor department.

It’s been on my list to read for some time now. Heard it’s pretty damn good.

It is a good book. You may not use all the principles in the book, but some of the stuff is golden.

also, it’s a lot of common sense and we all know that unfortunately common sense is not so “common”.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
It’s been on my list to read for some time now. Heard it’s pretty damn good.[/quote]

yea its apparently one of the best selling books ever. I remember it actually being recommended in an article here

[quote]SWK wrote:

Hope this helps[/quote]

I do the the same thing in general and this is one of the specific books I’ve done in audio form.

On an unrelated note, I heard about this torrent site called demonoid…